I would be looking to see if this shot lays good first:

Attachments

• choice 1.jpg
    choice 1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0

pvclou

Verified Member
If that's no good then I'd look at this:

I want to stop the 10 ball by popping the cue ball with a little follow.

Attachments

• choice2.jpg
    choice2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

pvclou

Verified Member
If nothing sexy like that looks good then i'll just thin off the 5 into the siderail and up to the far corner pocket.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I also like the kick and would most likely shoot the shot but there is another shot that looks good providing it lays right. That would be to shoot the 7ball off the corner stripe. If the angle allows you to safely follow the cue ball past the stack I would strongly consider that shot along with the kick option. Playing the carom with the 7ball looks to be a more controlled shot that carries multiple benefits.

Bill Incardona

senor

Verified Member
That 7 ball shot Billy I mentioned is the shot that looks like it lays right. All other possibilities just look a little off.

Another shot would be to shoot the first free solid into the bottom of the free stripe and use the stack as a blocker for the cue ball. The two balls vacate the area and the cue ball is locked in the stack.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I also like the kick and would most likely shoot the shot but there is another shot that looks good providing it lays right. That would be to shoot the 7ball off the corner stripe. If the angle allows you to safely follow the cue ball past the stack I would strongly consider that shot along with the kick option. Playing the carom with the 7ball looks to be a more controlled shot that carries multiple benefits.

Bill Incardona

Normally I also like this shot, BUT.
What I don't like about the 7 ball is opening the stack up. And if you lose control of whitey, look out.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
There's a real natural path to bury him in the stack, you just have to make sure to hit it firm and get the 10 safely away from Hopkins' pocket. If the 2 clips the 1, then it should end up really nice.

I imagine if the shot is played perfect, then Hopkins would kick two rails towards the bottom of the 5.

Attachments

• Shot.JPG
    Shot.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
This is Dr. Bills shot. Pretty easy to do and easy to control the cue ball.
View attachment 9099

This shot looks good as long as the cue ball does not run toward the thirteen and ten. Should the cue ball carom into either of those two balls then it may not escape high enough to use the stack to protect the 5 ball from bank possibilities or possibly the other loose balls which are below the stack. Also by hitting the thirteen or ten balls with the cue ball several balls will scatter to the opponents side of the table. The angle must be perfect and the execution also must be perfect.
If the angle isn't there then the kick as described earlier is the way to go.
When not in trouble and with a positional advantage, take what the table gives you and don't try to force the issue with some shot which can go wrong.

Tom

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I also like the kick and would most likely shoot the shot but there is another shot that looks good providing it lays right. That would be to shoot the 7ball off the corner stripe. If the angle allows you to safely follow the cue ball past the stack I would strongly consider that shot along with the kick option. Playing the carom with the 7ball looks to be a more controlled shot that carries multiple benefits. Bill Incardona

Bill, I don't really think that shot is on. But if it were, about the only good thing that could happen there is if you actually make the 7. It opens up too many balls on the opponent's side.

A guy could thin off the 7 and try to rest the CB between the 1 and 8 balls. But my inclination is to get the 10 and 2 outta there, probably combo-banking the deuce, and spinning whitey up table, or rolling it into the stack. Depends upon the speed it takes to get the 2 to the hole.;)

Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NO COOKIES FOR YOU:p Ervolino shot the 10 off the 2 and two-railed the 10 back into the stack and used the 2 to move the 5 closer to his pocket. He handled the cueball O.K. too.

je's shot1.jpg

je's shot2.jpg

He left Hopkins here:

je's leave.jpg

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
This is Dr. Bills shot. Pretty easy to do and easy to control the cue ball.
View attachment 9099

I like going forward with the seven off the stripe too, mainly because I'll be using follow on the cue ball making the seven draw off the carom. This 12 o'clock cueball is the simplest of ALL shots. I'm real confident I can leave on the long rail all day long. It's about as simple of a lag possible.