its efrens shot...wwyd

LSJohn

Verified Member
combinate the 3-5 with soft draw, so that the five rolls right in between the 9 and 15. The three sits there, or maybe moves into the stack a little, and the cue ball would drift up table and squat right on his long rail.

These shots really require a great confidence in your touch, because should you over shoot the five, you sell out a couple of easy ones.
I considered that, and a way to play it that is less demanding is to use the 3 to hit the left side of the 5, sending both 3 and 5 into the double-up zone. With this angle you also need less draw to get whitey where you want, which seems a little easier to me.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
I'm taking a foul by pushing the cue ball behind the 8. Why? Because to much bad can happen if you kick the 8 out. There is a bank on the 5 that could give you long term grief.

wincardona

Verified Member
I believe the only two viable options available are coming off the 8ball or the 15ball. Playing off the 3balll is very difficult and too risky, imo not an option to consider. Kicking the 8ball is a way out of the immediate trap but doesn't bode well for later innings, the simplicity of this option will persuade players to choose it but imo not as good as the option kicking the 15ball. I don't believe that the kick into the 15ball using the foot rail is available, if it is then kicking in the fashion of going into the 15ball and the off the side rail into the stack would be the most productive way of answering this break. Tom's option with kicking off the top rail is imo the best option, it moves the 15ball off the side rail (huge) and should create some congestion near the foot rail where the 8ball is positioned. Moving the 15ball is crucial for getting out of this break, it will create more options for Reyes in subsequent innings.

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Doc, I assume the striped ball near the side rail is the fourteen. How would you kick it away? Foot rail first or head rail. I like going off the head rail here and kicking between it and the side rail. This pushes the fourteen into the banking lanes for the other balls below the stack. It also moves it off my opponent's side rail and into a more neutral location along the foot rail. I also think that kick is easier to control and offers a higher degree of certainty in execution.

I don't like the kick on the eight though that shot seems to beacon to be taken. The problem is the return cross bank it must leave.

Tom
It's the striped ball near SVB's hole. I guess it's the 15 (not the 14-- my eyes). I hadn't thought about kicking from the head rail. That's a good shot. But I envisioned kicking off the foot rail. It looks available with no spin, but perhaps some left spin would be necessary.

There are three ways to kick it from the foot rail: straight on; from the stack side; or two rails from behind. I'd rather get the 15 completely out of there, rather than bumping it down from the head rail. Probably kicking two rails from behind would get the best CB results-- sending the CB up into the 9.

No, I don't like the 8 ball kick either.

~Doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Tom Wirth has the right shot here.. kicking at the 8 ball is weak in this spot and you will end up in a worse trap. The 3/5 combo and twirl whitey is not the shot in this case but in other situations that type of shot is THE shot... Kick the 15 like Tom suggested

Island Drive

Verified Member
Tom Wirth has the right shot here.. kicking at the 8 ball is weak in this spot and you will end up in a worse trap. The 3/5 combo and twirl whitey is not the shot in this case but in other situations that type of shot is THE shot... Kick the 15 like Tom suggested
Yep, and near impossible to scratch. ''I dog it so bad on the keyboard'' :frus:lol

lll

Verified Member
well efren was very creative to get out of this break
he had the 13 carom off the 15
15 into the 8
cue ball off the foot rail to the 6
here is the shot and how he left it for shane
es34.jpg

es36.jpg

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Larry,
In defense of the governing group of experts here at OP.O, there was no way to see that shot unless at the table. From every picture angle it looks like that shot isn't available, looks like there is a clearance problem getting the 13 ball to hit the left side of the 15 ball. Also that 6 ball is a small catchers mitt. But hey, he's Efren Reyes, with his imagination and past experience he sees clips, angles, caroms, billiards, kicks, and ball movement in the twilight zone, plus he can execute anything his imagination can conjure.

Good WWYD Larry, but a little unfair.:):):)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
well efren was very creative to get out of this break
he had the 13 carom off the 15
15 into the 8
cue ball off the foot rail to the 6
here is the shot and how he left it for shane
Just another routine "Magician" shot.:D As usual, pretty inventive. Actually as long as the 13 hit the 15 on it's left side, the shot would work well. He just had to make sure that the CB ran into the 6.

Efren hits multiple balls shots well. So did R.A. They have an excellent sense of "gather"; always able to move stuff either to, or away from, a pocket.

~Doc

unoperro

Verified Member
Good wwyd.
If anyone ever invents a camera with no fishbowl effect,they would really have something. See many wwyd where camera distortion obscures a option. Not complaining,iiwii.

lll

Verified Member
Larry,
In defense of the governing group of experts here at OP.O, there was no way to see that shot unless at the table. From every picture angle it looks like that shot isn't available, looks like there is a clearance problem getting the 13 ball to hit the left side of the 15 ball. Also that 6 ball is a small catchers mitt. But hey, he's Efren Reyes, with his imagination and past experience he sees clips, angles, caroms, billiards, kicks, and ball movement in the twilight zone, plus he can execute anything his imagination can conjure.

Good WWYD Larry, but a little unfair.:):):)
jeff
for me the value and education of the wwyd's come not only from what is shown that the pro actually shot
i know there is pride to be the one who picked the pro's shot...:)
but much of the education for me
comes from the shot choices from everyone and the discussions that are generated regarding their strengths/weakness
if the ultimate choice was obvious these wwyd wouldnt be as much fun....:D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
jeff
for me the value and education of the wwyd's come not only from what is shown that the pro actually shot
comes from the shot choices from everyone and the discussions that are generated regarding their strengths/weakness
Exactamundo Larry,

I wasn't trying to be critical, just stating the obvious. Ergo the smileys :):):)

Cloidius

Verified Member

Efren hits multiple balls shots well. So did R.A. They have an excellent sense of "gather"; always able to move stuff either to, or away from, a pocket.

~Doc
I recently watched a match with Jay Helfert doing commentary, he said that Ronnie referred to his offensive multi-ball shots as "funneling" balls to his hole.

I have learned to trust my gut on multi-ball shots; I am not able to analyze every little subtlety of these shots, but often get a strong feeling that they will all move to my benefit. Depending on the situation, trusting my instincts can really change the complexion of the game, and often for the better!

As with many one pocket shots, my confidence is directly related to cue ball control. I try not to play these shots when the cueball has potential of interfering with the moving object balls. Efren did a nice job of understanding the speeds in this scenario, as he must have weaved that cue ball through a little traffic to get it to the six.

LSJohn

Verified Member
jeff
Some of the best stuff I get from these is the criticism -- and especially explanation of why -- of some of the inferior shots I or others have suggested. Understanding why NOT to shoot something that looks good initially is two steps forward.

Thanks again for all you contribute to this site Larry. Everybody who posts adds value, but there are a half dozen of you guys besides Steve who really make this place what it is.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

(Make that a dozen.... no, a dozen and a half.)

baby huey

Verified Member
There"s always some shot that can't be executed by mere mortals except when you are talking about BATA. That's why he is still a superior force playing one pocket in that he still has the intellect and ability to maneuver around the stack. Man did he change this wwyd around in a hurry.

lll

Verified Member
Some of the best stuff I get from these is the criticism -- and especially explanation of why -- of some of the inferior shots I or others have suggested. Understanding why NOT to shoot something that looks good initially is two steps forward.

Thanks again for all you contribute to this site Larry. Everybody who posts adds value, but there are a half dozen of you guys besides Steve who really make this place what it is.

:) :) :) :

(Make that a dozen.... no, a dozen and a half.)
thats really nice of you to say that john.,,
you are making me blush....:eek::eek::eek:
:)