Is Fats a fit?

Betdapot

Verified Member
fats accomplished what most broke ass pool players couldn't he got the cash. When Richie Florence was playing lights out fats stuck him up for a large 5 figures he out managed him. I once asked how good Minnesota fats was the reply I got was New York fats was a damn good player

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Does anyone on this site have any information on how good Fats played in the 30s and 40s? That "short-timer" in the pool world guy, CJ#1 certainly doesnt. He thinks "doggin it" means to trying to outrun the dog in somebody's yard when you are trying to deliver a package. .......... To give a good example, he didnt know me and he didnt know Artie

Beard

Your last observation is certainly accurate...I do not have the actual numbers, but I would say, that before the internet, and 'one pocket.org', that your last statement would include not only me, but EVERYBODY in the english speaking free WORLD, who was NOT a regular at a 'rat infested' dungeon, of a pool room called "Bentslinger's" (or something like that)...You should profusely thank your favorite lib, Al Gore for inventing the internet...Without the web, youse guys would STILL be languishing in obscurity..(even moreso)...He made you and Artie, legends in your own minds..The only difference between you and me is,...I was smart enough to know it... :sorry: :eek: :D

SuperDuck <--Is starting to feel guilty, at the number of 'free shots' he is getting...As the Hacker says, you should... "quit while you're behind, Mr. B...d" :p :p :p

PS..I did forget about the little kid in Zimbabwa !...You were definately his hero, Mr.B...d !..(but did he speak english ?)

Last edited:

Betdapot

Verified Member
Anybody who was serious pool gambler knew who "the beard" was and Artie was on every roadie's do not play list for Chicago although oddly Bugs was not because Im sure you could win a boatload of cash from the Artie faithful everybody knew that if you could beat Bugs when he had the right backer you could win big problem was he wasn't easy to beat in chicago or anywhere else.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Anybody who was serious pool gambler knew who "the beard" was and Artie was on every roadie's do not play list for Chicago although oddly Bugs was not because Im sure you could win a boatload of cash from the Artie faithful everybody knew that if you could beat Bugs when he had the right backer you could win big problem was he wasn't easy to beat in chicago or anywhere else.

Thank you, but now you must prepare for a Claim Jumping bully to descend upon you for your fair-mindedness; attempting to insert reality into the conversation. Be prepared, he will ascribe zero credit to your opinion.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Bump this post. Where did everybody go?
Beard

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Bump this post. Where did everybody go?
Beard

One of the things you learn, over the years, is how to read the "silence" on a group. A lot of guys make the mistake of believing that the only thing that's important is what is actually said, when, in fact, what is not said (and who is not saying it) can be equally important.

Lou Figueroa

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
How could you not?

How could you not?

Said to me,
"In my opinion Minnesota Fats did more for pool than anybody ever. He played all games good. Even three cushion." Eddie "The knoxville Bear" Taylor

A quote I read:
"Hollywood took a real character and made him fictional. I took the fictional character and made him real." Minnesota Fats

Said to me at 20 years old in Johnston City:
"They can't keep my buddy out here in the cold. Why, you ain't even got no coat. What's the matter with them mooches."
My friend to the end. Humanitarian, Rudolph Walter Wanderone

Said to me: "Minnesota was happiest at our home in Dowell Ill. Each day he would go to McDonalds and other restaurants and mooch food for our cats and dogs."
Evelyn Wanderone
Fats had picked up and was taking care of more than 100 stray cats and dogs. Can any of you Minnesota Fat's knockers tear this one up?

In my opinion any pool organization should consider themselves privileged to have this piece of pool history on board.
Keep it reasonable. Alfie

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Said to me,
"In my opinion Minnesota Fats did more for pool than anybody ever. He played all games good. Even three cushion." Eddie "The knoxville Bear" Taylor

A quote I read:
"Hollywood took a real character and made him fictional. I took the fictional character and made him real." Minnesota Fats

Said to me at 20 years old in Johnston City:
"They can't keep my buddy out here in the cold. Why, you ain't even got no coat. What's the matter with them mooches."
My friend to the end. Humanitarian, Rudolph Walter Wanderone

Said to me: "Minnesota was happiest at our home in Dowell Ill. Each day he would go to McDonalds and other restaurants and mooch food for our cats and dogs."
Evelyn Wanderone
Fats had picked up and was taking care of more than 100 stray cats and dogs. Can any of you Minnesota Fat's knockers tear this one up?

In my opinion any pool organization should consider themselves privileged to have this piece of pool history on board.
Keep it reasonable. Alfie

Yep, and fatty as a young boy with his dad on the streets of NY city. There was as usual, a large gathering of men doing what they do. Fattys dad saw this lady gettin' in the action up close and watching, not acceptable back then, dad had Fats pee on her leg to get her to leave.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I was lucky enough to view an older pool video of a one pocket match between Buddy Hall and Ray Allen with commentary by Ronnie Allen and Freddy the Beard. The commentary is the highlight of the tape. Ronnie and Freddie discuss a match in Johnson City where Ronnie played the aging Fats 10/8. Freddie says the two must have run out 30 times. Ronnie agrees and tells that when he was younger he told a friend thatche was going to play Fats. His friend said Ronnie you can't face the radio to which Ronnie said I got a radio myself. Later the friend asked how he did and Ronnie saidn"Man, that radion I couldn't make a ball." 'Nuff said.

Where can one get the chance to see that old video. Is it available for purchase somewhere or are there copies to be had?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I was lucky enough to view an older pool video of a one pocket match between Buddy Hall and Ray Allen with commentary by Ronnie Allen and Freddy the Beard. The commentary is the highlight of the tape. Ronnie and Freddie discuss a match in Johnson City where Ronnie played the aging Fats 10/8. Freddie says the two must have run out 30 times. Ronnie agrees and tells that when he was younger he told a friend thatche was going to play Fats. His friend said Ronnie you can't face the radio to which Ronnie said I got a radio myself. Later the friend asked how he did and Ronnie saidn"Man, that radion I couldn't make a ball." 'Nuff said.

Where can one get the chance to see that old video. Is it available for purchase somewhere or are there copies to be had?

Frank, I'm wondering if DD meant Ray Martin? It's the only AccuStats DVD that I see where Buddy plays a Ray. I own this DVD and Freddy, BI & RA do commentate it.

http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...19&PNAME=Buddy+Hall+vs.+Ray+Martin+(SF)+(DVD)

Jimmy B

Verified Member

I noticed I have an old vhs of this match. I bought it many years ago just because it had The Beard hosting wi RA and Dr. Bill. You welcomed to it n/c if you want it . Just pm me an add. I'm sure it was Martin also..

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

It is the Hall/Martin match where RA says this at the 39:40 mark.

He talks about the 1st time he played Fats in Jacksonville, Fla. and how Squirrel told him he wouldn't be able to put up with Fats's static.

RA told Squirrel "please".

RA goes on to say "he intimidated me so bad I couldn't make a ball".

Freddy says he saw RA give Fats 9-7 & 11/10 on the money in Johnston City. He says they played 30 games an hour and it was the best one-pocket he's ever seen (in 1998). Freddy said they broke even.

It's a good match with good commentary Frank.

Dennis

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It is the Hall/Martin match where RA says this at the 39:40 mark.

He talks about the 1st time he played Fats in Jacksonville, Fla. and how Squirrel told him he wouldn't be able to put up with Fats's static.

RA told Squirrel "please".

RA goes on to say "he intimidated me so bad I couldn't make a ball".

Freddy says he saw RA give Fats 9-7 & 11/10 on the money in Johnston City. He says they played 30 games an hour and it was the best one-pocket he's ever seen (in 1998). Freddy said they broke even.

It's a good match with good commentary Frank.

Dennis

All they did was run 7 and out or 9 and out. Granted the Gandy tables werent very tough, but I still never seen offense like that before. No up-table games ever came about.

Beard

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Evelyns words 2-28-96

Evelyns words 2-28-96

Evelyn Wanderone met fats 3-7-41, got married in DuQuoin IL exactly two mths later 5/7, they stayed together 44 years.
Fatty owned a three table pool room in Wash. DC. Evelyn told a story about Roosevelt and Fatty.
Roosevelt would ride thru DC in an Open limo and always would come past the pool room, everyone went into the street and waved. Evelyn told me what Fatty said about the president, ‘’Roosevelt has the biggest head he’d ever seen on a human’’.
Before Evelyn met Fatty she recalled that he said he had been to a 6 week tournament (Evelyn was on meds, broken hip) in Chicago, was a two or three floor room. Fats was with Earl Schriver and Eda both also from DC, and they had a boy Phil with em, and NY Jimmy the Greek (not vegas). Evelyn said fats booked 150 games and lost only two in six weeks.
They were dead tired and rolled into town with Fattys new Buick LaSalle, last one built. TBC

These are Evelyns recollections of their life....

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
Congrats doc...

Congrats doc...

For this most contraversial thread. The reason I see no end in sight is precisely the reason the One Pocket Hall of Fame should welcome Fats with open arms. What organization in the game of pocket billiards would not be honored to include this most popular character of the pool hustling era that ever lived. Long after all of us posting are gone and forgotten, people will still be talking about him. Look at us. Fatty has been gone seventeen years and there is no hotter topic.

"Alfie. Fats played all games good...even three cushion," Eddie Taylor.

So come on everyone: Stop shewing the Fat. Those of you who saw or heard about him, those posting their opinions just to be included in the "Fats" circle and those of us fortunate enough to call him friend. His bragging, which seems to be peoples only complaint against him, didn't hurt anyone and it helped the revive and promote the sport we are now enjoying. RIP Fatty.
Keep it respectful. Alfie

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Tombstone Pizza

Tombstone Pizza

When fats died, this pizza commercial was on national tv. When Evelyn got a call from the Fats fluzzie in TN about his passing, her senses perked up. The Fluze, she always ''wanted'' something when she called, and being Fats wife and a true rounder. Evelyn asked her, what did he have on his tombstone, she didn't respond right away, so Ev said, "pepperoni and cheese''....:D