Interesting situation

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
You have a ball frozen to the rail, and another ball frozen to the ball on the rail. Are both balls considered frozen (dead to that rail), or just the one touching it? I guess this situation came up recently in a pro 9 ball match, and they decided both balls were considered frozen to the rail. I could see this coming up playing 1 pocket, and was wondering what your thoughts were on this!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
No way in hell would that 2 be considered frozen to the rail, because it is not touching the rail.
That rail is 'alive' for the 2, and 'not alive' for the 3. Alive: means the rail can be used to play a legal shot.

Therefore just tapping the 2 to the rail and leaving the 3 in-between the 2 and cb is the shot, and a legal shot.

The bare basics of a legal shot: upon contacting your intended ob then either the cb or an ob must contact a rail! Do this simple task and you have a legal shot.

That was a yuppie call! Good Grief!!! Whitey

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
No way in hell would that 2 be considered frozen to the rail, because it is not touching the rail.
That rail is 'alive' for the 2, and 'not alive' for the 3. Alive: means the rail can be used to play a legal shot.

Therefore just tapping the 2 to the rail and leaving the 3 in-between the 2 and cb is the shot, and a legal shot.

The bare basics of a legal shot: upon contacting your intended ob then either the cb or an ob must contact a rail! Do this simple task and you have a legal shot.

A yuppie call?....lol

Cory in dc

Verified Member

I can't imagine any opinion other than this one.

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
You have a ball frozen to the rail, and another ball frozen to the ball on the rail. Are both balls considered frozen (dead to that rail), or just the one touching it? I guess this situation came up recently in a pro 9 ball match, and they decided both balls were considered frozen to the rail. I could see this coming up playing 1 pocket, and was wondering what your thoughts were on this!

What pro player would even believe the two was frozen. The three is contacting the rail period. That's the only ball frozen. Maybe someone was trying to get over. You know how those nine ball players can be lol.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Who are THEY?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nzuCm8L6Z5CnAsAk8
The video does not do the shot justice, for the ob does not look angled enough upon the ball frozen to the rail, but it is!

I was shocked to see this layout, for this is the exact 'Squeeze Bank' that I discovered back when I was 18, in '69. I just set it up different to be made in the corner pocket for this is OP. 2 in the side, all day! I believe it is set up on a pretty steep angle, but hit it very thin, and I believe it will go!

This shot never came up even once during my matches, just one time in practice and I figured it out. But here it is!

For those that do not know what I am referring to then go to 'Squeeze Bank' pg. 2 Bank Forum. There is also a slight variation 'great shot' that Steve makes that is video represented.

Try this shot in the side, you'll like it! Whitey

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
This question is unbelievable. How can a ball be frozen to the rail if it isn't touching a rail?

unoperro

Verified Member
All I can add is...
Some rules did say a ball frozen to a rail , and touching that ball is the same as hitting the rail???

Jim McCary

Verified Member
This just goes to prove that one pocket players are smarter than 9-ball players.

Jim Mc

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
If the 3 leaves the rail and gets kissed back to the same rail (say, by the CB after hitting the 2), is that a legal hit? It is in some rules (I like it that way).

pj
chgo

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
If the 3 leaves the rail and gets kissed back to the same rail (say, by the CB after hitting the 2), is that a legal hit? It is in some rules (I like it that way).

pj
chgo

Yes, it is a legal shot. When the ob used to create a legal shot is frozen to the rail then that rail is not alive for that ball, but if that ob leaves the rail and contacts another ball and then re-contacts the rail it was once frozen to then it is a legal shot. Whitey