Interesting Side-Break

DickP

Verified Member
From
San Antonio, TX
Hey all-

At about 1:05 into the YouTube link below, Grady performs a side-break I've never seen executed before.

Basically, instead of placing the cue on the kitchen line alongside your pocket's side rail and kicking off the opposite side rail into the stack - the only way I've seen a side-break executed - he places the cue in the normal position for a traditional break and proceeds to kick at the stack from about two inches off the side rail. (Sorry, I'm not explaining this very clearly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY7NjmBPsoI

His stated reason is to avoid a scratch on uncooperative tables. I'm familiar with striking lower down the stack to be ultraconservative, but I can't understand this break. It seems like the approach angle of the cue into the stack can't be more than a few degrees flatter than if he just shot directly at his aim point and avoided the kick altogether.

What am I missing?

u12armresl

Verified Member
Way too much variance in the first version. Cushion, stroke, force, all play a factor. In the second break, even though he said it's a good break, you have a shot from there, and aren't in any trouble.

Hey all-

At about 1:05 into the YouTube link below, Grady performs a side-break I've never seen executed before.

Basically, instead of placing the cue on the kitchen line alongside your pocket's side rail and kicking off the opposite side rail into the stack - the only way I've seen a side-break executed - he places the cue in the normal position for a traditional break and proceeds to kick at the stack from about two inches off the side rail. (Sorry, I'm not explaining this very clearly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY7NjmBPsoI

His stated reason is to avoid a scratch on uncooperative tables. I'm familiar with striking lower down the stack to be ultraconservative, but I can't understand this break. It seems like the approach angle of the cue into the stack can't be more than a few degrees flatter than if he just shot directly at his aim point and avoided the kick altogether.

What am I missing?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah I believe I have that VHS tape of Grady's, but I had forgotten about that break. I don't think I ever played with it at all. The one advantage I can see with it is because of the rail first contact with running english, the cue ball is going to get extra inside english off that side rail so I would think it would tend to come up tighter along the side rail at the end. Maybe, anyway.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I've seen that tape too, Steve. He claimed it is a good option when playing on tables where standard breaks for some reason lead to scratching. Grady had a terrific imagination for the game but no one but Grady would think of using that break shot in real competition.

What is the over or under for the number of times in Grady's career that he actually used that break in serious competition? Twice? Three times?

There are many better alternatives.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
dick
thanks for the link
i think its the only grady video i havent seen or own
i have never seen that break before
not sure i would use it
the next break grady shows is the standard side break
but he says to to hit above the side pocket with running english
i always thought you hit farther up the rail (closer to your opponents pocket)
with inside english to come into the side of the rack more perpendicular
thoughts anyone??

youngstown

Verified Member
When I break from the side I'm hitting it medium trying to keep the cb in the stack, but I've played an ex pro who would hit it hard with follow to graze the stack and have the cb hit the bottom rail and come back up and it was very effective.

yk

youngstown

Verified Member
Interesting Side-Break

When I break from the side I'm hitting it medium trying to keep the cb in the stack, but I've played an ex pro who would hit it hard with follow to graze the stack and have the cb hit the bottom rail and come back up and it was very effective.

yk
He would play the kick from above the side pocket

yk