Ike Runnels vs. Jason Miller 2005 DCC

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's the first game and Runnels is up 3-1, (ignore the inset score, it's wrong as were the two air-headed commentators. It's Ike's shot. Several present, what would you do?

CapturedPicture_2.Jpeg

CapturedPicture_1.Jpeg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Finally!

Finally!

wgcp said:
two rail the 8 its dead from there...

Thru the magic of the quote reply, I have looked at some of these diagrams and I have been getting ill listening to some of the shot choices in these bank pool scenarios. No point me being on this forum if I ignore the bank section.

Bille, that is the exact, and only shot to shoot -- no matter the score. A free 2 rail bank, laying perfect, stop the cue ball on the rail, leaving no good shot if you miss, and an easy safety off of the closest ball to you if you make it.

Shot choice is the whole ball game in bank pool. If you keep having even money banks to shoot at and your oppo has 2,3, and 4 to 1 give-ups, who is going to win?

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Beard, I see your point about the 8 ball. It's not an easy shot, but as you say the shooter leaves zero if he misses.

If the 8 weren't there, would you shoot the 1 ball twice cross-side? That also leaves the CB safe.

Good luck with Bille this weekend. He needs lots and lots of help...;) :D

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Freddy
great to have you posting again:)
for my education
the one rail bank is almost an angle in equals angle out (to me)
isnt that a higher percentage bank than a 2 railer???
i realize im not playing a safe if i miss but shoudnt a top level banker make it ??

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No 8?

No 8?

gulfportdoc said:
Beard, I see your point about the 8 ball. It's not an easy shot, but as you say the shooter leaves zero if he misses.

If the 8 weren't there, would you shoot the 1 ball twice cross-side? That also leaves the CB safe.

Good luck with Bille this weekend. He needs lots and lots of help...;) :D

Doc

Dockie, if the 8 aint there, then you would shoot the 1 cross corner!
When I get done with Bille, you might not like it anymore.

Beard

People that read my books and watch my DVDs know that that 2 railer is no worse than 6 to 5 against.
Or... you can wait for the April issue of Inside Pool. My column in April is those 2 railers.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You serious?

You serious?

lll said:
Freddy
great to have you posting again:)
for my education
the one rail bank is almost an angle in equals angle out (to me)
isnt that a higher percentage bank than a 2 railer???
i realize im not playing a safe if i miss but shoudnt a top level banker make it ??

You are not seriously talking about the straight back that you suggested earlier are you? The q ball is 5 diamonds away from that shot and you are 1 diamond away from the 8 ball. I hope I dont have to explain why that is significant. Even Truman Hogue wouldnt shoot at that straight back.

Beard

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
7 ball straight back right and leave whitey on that top rail! My tendency when I have a 60 percent or less shot. Especially being up in the set.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
..Good only if you make it.

..Good only if you make it.

blackeee said:
How bout twice cross side on the one. Lots of left english, pocket speed.

Where is the cue ball going to be if you miss it? You are going to leave either a free 2 in the side or free 2 in the corner, and the opportunity to leave the cue ball frozen to the rail and you in trouble. At the bare minimum you will leave the qball straight in on the rail with the 8 ball, allowing your oppo to shoot the 8 in the pocket, leaving you on the rail with only a give up straight back on the 8 after it spots up.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
To control you must cluster

To control you must cluster

newfosgatesucks said:
7 ball straight back right and leave whitey on that top rail! My tendency when I have a 60 percent or less shot. Especially being up in the set.

If the ball count was even, rather than Ike leading 3 to 1, that shot would still be wrong. At the minimum you are going to leave a passover cross side on the (9?) ball. A shot that all bank players would be happy to shoot.
The worst part of shooting the 7 ball -- with a lead -- is (1) you would be passing up an opportunity to cluster the balls by shooting the 8 ball. (2) You would be leaving balls on both sides of the table. That's wrong when you have a lead, because it gives your oppo who is behind, the best chance to get multiple balls when he get a shot. It is also much harder to play safe when the balls are all over the table. (3) Now knowing that, to carry the concept further. When clustering balls you want to cluster them on the head of the table, not the foot. The reason being, if you have to knock a ball off into the pocket, cuz when it spots up, the spotted ball will be 5 or 6 diamonds away. Leaving a long straight back only, rather than a cross side if the cluster was on the foot of the table. So shooting the 7 is starting a cluster, but on the wrong end of the table. (4) Now you can see the power of shooting the 8 two rails in the corner. If you miss you leave nothing, but you will have started a cluster on the correct side of the table.

Anyone who has watched me play bank pool will notice that when I am behind there are balls all over the table, and when I am ahead there is usually a cluster of balls on the back rail, mostly out of play. If you watch my protege, Jet Johnson you will see the same strategy in effect. That's how you play the game and that is how you win.

Beard

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Very well put.
fred bentivegna said:
If the ball count was even, rather than Ike leading 3 to 1, that shot would still be wrong. At the minimum you are going to leave a passover cross side on the (9?) ball. A shot that all bank players would be happy to shoot.
The worst part of shooting the 7 ball -- with a lead -- is (1) you would be passing up an opportunity to cluster the balls by shooting the 8 ball. (2) You would be leaving balls on both sides of the table. That's wrong when you have a lead, because it gives your oppo who is behind, the best chance to get multiple balls when he get a shot. It is also much harder to play safe when the balls are all over the table. (3) Now knowing that, to carry the concept further. When clustering balls you want to cluster them on the head of the table, not the foot. The reason being, if you have to knock a ball off into the pocket, cuz when it spots up, the spotted ball will be 5 or 6 diamonds away. Leaving a long straight back only, rather than a cross side if the cluster was on the foot of the table. So shooting the 7 is starting a cluster, but on the wrong end of the table. (4) Now you can see the power of shooting the 8 two rails in the corner. If you miss you leave nothing, but you will have started a cluster on the correct side of the table.

Anyone who has watched me play bank pool will notice that when I am behind there are balls all over the table, and when I am ahead there is usually a cluster of balls on the back rail, mostly out of play. If you watch my protege, Jet Johnson you will see the same strategy in effect. That's how you play the game and that is how you win.

Beard

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
fred bentivegna said:
Where is the cue ball going to be if you miss it? You are going to leave either a free 2 in the side or free 2 in the corner, and the opportunity to leave the cue ball frozen to the rail and you in trouble. At the bare minimum you will leave the qball straight in on the rail with the 8 ball, allowing your oppo to shoot the 8 in the pocket, leaving you on the rail with only a give up straight back on the 8 after it spots up.

Beard

I gotcha Freddy.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I think Ike got about the best leave he could for shooting the wrong shot in that case.

Looked up who did the commentary...Tony A is probably the worst commentator Accu-Stats has ever employed. Danny is of course a legend and does well with most games, maybe not so much in banks, but putting TA on these videos is torture. You read Playing Off the Rail and it seems you're supposed to think Tony knows everything...you listen to him act like a B player sucking up to Danny on these tapes and its ridiculous.

I've told Pete Fleming, Pat's brother, this in person so I hope I've done my part to prevent any future soiling of quality matches with that drivel.