I don't know who...

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'd bank the ball by my opponent pocket two rails into the 7 ball stack, and move whitey up towards the one ball. There appears to be a dead combo to my pocket if I can hit the seven.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I don't know who did what here but, if you have the lower right pocket and it's your shot. WWYD?

View attachment 11873

I'd sure be tempted to use a fair bit of left and kick at that 12 ball, send it to my side, and the CB goes into the stack.

2-railing the 12 into the stack looks pretty good too, but if there isn't a dead combo then you could sell out a return bank.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
This is what I like Bill.

View attachment 11874

Long rail, ball and cushion, the CB floats up to the 5/7 ball in the stack, while the 15 goes towards t your pocket.

I'd sure be tempted to use a fair bit of left and kick at that 12 ball, send it to my side, and the CB goes into the stack.

2-railing the 12 into the stack looks pretty good too, but if there isn't a dead combo then you could sell out a return bank.

Hey, Mr. 3C: When you post a WWYD, you're supposed to give everyone more than 17 minutes to give their answers! Ok, I guess that doesn't apply here, since you don't know what Smith actually did.

In any case, I like your answer. Typed up the same one while you were posting your pic.

Cory

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Hey, Mr. 3C: When you post a WWYD, you're supposed to give everyone more than 17 minutes to give their answers! Ok, I guess that doesn't apply here, since you don't know what Smith actually did.

In any case, I like your answer. Typed up the same one while you were posting your pic.

Cory

I didn't know what He did, I just wanted s to see what anyone else could come up with, that's all! As soon a s I saw the image, my shot came to my mind immediately from 3C!

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Kicking a ball frozen to the rail

Kicking a ball frozen to the rail

I used to love playing folks who would play shots like that, Bill. While it may work out well, there are sooo many ways in which it can go South and cost 1-4 balls.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I used to love playing folks who would play shots like that, Bill. While it may work out well, there are sooo many ways in which it can go South and cost 1-4 balls.

Yep, but the cue ball speed and the two rail bank speed and removing any possibility of a double kiss are at high percentage of make' the way this shot ''lays''.... this shot also allows great carom angle to control the cue balls movement towards the rail first then into the one ball but not past it . I too like the billiard, but I like Even more.... :heh having Many Balls by my pocket, Always.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Yes, I think that is why mr3 showed left english here -- so that the approach angle of the cue ball into that ball on the bottom rail had a steeper angle, so that it was most likely for the cue ball to head up toward the stack instead of stalling down below. The problems you allude to with the shot usually come up more when someone hits it too full or with too flat an angle, imho.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Anyone NOT playing the shot Bill Smith suggested should take up another game.. That is a BASIC STANDARD shot and if you don't know that one yet.... YOU'RE JUST SCRATCHING YOUR ASS PLAYING ONE POCKET:eek:
P.S. Oh yeah almost forgot.... HAVE A NICE DAY

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Yep, but the cue ball speed and the two rail bank speed and removing any possibility of a double kiss are at high percentage of make' the way this shot ''lays''.... this shot also allows great carom angle to control the cue balls movement towards the rail first then into the one ball but not past it . I too like the billiard, but I like Even more.... :heh having Many Balls by my pocket, Always.

I like both shots, however, if the angle is there your shot in this situation looks to me like the better shot. Your shot with the correct angle is easier to execute and the controlled consistency with the cue ball is more reliable.I also like that your shot opens up balls to your side, creating more of a threat.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Anyone NOT playing the shot Bill Smith suggested should take up another game.. That is a BASIC STANDARD shot and if you don't know that one yet.... YOU'RE JUST SCRATCHING YOUR ASS PLAYING ONE POCKET:eek:
P.S. Oh yeah almost forgot.... HAVE A NICE DAY

I like both shots, however, if the angle is there your shot in this situation looks to me like the better shot. Your shot with the correct angle is easier to execute and the controlled consistency with the cue ball is more reliable.I also like that your shot opens up balls to your side, creating more of a threat.

Dr. Bill

Here we go again....
:heh:heh

Let the good times roll..... :lol

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Billy; Thus the reason for the 7 O'clock English, it helps to ensure creating the angle off the ball! The worst case scenario, you contact the ball a little too thin or thick. But, still the CB will travel towards the stack, maybe just not as perfect as if the shot were struck correctly. IMHO! I also understand in pool, players are sometimes not comfortable using, 'extreme' English this way.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Another shot here that hasn't been mentioned. Jack up, use 5 o'clock and CB will come right back to the stack. I haven't had a lotta luck kicking when not being able to go two rails first, so I shoot this often when the OB is frozen.
Rod.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I don't know who...

Billy; Thus the reason for the 7 O'clock English, it helps to ensure creating the angle off the ball! The worst case scenario, you contact the ball a little too thin or thick. But, still the CB will travel towards the stack, maybe just not as perfect as if the shot were struck correctly. IMHO! I also understand in pool, players are sometimes not comfortable using, 'extreme' English this way.

Interesting. I hit this shot a lot but use 9 o'clock English with good results. I'll try it with 7 and see how it changes things.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Another shot here that hasn't been mentioned. Jack up, use 5 o'clock and CB will come right back to the stack. I haven't had a lotta luck kicking when not being able to go two rails first, so I shoot this often when the OB is frozen.
Rod.

If you use 5 O'clock English on this shot, the CB will travel at a angle between the 1 and 3 ball.

Also, you would have to aim too deep and close to the pocket in order to even contact the 10 ball correctly.