I didnt know this was allowed

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
in an accustat make it happen match of alex and shannon
shannon lays his cue on the table and takes his hands off of it as he checks a shot
i thought that would be a foul as i beleived you had to keep at least one hand on the cue when you use it for aiming/checking tangent lines/banking line etc
no foul was called
is that rule a figment of my imagination??
anyone else beleive similarly??
ss2.jpg

frmn

Verified Member
It used to be a foul in the BCA Pool League rule books. Under the new edition I believe it is now ok to do. A lot of p[layers don't read the rules. I am guessing Shannon's opponent didn't know the rule or didn't care.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You are absolutely right, Larry. It is definitely a foul in the WPA rules:

6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.

That's one of the rules I was keeping under my hat in case I'd ever have to play SD.;) Laying the stick down on the table to sight a shot is one of his bad habits, which probably has not been called on him much.

If the example was from a DCC match, I couldn't say for sure if they use the WPA rules. But in our own rules it's a foul. When a particular instance isn't covered, then the WPA rules take effect.

Good call, Larry. Now I'll have to think of something else to call on SD...:D

Doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
shannon lays his cue on the table and takes his hands off of it as he checks a shot
i thought that would be a foul as i beleived you had to keep at least one hand on the cue when you use it for aiming/checking tangent lines/banking line etc
no foul was called
View attachment 8511

This is a foul.

RedCard

Verified Member
Free range aiming

Free range aiming

6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
'If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul'.

Have a midget on staff to keep a hand on the cue while you roam around the table doing your aiming. That should satisfy all but the pickiest rulies.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
It used to be a foul in the BCA Pool League rule books. Under the new edition I believe it is now ok to do. A lot of p[layers don't read the rules. I am guessing Shannon's opponent didn't know the rule or didn't care.

Are you saying that will be allowed this month at the BCA Rio amateur events?

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I bet if the opposing player called this on him in this spot he'd be told he can't do that again, but they would never give a foul. I am not saying if that is right or wrong, just what I believe would happen. THIS is the reason players don't really give a hoot, because the refs probably wont enforce it like they should, so why make yourself look like a nit for nothing. If it is for the match I'd have no problem making myself look like a nit :)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Not being a fan of all the rules anyway, and not usually politically correct, I have to say this rule is really stupid. :frus
Rod.

frmn

Verified Member
Frank pg 13 of bcapl rule book 2010-2011 edition under use of equipment 1 a. You may use your cue held in your hand or not to help align a shot.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Whether it's a foul or not I hate this rule... Stupid

I never put my cue down on the table to help aim because I'm aware that that the rule exists but It makes no sense to me why it would be a foul.

Dudley

beatle

Verified Member
it shouldn't be a foul just like putting chalk on a spot to mark where to hit. if the players starts to do it tell him he cant. to try to get a foul out of it is chicken sh--t in my book and will be the last game we play unless i am robbing you which is usually the case.
and in those cases i dont care what you do in those little instances.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
no foul was called

I'd say that based on the rule posted here in this thread concerning this type of action the picture Larry posted does NOT show Daulton fouling. He is not using his cue to align anything, he's not even looking at his cue:confused:.

Carry on fellers

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I was watching a match between Buddy Hall and Larry Nevil at the old venue of the DCC. It was a long match and they both wanted to take a break. It was in the middle of a game and it was Buddy's shot so he put his cue on the table and said to Larry that this is how they would know it was his shot when they came back.

RedCard

Verified Member
Strong move

Strong move

I think he's shaking the table, trying to tease some balls over to his side.

Attachments

• TheMove.jpg
    TheMove.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 0

SloMoHolic

Verified Member
I didnt know this was allowed

I think he's shaking the table, trying to tease some balls over to his side.

That's hilarious. Looks like he indeed did a good job of sliding every ball except the cue ball!

While practicing 1P alone at home, when I take a break, I'll often lay my cue on the table, pointing it at the pocket that "I" have next. I'm usually one of those guys that calls a foul on myself, but I usually let these little infractions slide. :)

-Blake

PS
Although my break is better if I'm shooting to the right pocket, I almost always "win" these solo practice games as the left pocket. Is that normal for a right-handed player?

:confused:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
That's hilarious. Looks like he indeed did a good job of sliding every ball except the cue ball!

While practicing 1P alone at home, when I take a break, I'll often lay my cue on the table, pointing it at the pocket that "I" have next. I'm usually one of those guys that calls a foul on myself, but I usually let these little infractions slide. :)

-Blake

PS
Although my break is better if I'm shooting to the right pocket, I almost always "win" these solo practice games as the left pocket. Is that normal for a right-handed player?

I have always broken to the right hand pocket because I'm right handed but i am not at all sure I win more on that side than the other.

8andout

Verified Member
what did he do?

what did he do?

to heck with the rules- i want to know what shannon did with this shot.

RedCard

Verified Member

-Blake

PS

I think he put the freeze on the rock before he put the slow-shake 'n roll on the other balls. It probably takes a lot of concentration to get them all to go in unison, you can see it in his face. Sort of like synchronized swimming, I'd guess.

I shot left handed and (when I played one pocket) liked to break from the left side and shoot to the right hand pocket. It just seemed more natural that way. When I'd be about done practicing I wouldn't stop until I made 15 spot shots in a row without missing. Sometimes that'd keep me there a while, with all the starting over. The last time I picked up a cue, around 3 years ago I think, I made 10 in a row on the first try and decided that was enough.

Thanks for your comments.