I Am the Walrus WWYD, trying to run all 15 balls

12squared

Verified Member
The title is self explanatory if you are listening to the song playing in the background 🤫.

Trying to run all 15 balls again (July has been kicking my ass), I had an interesting choice about a minute in so I thought I'd make a wwyd out of it to hear your thoughts on what you would select to continue the run. I will tell you that the ball that is closest to straight in was lined up to the outside of the point so it was not straight.

Your thoughts....?

And Whitey, don't think worse of me because I sold out the corner ball 😂🤣

Adding a screen shot for ease of viewing:
Screenshot_20200713-195555.png

Last edited:

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Perhaps gentle the 11 ball to setup for the 10/14 combo and plan for the 10 afterward to spread the stack - or better; Combo then 10 to get on the 3 ball to break up the stack(?).

I sure do like your table..

12squared

Verified Member
Perhaps gentle the 11 ball to setup for the 10/14 combo and plan for the 10 afterward to spread the stack - or better; Combo then 10 to get on the 3 ball to break up the stack(?).

I sure do like your table..
Thank you sir. Only 3 choices but I struggled with them.

Tobermory

Verified Member
Gently cut the 8-6 combo with a trace of left so the cue ball slides off the 5 and stays there, looking to have either the 1 or the 12 next.

lll

Verified Member
i would play the 11 and come across for a better angle on the combo still having the 15 as a safety ball
if there is no risk of scratch shooting the 11
you could also shoot the 15 with left spin to throw it into the pocket and draw back for the combo

12squared

Verified Member
billiard the 11 off the higher stripe ball on left side of table.stick cue ball right there
Never entered my mind, but I like the creativity. I'm just not that smart, but those 2 balls on the rail are definitely a concern..

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Great diagram, Bill.
Thanks Dave, along with you being a Carom/3C player, I see this pattern as the most sensible and easiest approach. Plus, this looks a lot like a, 'straight pool' scenario for running balls in theory. Only, with 1 pocket to play with.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
One of the things I love most about one pocket and 3 cushion, very rarely is there just one proper shot choice. What's right for one person may not be the best shot for others, you can be as creative as you want to be. In this example there were a few choices to continue the run and after reading the suggestions I learned a couple more. Thank you all for your replies!

When I was learning 3 cushion I was told that no matter what shot you choose, always have a reason for your choice. I believe this to be true in one pocket, too. So here's what I was thinking (if you care):

I looked at the 11 ball first to come off the rail past the 15 ball to have an angle to possibly break up the 2 ball on the long rail, and if I went too far I would have the combo. But if I was forced to play the combo next I wasn't sure what the breakout ball would be.

Then I looked at the 6/8 combo but was nervous about the 5 ball dropping down to the short rail or the 12 ball floating to the long rail due to the angle of the cut of the combo. Having 2 balls on either the short rail or side rail would have made running 15 very difficult. Plus, if a ball is made out of turn it stays down.

Then I looked at the 15 ball. Even though it's a little off angle if I was able to throw it in with soft draw/spin I would have much better angle for the combo without moving the breakout balls too far to keep them in play.

I don't know what the correct shot was, but this was my thought process and reasoning, good or bad. But as mentioned, there is very rarely one and only choice.

This was my choice...get out of my head Bill Smith!!!! LOL (and you too, Larry) 🤯

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
One of the things I love most about one pocket and 3 cushion, very rarely is there just one proper shot choice. What's right for one person may not be the best shot for others, you can be as creative as you want to be. In this example there were a few choices to continue the run and after reading the suggestions I learned a couple more. Thank you all for your replies!

When I was learning 3 cushion I was told that no matter what shot you choose, always have a reason for your choice. I believe this to be true in one pocket, too. So here's what I was thinking (if you care):

I looked at the 11 ball first to come off the rail past the 15 ball to have an angle to possibly break up the 2 ball on the long rail, and if I went too far I would have the combo. But if I was forced to play the combo next I wasn't sure what the breakout ball would be.

Then I looked at the 6/8 combo but was nervous about the 5 ball dropping down to the short rail or the 12 ball floating to the long rail due to the angle of the cut of the combo. Having 2 balls on either the short rail or side rail would have made running 15 very difficult. Plus, if a ball is made out of turn it stays down.

Then I looked at the 15 ball. Even though it's a little off angle if I was able to throw it in with soft draw/spin I would have much better angle for the combo without moving the breakout balls too far to keep them in play.

I don't know what the correct shot was, but this was my thought process and reasoning, good or bad. But as mentioned, there is very rarely one and only choice.

This was my choice...get out of head Bill Smith!!!! LOL (and you too, Larry) 🤯

Dave, you dirty dog, JK! Another teaser!

Excellent explanation!

Island Drive

Verified Member
The key is your first shot. Inside draw hitting the 6 low enough, that it will draw Straight Back up to the 11. This will ''set your table''. So tah speak. Play final shape on the 3 straight in, then bank the 2.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
The key is your first shot. Inside draw hitting the 6 low enough, that it will draw Straight Back up to the 11. This will ''set your table''. So tah speak. Play final shape on the 3 straight in, then bank the 2.
Bill, what 6 ball, then the 11?