Hows Your Game

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
There’s not enough time in the day to complete this drill. On a 4 1/8 table to make 25 consecutive balls and if you don’t you have to start over. Good luck to all.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I shoot this drill 3-4 diamonds back depending on what I am working on. It will expose any flaw that you have in your fundamentals. I use it to work on set up, bridge, grip, stroke, eye pattern etc....If you are not striking the cb on your intended spot failure to pocket a ball will be quick, especially on a tight table.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Im surprised you say that, its not impossible but you do need to be committed if you are to improve. Try it....Youll like it. K

I do a similar drill, just not quite the same. It doesn’t take much of a flaw to miss on a 4 1/8 corner.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Well then Whitey you will never be able to know why you miss! I only posted it up as a tool for people that are interested, I really don't care about hearing why you're not interested.
When I'm practicing, hr max....if I miss a shot, I'll reset it till I get a feel for it/make it then move on.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Excellent drill, and a good start, if you've got the time and will to perform it. When I used to practice pre C19, I'd start out with the straight in shots at various distances using a stop shot speed for each shot. Once I felt confident that I was doing what I wanted, I'd shoot the same straight shots but alternate between a stop shot, a draw shot to pull it back 3 inches, followed by a stroke that would let the cue ball drift forward 3 inches, then a stop shot, followed by a draw shot that would pull the cue ball back one foot, followed by a stroke that would make the cue ball drift forward one foot. Repeat as necessary.

After that, my routine would be to set up short range cut shots, (say with the object ball at 2 diamonds up the long rail and 1 diamond off that rail with cue ball 18 inches away, or 24 inches away) and shoot the shot with alternating position play, starting with center ball inside english, moving to center/center ball, then to center outside english, followed by variations using top and then bottom english. Then set up different cut shots at different angles to learn what you have to do at the other angles and distances. With even just one cut ball problem to solve, you have to hone your aim to adjust for swerve and throw on every shot, and you can teach yourself how to vary your aim points and stroke speed to accommodate every shot. Every shot can be made. Create your own system. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Just remember guys....your misses tell you what your doing wrong, if you don't know why or understand the miss then there's allot more going on than just the miss. ''when your down your done''. If your doing the same thing wrong every time, that's very correctable from a good instructor. If your missed shots are not a consistent miss of the same kind, then it's something else.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Just remember guys....your misses tell you what your doing wrong, if you don't know why or understand the miss then there's allot more going on than just the miss. ''when your down your done''. If your doing the same thing wrong every time, that's very correctable from a good instructor. If your missed shots are not a consistent miss of the same kind, then it's something else.
great advice bill

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Interesting only one of our members got back to me after trying this. I guess that means everyone else is satisfied with their stroke. I sure wish I was there. Keith
I have never been very good at drills and practice, I wish I had the discipline and desire. I end up losing interest and develop bad habits once that happens. I find it difficult to even play 5 rack as I do some good things but then miss something easy to stop an otherwise good run possibility.

As Tom Wirth says, "I'm lazy". LOL I wish I had more discipline.

Thanks for the post, I'm sure it's a great drill.

Dave

Last edited:

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Interesting only one of our members got back to me after trying this. I guess that means everyone else is satisfied with their stroke. I sure wish I was there. Keith
Don't have the equipment to try it, Keith.
Before the shut-downs - I really was almost 'there'. I had consistently been shooting at my highest level.
When I get back to the tables, I really will need your drill to get back on track.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
billy palmer used to do this with first all balls stop shot than all balls follow straight into the pocket and than draw . If I had that discipline I would be a better player