How To Run 10 And Out

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,779
in a previous thread steve booth made a very astute comment

From what I've observed about good players running out at One Pocket, they nearly always use balls in the general area around their side pocket as key shots to get at the various perimeter balls that lie out beyond the obvious balls within the table quadrant near their own pocket.

so to all you shooters would you share whats in your mind as you look at a layout and plan your run???
thanks .
we all appreciate it:)
 

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
2,215
I will tell you this that Power One Pocket is in the editors hands right now and we have a chapter called Running Balls and it has Scott talking you through how he is running the balls, we do this about 5 times.

He said it was one of the toughest things he has done as he is a rhythm player and slowing down to explain things made it difficult and some runs were not cake walks either.

I will say one thing is to look to get on balls with an angle into the stack or cluster to keep your run going among some other things. :)

Not text book but here is a 12, I have ran 12 and out 3 times in match play/gambling.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxU14VHQFOA?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxU14VHQFOA?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
 
Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
Fast Lenny said:
I will tell you this that Power One Pocket is in the editors hands right now and we have a chapter called Running Balls and it has Scott talking you through how he is running the balls, we do this about 5 times.

He said it was one of the toughest things he has done as he is a rhythm player and slowing down to explain things made it difficult and some runs were not cake walks either.

I will say one thing is to look to get on balls with an angle into the stack or cluster to keep your run going among some other things. :)

Not text book but here is a 12, I have ran 12 and out 3 times in match play/gambling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxU14VHQFOA
Her is what I would do if it were me. I would have the person run the tapoff running all the balls and then on the same tape go through it again and explain every shot. And it will be easier for the player. And you wont breack his cocentration. And he will be able to explain it a lot better when all his cocentation will be on explaing every shot. And he doesnt have to worry about shooting and explanning the shots. Thats just wat I tink. And I was als thinking if it can be done. I dont no but you would know. Can you but numbers on top off each ball. Because its hard to see what ball is what. And that way its easier to explain and when some one says he is shooting the 12 ball you wont have too guess what stripe ball is the rwelve ball. Before the player shoots it. But I think for pool it would be a great Idea to ave the number off the ball. on top off each ball.
 

Greyghost

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
189
Fast Lenny said:
I will tell you this that Power One Pocket is in the editors hands right now and we have a chapter called Running Balls and it has Scott talking you through how he is running the balls, we do this about 5 times.

He said it was one of the toughest things he has done as he is a rhythm player and slowing down to explain things made it difficult and some runs were not cake walks either.

I will say one thing is to look to get on balls with an angle into the stack or cluster to keep your run going among some other things. :)

Not text book but here is a 12, I have ran 12 and out 3 times in match play/gambling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxU14VHQFOA

good shooting lenny, the vid looked crazy, like either you were too big or the table was too small....i thought it was a bar box b/f I looked at it really close and realized it was a GC, talk about an optical delusion lol........nice run keep it up bro.

I'll agree about having shots with nice angles, you can move the CB more distance in a smaller area esp when coming more than one rail for shape.....this gives you more % odds of getting good shape since its harder to overroll. I try and stay away from some clip shots that are going to leave my CB too loose running around the yard, but try to look for opportunities to set up for clip shots that can direct my CB into the stack to open it up to continue the run.

Just like with my banks I usually try to leave myself some sort of angle on a bank shot so I can greater position my CB for the next shot, no point in trying to get perfect shape on a bank so you have to spin the crap out the CB to get a position on the next shot......with an angle I can roll the CB instead of being so firm, without having to use too much english to move my CB to its intended position.

Basically wether on banks or normal shots I try for an angle so I can use the natural rolls of the balls to get around......for myelf I believe it to be a more efficient way of shooting......I work with the layout and don't force myself onto it, and it will open up like a book.

-Grey Ghost-
 
Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Fast Lenny said:
I will tell you this that Power One Pocket is in the editors hands right now and we have a chapter called Running Balls and it has Scott talking you through how he is running the balls, we do this about 5 times.

He said it was one of the toughest things he has done as he is a rhythm player and slowing down to explain things made it difficult and some runs were not cake walks either.

I will say one thing is to look to get on balls with an angle into the stack or cluster to keep your run going among some other things. :)

Not text book but here is a 12, I have ran 12 and out 3 times in match play/gambling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxU14VHQFOA
I will attest to Lenny's ball running skills...He has run 12 and out on me, many times...(oh, wait,...does two at a time count)..:p :p :p

PS..Lenny, its very hard to run 12 and out, when you only need 7 against the old Irish ace... I usually, angrily rake the balls....:eek:
 

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
2,215
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Her is what I would do if it were me. I would have the person run the tapoff running all the balls and then on the same tape go through it again and explain every shot. And it will be easier for the player. And you wont breack his cocentration. And he will be able to explain it a lot better when all his cocentation will be on explaing every shot. And he doesnt have to worry about shooting and explanning the shots. Thats just wat I tink. And I was als thinking if it can be done. I dont no but you would know. Can you but numbers on top off each ball. Because its hard to see what ball is what. And that way its easier to explain and when some one says he is shooting the 12 ball you wont have too guess what stripe ball is the rwelve ball. Before the player shoots it. But I think for pool it would be a great Idea to ave the number off the ball. on top off each ball.
I agree, it would be easier Artie for sure, we have never seen anyone in a one pocket DVD that I know of do what Scott did. He would set up a layout and run the balls, he would explain what he was doing as he ran out, very tough to do but yet Scott did it. If enough people chime in I will put up a rack of Scott doing it, just a sneak peak of one small part of one chapter of Power One Pocket. :)
 

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
2,215
Greyghost said:
good shooting lenny, the vid looked crazy, like either you were too big or the table was too small....i thought it was a bar box b/f I looked at it really close and realized it was a GC, talk about an optical delusion lol........nice run keep it up bro.

I'll agree about having shots with nice angles, you can move the CB more distance in a smaller area esp when coming more than one rail for shape.....this gives you more % odds of getting good shape since its harder to overroll. I try and stay away from some clip shots that are going to leave my CB too loose running around the yard, but try to look for opportunities to set up for clip shots that can direct my CB into the stack to open it up to continue the run.

Just like with my banks I usually try to leave myself some sort of angle on a bank shot so I can greater position my CB for the next shot, no point in trying to get perfect shape on a bank so you have to spin the crap out the CB to get a position on the next shot......with an angle I can roll the CB instead of being so firm, without having to use too much english to move my CB to its intended position.

Basically wether on banks or normal shots I try for an angle so I can use the natural rolls of the balls to get around......for myelf I believe it to be a more efficient way of shooting......I work with the layout and don't force myself onto it, and it will open up like a book.

-Grey Ghost-
I think that its something to do with the way the video was rendered during conversion. I probably should have done something different with it because it does look strange.

I agree that natural angle are important in all games really and often overlooked. Would like to see some people post up some runs and step away from the WEI-WEI tables. :D
 

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
2,215
SJDinPHX said:
I will attest to Lenny's ball running skills...He has run 12 and out on me, many times...(oh, wait,...does two at a time count)..:p :p :p

PS..Lenny, its very hard to run 12 and out, when you only need 7 against the old Irish ace... I usually, angrily rake the balls....:eek:
I am okay with running 6s and 7s against you bud, if I need to go to 12 I am in a bad game. :D
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,171
I tried this is the Daulton v. Nevell thread and figured I post it over here, too.

This is Daulton v. Varner (N. Carolina Championship) for the 1p hot seat or the championship (don't know which). I haven't watched it all yet.

What do you think about the first game?

[ame]http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10862271[/ame]

Skin [hat tip to demonrho]
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,779
skin its not like you to hijack a thread:confused:
what does asking us how a game played out have to do with what you are thinking as you approach a layout to run out.
i havent seen the video yet
(just sayin:) :mad: )
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,171
lll said:
skin its not like you to hijack a thread:confused:
what does asking us how a game played out have to do with what you are thinking as you approach a layout to run out.
i havent seen the video yet
(just sayin:) :mad: )
Go watch the 1st game, Larry my man. Then you'll see. :)

Skin
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,779
of course i jumped the gun. my bad:eek: i apologize skin
very creative run by nick:) not sure i would have come up with that sequence:(
too bad he wasnt miked or a player review to hear what he was thinking
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,171
Larry, I don't think there was any natural way out from that layout. Varner had to work his behind off on almost every shot to get to another. He got out because of his imagination and extraordinary cb control. It was brillaint!

Skin
 
Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,143
Skin said:
Larry, I don't think there was any natural way out from that layout. Varner had to work his behind off on almost every shot to get to another. He got out because of his imagination and extraordinary cb control. It was brillaint!

Skin
It was brilliant and like watching paint dry, This is why I don't watch much pool. What could take so much time ?
Rod.
 

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
8,774
androd said:
It was brilliant and like watching paint dry, This is why I don't watch much pool. What could take so much time ?
Rod.

Yeah Rod, no kidding - and try watching some of the second game..:rolleyes:..I tried for about 6 minutes - between Nick's slow play, and the two clueless announcers, I was nodding off and grinding my teeth, both at the same time...:eek:...:cool:

- Ghost
 

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
2,394
Skin said:
Go watch the 1st game, Larry my man. Then you'll see. :)

Skin
I did see the first game and saw some very nice shots to fabricate more balls to run from what appeared to be a very difficult situation even from an easy ball to start with.

If my count is correct, it appears that Shannon must have conceded the game with one more ball to be made. Nick ran eight and needed one more after having taken a foul earlier. It looked like he was preparing to shoot again when he got the ok to rake the balls. In my matches I always wait for them to move them.
 
Top