How to make this...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Since there's a little action, in the "Bank" forum as of late, I decided to get some scientific and TOP "Bank" player's advice on making the "straight back" bank in the diagram.

You can choose to bank the 1 ball, either inside the 10 or the 5 ball. Maybe the two camps can tell us all how the shot is made. Stroke, English, speed etc.

View attachment 11010

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
Thanks for putting one up Bill:) I can make it but I want to hear some other thoughts on how it's made. Thanks,John B.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
You simply cut it with a FLAT cue, middle ball, no English. While you need to hit it fairly firm to have the hold english carry all the way to the cushion, do not hit it so hard that the cue ball "jumps" off the cloth. This stroke accomplishes 2 things. First, you can aim with confidence since it's a long, tough bank. Second, this stroke puts maximum reverse on the ball because it allows for maximum friction.

If the bank looks impossible, try this - forget the object ball, and just use the cue ball and hit it with reverse English. This will allow our to see the action that is required to pocket the ball.

One good thing about this bank is that of you hit it long (into the long rail before the pocket), it has "pocketing English," which is exactly one-half of John's secret to making a pocket play larger. (The other half is aiming long and holding banks, which creates a more favorable angle.) This creates what bankers call "troughs."

backplaying

Verified Member
Hit as close to the 5 as possible, middle ball, one tip of left and hit it firm. Will bet I can make it doing this.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Pat; you have to bank the 1 ball on the "Inside" of the 10 or 5 from the corner pockets, NOT the "outside" of the them!

pvclou

Verified Member
How to make this...

I use a high ball with a slightly smoother than stun stroke

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Firm stun with less than half maximum inside English.

Firm so the transferred sidespin will carry to the rail.

Stun so the sidespin will transfer well to the OB.

Less than half maximum sidespin because with any cut angle half maximum or more sidespin reduces friction and spin transfer.

Stroke schmoke. Straight and accurate is all that's needed.

pj
chgo

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I do not understand "stun with sidespin." So far I understand the term "stun," that refers to a sliding cue ball, also know as a knuckleball. This type of ball is extremely effective at producing collision-induced English.

You can use inside on this shot, but English transfer with an inside ball is a fraction of what it is with an outside ball. I look at this shot the same as the three in the side - just turn in with center ball and a level cue.

pvclou

Verified Member
How to make this...

Are we going to get a final verdict from mr3cushion or John Brumback

John Brumback

Verified Member
stun, with a half of tip inside,firm,don't have to blast it tho. Reminds me of an old sayin round here when playin bank and someone made a shot like this...it goes like this..."why you twisted hits neck off" :lol JB

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I just happened to have been shooting this shot the other night. I'm trying to get the feel for these trough shots. It's not coming naturally.:( but I shot it just as Straightback said: no english, center ball, level cue. Shot it many time from both sides. Didn't make it too often. Need more practice.

~Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I just happened to have been shooting this shot the other night. I'm trying to get the feel for these trough shots. It's not coming naturally.:( but I shot it just as Straightback said: no english, center ball, level cue. Shot it many time from both sides. Didn't make it too often. Need more practice.

~Doc

Doc; everything sounds good to me except the exact "center ball." Freddy told me awhile back, that a "smidge" of "inside" English! Just so you don't catch a little "running" English by accident. The inside can't hurt!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Hey there Little Buddy,I gotta know...you mean just a lil english,right? Thanks Little Buddy:p Skipper

Yeah, I'm hitting across it anyway so it'll stiff some. Just a little more English as needed.
Rod.
P.S. For those practicing, put the CB just a fraction closer to the pocket side it'll help a lot.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
gulfportdoc:
I just happened to have been shooting this shot the other night. I'm trying to get the feel for these trough shots. It's not coming naturally. but I shot it just as Straightback said: no english, center ball, level cue. Shot it many time from both sides. Didn't make it too often. Need more practice.
Bill:
Doc; everything sounds good to me except the exact "center ball." Freddy told me awhile back, that a "smidge" of "inside" English! Just so you don't catch a little "running" English by accident. The inside can't hurt!
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this - it depends on the slipperiness of the balls and cloth (which could change with humidity, for instance), the cut angle, the shot speed and whether there's any forward or reverse spin on the CB. With the table and balls I play on this shot needs no inside English if hit at about half ball with stun and pocket speed. But with different setup and conditions you might need a half tip or even more.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I think, if presented to 100 "B" players or better who are NOT familiar with this set up, 95% or better would instinctively feel the shot requires favoring "inside"! It's just, "common sense" that the inside can ONLY help this shot, especially if the shot is hit a little LESS than half-ball! :D