How do you like your "hit"

youngstown

Verified Member
Ghost's revival of the playing cue post made me think to ask a question that I've been wondering for a few months now. I've played with the same cue for over 15 years, so I've only known one type of "hit" when I play. I've always liked a soft tip, now using a Kamui SS, so I guess that means that I don't like to feel the vibrations as much as others. When people say "that cue likes hard" or "that cue hits great" I have no clue what that means. Does it mean they like to feel the vibrations? Or do they really just like the sound? What does it mean to you? What type of hit do you like?

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
gosh, never really thought about it much.... with my main cue, i would say its a soft kind of feeling, with no vibration...... im always trying to quiet everything down with my game, guess thats why i play straight pool, keeps my stroke soft and quiet, yet i still have that smooth stroke to power into the rack if needed......

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
i think alot of the "hit" of a cue has to do with the shaft and tip

Bill Stroud posted on here one time that the butt could be a broomstick and the shaft was the most important thing. I guess that would include the tip.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Bill Stroud posted on here one time that the butt could be a broomstick and the shaft was the most important thing. I guess that would include the tip.

john
i play with an ob 1 or ob 1 + shaft
with a g2 soft tip
i have alot of cues
adjusting for the butt width /balance and weight
they all play very similar
in my opinion
because the shaft/tip is the same
jmho

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
I like a firm but quiet hit. ob1 hh ultraskin tip.
don't like the way most ss joints feel even if it is an ob1 on it.

Larry, Can you tell a difference between the ob1 and ob1+?
Aiming wise? feel?

Drop Pocket

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
Hit is subjective to the individual player, as far as I'm concerned. What I like you may not. I've been playing with hard tips most of my career and use Triangles at the moment. I can't really describe why I like hard tips other than it seems like I've more feel and control with them. I've tried layered tips but have come to the conclusion that the ones I've tried haven't been any better than the one piece hard tips I've used. I'm currently playing the Dishaw that I've had for over twenty years now. I've had several other cues but for one reason or another have never sold this one.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I like a firm but quiet hit. ob1 hh ultraskin tip.
don't like the way most ss joints feel even if it is an ob1 on it.

Larry, Can you tell a difference between the ob1 and ob1+?
Aiming wise? feel?
i dont see much difference regarding aim
the ob 1+ might have alittle more feel
i may not be the best one to ask for very fine differences in shafts

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'm still using a Falcon production cue, and it can play as well as I can. I don't believe it holds me back at all. The local Jensen Cues man made me an extender, 3" long, and I like it. It often keeps me off the rake, and that's good.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
Hi YK. Having switched cues several times over 20 years, I can honestly say that the description of hit is a moving target. I will say that I like a thinner shaft (about 12 to 12.5 mm) with a long taper. I also like medium tips. The ultraskin mediums are good and the price point of about $3.00 per is great I recently had the Dennis searing tips put on my cue and they may well be better than kamui, ultraskin and others. At $10 or so I'm now sold on them. Anything more than $10 for a tip or pennies for a cube of chalk don't fly in my book.