vero beach fl
im not talking about bangers
but if short stop is 90 and efren/shane/scott frost depending on game is 100
and a large number of guys that are 80
these are all guys that can run racks
and arent likely to do something stupid
so for the upper level guys
how you decide what kind of spot you can give someone
what clues help to distinguish the levels on the upper end??
for those who dont want to say in public
you can pm me:)

onepockethacker

Verified Member

This is the easiest question in the history of ONEPOCKET.ORG..... If you want to assess players speeds you just ask Billy I..He's the best there is at it...if you don't believe me just ask him:D:sorry:lol:lol

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

First, they play plenty of stupid shots because they think they can make everything.

I never get enough of a spot from those top guys. They will sometimes play cheap so the spot doesnt mater much. I just see how long it takes them to drain my pocket. After 4 or 5 hours if I still have money then I consider it a win for me:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

It's by a combination of two things Larry...

1. Your own personal analysis of the player's physical skills, his knowledge/experience of the particular pool game in question, and his mental game = heart, determination, cool headedness, pool-intelligence, stamina, etc.

2. His track record/already known speed in the pool world = what players does he play even with, or give a spot to, or get a spot from - and how did a representative amount of those matches end up?

- Ghost

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Couldn't get it to delete

backplaying

Verified Member
It depends on how long the race or ahead set is. Take me, I'm suject to beat any player alive a race to 9 on a valley barbox, but a race to 21 would be different, or 10 ahead. You can't give up as much weight in short sessions. A good short stop thats playing his top speed is subject to beat a top player on any given night. A lot of good short stops have just as high a speed as some top players, they just don't hit that gear as much. I think this would also apply to one pocket. I know I would like my chances playing someone like cliff 10-5 a race to 3 better than I would a 5 ahead with the same spot. I have also seen players that couldn't win playing better players reguardless of the spot. I do know a few that seem to play better getting weight from better players though.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Regarding assessing speed...

Regarding assessing speed...

I think you observe a player as much as you can but what it all boils down to are these factors, imo:

1. How well they run balls when they get a chance
2. How good are they at getting to the first shot -- whether by playing solid defense that leads to an opportunity or by making a nice bank, for example
3. How well are they able to hold off their opponent when the opponent has a nice positional advantage -- such as surviving & turning around the opponent's break, for example
4. How often do they make unforced errors
5. Their finishing touch -- their consistency at closing out the game when a win is in reach

I think the above list reflects both table skills and mental toughness -- both of which are keys to winning. The thing about a game like One Pocket, it isn't entirely a "speed" thing, ultimately it is about "winning", which I think is Lenny's point :D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think you observe a player as much as you can but what it all boils down to are these factors, imo:

1. How well they run balls when they get a chance
2. How good are they at getting to the first shot -- whether by playing solid defense that leads to an opportunity or by making a nice bank, for example
3. How well are they able to hold off their opponent when the opponent has a nice positional advantage -- such as surviving & turning around the opponent's break, for example
4. How often do they make unforced errors
5. Their finishing touch -- their consistency at closing out the game when a win is in reach

I think the above list reflects both table skills and mental toughness -- both of which are keys to winning. The thing about a game like One Pocket, it isn't entirely a "speed" thing, ultimately it is about "winning", which I think is Lenny's point :D

Keep an open ear to what people say...then watch who pays the time.;)

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Heres the best advice on this subject you WILL EVER get.... You better be able to assess YOUR OWN speed before worrying about the other guys speed... The guys with the best winning percentages know THEIR OWN SPEED.

backplaying

Verified Member
Heres the best advice on this subject you WILL EVER get.... You better be able to assess YOUR OWN speed before worrying about the other guys speed... The guys with the best winning percentages know THEIR OWN SPEED.

Well, there can be exceptions to that, like someone who matches up where they still win if they only play at 70% of their top speed. There are guys who match up where they have to play their top speed to win, and some who match up where they can still break about even if they only play 90%. I know many pool players who claim to be gamblers but are not. Is someone who has over a 90% winning percentage really a gambler?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

A lot of good answers from the guys who know. I just want to say there are maybe a hundred thousand levels not a hundred. We all know Scott and Efren beat us but how many guys between us and them can beat us and who among them beats eachother? Its a long list.

beatle

Verified Member
correct that knowing you own speed is most important. then seeing how the other player has matched up and how he has done hones in on closely what the right game is to break even.

then you decide what the spot will be so you have the edge you need to play if you need and edge.

a person that plays with the worst of it is basically giving his money away

one playing even games is just flipping coins and wasting time as far as the money part of it

one playing with smaller edges in short sessions is gambling

someone playing with large edges is transferring money from his opponents pocket to his own.

pick where you fit in.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

The above is very important.
The next thing is being able to play to the best of your ability.
I've played a lot of strangers in my life, if you're able to play your best it's very easy to tell if you can win or not.
When you're tentative and unsure you'll hack at'em it's hard to quit when you know you can do better.
It's better to concentrate on playing as well as you're able and not worrying about how your opponent plays.
This is for people who'll play about anyone, as I usually did.
Rod.
P.S. Had a lot of losers but a few notable upsets.
They don't always play their speed either. :)

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Well, there can be exceptions to that, like someone who matches up where they still win if they only play at 70% of their top speed. There are guys who match up where they have to play their top speed to win, and some who match up where they can still break about even if they only play 90%. I know many pool players who claim to be gamblers but are not. Is someone who has over a 90% winning percentage really a gambler?

My feeling is anyone who plays for money and has a 90% winning record is not only a gambler but is a VERY SMART GAMBLER!!!!!

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Perhaps noteworthy, guys with real good winning percentages could underrate their own games too.

In poolrooms, there are usually a few guys that are playing all the time, and I mean all the time, and they play everybody. Everyone uses them as kinda like speed gauges.

I have a question for people here, this is another one of those things perhaps deserving of its own thread, but I look around in pool and see loser after loser myself. Yeah there are players that are obviously coming out on the plus side, but is it just me, or does it seem like there are a lot more players that are losing or breaking even in pool. Really, think about 10 guys you play with and how many make money? Then you gotta factor in table time etc.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
My feeling is anyone who plays for money and has a 90% winning record is not only a gambler but is a VERY SMART GAMBLER!!!!!

DING DING DING... WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! :D You hit the nail on the head. Some players call me a locksmith, but pool is just like a business deal. You are trying to get the best deal possible. Like they say, during the matching up part of the game is where the winner is generally decided, the results will play themselves out. Although every now and then someone with the best of the game doesn't win but in general whoever got the best of the deal in the match up phase will win. When I started playing pool I wanted to improve and wanted recognition but eventually I realized recognition doesn't pay the bills.... Next time you cant pay your FPL bill tell them you don't have any money but YOU ARE HITTING THEM REALLLLL GOOOOD then go get some candles :p The reason my winning percentage is so high is because I negotiate real good and the MOST IMPORTANT THING is i KNOW MY OWN SPEED!!!! What good is knowing or being able to assess your opponent's speed if you overrate your own game? It isn't worth a damn. You have to be able to take your ego out of the equation and step back and analyze YOUR OWN game first. Then after you are able to give yourself an accurate opinion of your own game then you can start to assess potential opponent's speeds.

Last edited: