Houston Seniors October 2019

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ha! Ike always looks about half miserable..:D I'm surprised he used a breathing filter apparatus. Didn't Bogies suspend smoking during the tournament?

~Doc

Yes they did, and for me (a non-smoker too), I didn't notice the smoke at all during the tournament. The room is a big room and the 9' tables are clustered down at business end, so it is possible there were occasional stray smokers down the other way, but from what I saw there were notices posted all over the place saying no smoking during the tournament, so the management definitely took it seriously.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I know I took a little heat for recruiting Ray Hansen for the stream this year, and I deserve some from Bill Meyers if in fact I did not say something to him ahead of time (but I thought I did way back), but there is no question that with Ray there, he made a big difference in the calcutta auction success, as well as what he brings to the smooth flow of the tournament -- and that is aside from the quality of his stream production, which is top notch. Although those who are used to a free stream did not get that this year, everyone on site raved about the general level of professionalism that Ray brought that all agreed bodes well for the success of this tournament moving forward.

How was Ray's streaming received on your end? I ask for those who did subscribe, and also those who did not subscribe :)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
There are always several wives at Houston — and our member tourneys — she would be in good company!

Well Toni Varner FB me....she's coming next year, why? because I commented that I thought she would, and she gave me a ''like''.

An interesting thing about Toni, is her middle name, and how that word ''fit'' into her life.

Brackett

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I know I took a little heat for recruiting Ray Hansen for the stream this year, and I deserve some from Bill Meyers if in fact I did not say something to him ahead of time (but I thought I did way back), but there is no question that with Ray there, he made a big difference in the calcutta auction success, as well as what he brings to the smooth flow of the tournament -- and that is aside from the quality of his stream production, which is top notch. Although those who are used to a free stream did not get that this year, everyone on site raved about the general level of professionalism that Ray brought that all agreed bodes well for the success of this tournament moving forward.

How was Ray's streaming received on your end? I ask for those who did subscribe, and also those who did not subscribe :)

I stopped buying most streams from Ray but I did buy this one to support the event. JJ really earned his money during this tournament through very long hours of commentary. It didnt go unnoticed...I liked the looping of matches after hours.
Having a professional streamer do the event was a good idea and most likely gave the event more viewers with Ray's subscribers also being able to watch. It also added a level of professionalism. I would be on board if he had a open date to do the annual members.
Lastly, I know me as well as many others appreciate and recognize the support, contributions, streams etc our brother Bill has done over the years for us. Having somebody else carry some of the streaming load should open him up to play more pool with us instead of having to constantly deal with all the streaming problems that come up.. so in my mind this is a win for him too.

baby huey

Verified Member
It was a great event with a very tough field. The players who finished in the money rounds were truly great players. Bogies treated us all very well. They were so nice to us old fogies. I think starting with a round on thursday really helped out by finishing at a decent hour on sunday night. I think we should keep this schedule for next year, hopefully. James Davis Sr. really deserved to be in the hot seat for the second year in a row. He's such a great player who excels in all phases of the game. He just dominated the field. Congrats James. I hope John Smith is faring well after his illness? Maybe Steve Booth can give us an update? Get well John and see you next year.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
It was a great event with a very tough field. The players who finished in the money rounds were truly great players. Bogies treated us all very well. They were so nice to us old fogies. I think starting with a round on thursday really helped out by finishing at a decent hour on sunday night. I think we should keep this schedule for next year, hopefully. James Davis Sr. really deserved to be in the hot seat for the second year in a row. He's such a great player who excels in all phases of the game. He just dominated the field. Congrats James. I hope John Smith is faring well after his illness? Maybe Steve Booth can give us an update? Get well John and see you next year.

Not to be disrespectful, but I like what you said here with "old fogies"
We can brand this the Fogies At Boagies Annual event next year..... or at least have a cool shirt!!!
Jerry Matchin = Marketing Genius

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I know I took a little heat for recruiting Ray Hansen for the stream this year....

It was received real well.. The best ever for me. I would give it a 9.3 overall. I would carry on with him, especially if he kept that low of a price. I would rank higher if commentators had kept the score better.. If I was getting in the booth to do one pocket on a drop pocket, knowing their balls would be staying in the pockets and dumped in the side, I would bring a scratch piece of paper and pen. I started keeping the score a couple of times on my beer coaster. But, you know, no biggie...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I did not for the same reason I rarely do (no time to watch it) but hope that will change for me someday in the not so distant future...

I will say like I have many times before, it would be awesome if these videos were preserved somehow (youtube, facebook, another video storage site). The streamers can still make money for the live event and they can even charge for old content like a membership or whatever to see all vids in collection, but to be able to pay and access these videos when I want would be the nuts for me.

Sometimes I'm up real early and have a couple of hours, so I could go watch a match or part of one, sometimes 10 minutes, but would be nice to play and pause as my time allows...

(not a knock at all, I think Ray does a great job, just giving 2 cents on things that would make it better for me personally and make me a more consistent paying customer)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Having know em since he came on scene....I also cut my teeth on Scott Smith. Last event I saw em at this year, I went out of my way to tell him, how much better he has become at his trade, from his first video shoot. Mind you, I have worked with Pat Fleming, also on 3 TV production control trucks, during my hey day and was involved when Earl ran the 10 pack for a Mil....Ray is coming along nicely. Scott could say and get away with ''lets get ready to rumble'' in his heyday. In his prime Scott was to me, the equal of the Announcer that did that in Boxing. His inflection was spot on. Maybe that Ray Ray talk we had about he/Scott the Shot sunkIn.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

I've slowed buying streams but have to support ones like this. Ray made it very affordable - 4 days for $20. The stream was great, but for a very few glitches. The best part of Ray's streams (besides the quality) is the commentating talent he brings to the table; JJ is the best and made the slow times entertaining and educational, I love his rhythm, voice and knowledge. Mary and friends did a fine job when JJ wasn't around but I think they would agree things improve once JJ gets behind the mic.

Mary and LS John were good in the booth together when JJ was not there. I already posted a thread on one of my favorite LS John quotes so please take a look if you haven't already. Mary had a good one w/a different commentator when she said "Since they're playing fouls don't count this scratch shouldn't hurt him". I truly was laughing out loud, I'll let Mary explain it to those who didn't see/hear that sequence.

I would have loved to hear KY in the booth w/JJ, I think they would have been great together.

Thanks,
Dave

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
Mary and LS John were good in the booth together when JJ was not there. I already posted a thread on one of my favorite LS John quotes so please take a look if you haven't already. Mary had a good one w/a different commentator when she said "Since they're playing fouls don't count this scratch shouldn't hurt him". I truly was laughing out loud, I'll let Mary explain it to those who didn't see/hear that sequence.

This was pretty strange! Nick Varner owed two & Scott Kitto owed one. Nick made a few balls a little while later & both slept spotting the balls that Nick owed. Then the same thing happened when Scott made a couple & didn't spot up the one he owed. We couldn't believe BOTH of them forgot BOTH times but we're not allowed to say anything from the booth unless asked so that was that. Then a little while later, one of them fouled & I said "since they're playing scratches don't count, this one shouldn't hurt him." :)

Anyway, they kept going until the game was over - at least in their minds! LOL

And yes, I agree about JJ - there isn't a time I listen to Jeremy commentating one pocket or rotation that I don't learn something. Jeremy Jones is the absolute best.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
I would rank higher if commentators had kept the score better..

Yeah, I apologize - it's easy to get distracted for a little bit & pay attention every second of the game. If the guys had used the ball rack at the end of the table, it would've been easier.

It would be even better if the players had score cards visible to everyone for future events...:)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

I thought I had the support of OPORG, streaming on OPORG website, streaming the members tournaments, streaming Houston, some things for CB’s.
You know there was this feeling in my back after leaving Philadelphia kind of thought you stabbed me in the back, I wasn’t sure. Why would you really interfere in a tournament that wasn’t a One Pocket Event unless you were stuffing monetary reward for your efforts. Anyway, I appreciate you having so little respect for my efforts for the past four years, that you would do this for me. I mean, my flying down there, helping the whole tournament get started, helping to have some continuity for four years, including the Super Seniors, all on my own dime. I did it for selfish reasons. My love of One Pocket and I felt streaming it for OPORG would let me back in the game after I broke my neckDCC many years ago. You have these dreams that you’ll “get it back’, ‘you’ll be able to play again”, but it never happened for me. So streaming for me was my substitute love of the game. Plus being a pool, one pocket degenerate.....and my gambling addiction. (More like a gambling obsession). It all fit. The best part is I never ask anything of Bogies, or Steve, or OPORG, there was no reason. The past few years have been very prosperous times for me so it was something I could do, so I did. And there were problems too with my stream which I can understand pushing out a one man show over the ‘big act’. But if you look at Rays stream, he has problems too. It’s the nature of streaming. Everyone has problems streaming.
I have to be honest, Ray did say I could commentate but when it came down to it; that’s why I would come down, he got real quiet. I asked Ray to ask Tony, Mary, Steve about my ability to commentate but who knows what happened?
No that’s not true. Ray never called back, I stayed home and waited for the pathology reports to come back again. Every three months, more surgery.
There’s no hard feelings Steve. It would be a good idea for you to stay arms length from me though, I may have reaction to your presence.
Ask Ray to do the OPORG events. I’m busy.
Thanks for the nice thing you said 12 []ed, working with Jeremy would have been fun. I have a lot of respect how he teaches while commentating. I like to think that is how I tried to do it. Unless you come up to visit.....stay well my friend.:mad::(:mad::cool:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I thought I had the support of OPORG...

I thought it was John Rizzo who asked Ray to do it. Maybe both did.

Bill, at least twice you have said you wouldn't invest your time and money to do it any more. Possibly you reversed yourself after each occasion.

I heard many times that the players and Bogie's owners appreciated Ray's presence. His auctioneering and management of the tournament flow were a big help.

BTW, nothing close to solid yet, but Bogie's owners are talking about doing the Senior twice a year. If so, maybe we can revive the Super Senior.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
This was pretty strange! Nick Varner owed two & Scott Kitto owed one. Nick made a few balls a little while later & both slept spotting the balls that Nick owed. Then the same thing happened when Scott made a couple & didn't spot up the one he owed. We couldn't believe BOTH of them forgot BOTH times but we're not allowed to say anything from the booth unless asked so that was that. Then a little while later, one of them fouled & I said "since they're playing scratches don't count, this one shouldn't hurt him." :)
Anyway, they kept going until the game was over - at least in their minds! LOL

And yes, I agree about JJ - there isn't a time I listen to Jeremy commentating one pocket or rotation that I don't learn something. Jeremy Jones is the absolute best.

Mare, this is the road/life humor perspective in the booth I soooooooo enjoy.

Thx Mare, this type of humor is right up my chi town alley.

Beluschi Family (John/Jim) lived the town next to us in HS, first football game EVERY year was between our two schools. Just the like the Packers and the Bears.