Hopkins vs. Steve Cook

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Bill, I like this shot too with one exception. I think I prefer drawing the cue ball into the stack with this shot. In this way the shot can be hit with a firm stroke. I expect a double kiss on the ten-one but they should clear nicely should the kiss angle be laying right and with the proper speed needed for the draw. Many times the one will end up near my pocket with this type of shot and with the cue ball in the stack the risk of loosing the cue ball is reduced to zero. Also, we all know the value of leaving the cue ball buried in the stack. Tyler has it nearly correct but I'm not a fan of sending the cue ball off the bottom rail to get to the stack. The control for that is far more problematic.

Tom
If he can clear those two balls, now we do have a shot that passes the risk/reward test! Definitely I like drawing into the stack if playing this kind of shot because it is way easier to control.

I stand corrected, the soft kick isn't the "only" shot :D:D

PS Now that my eyes have been opened, I bet breakfast Cookie shot a variation of this

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Bill, I like this shot too with one exception. I think I prefer drawing the cue ball into the stack with this shot. In this way the shot can be hit with a firm stroke. I expect a double kiss on the ten-one but they should clear nicely should the kiss angle be laying right and with the proper speed needed for the draw. Many times the one will end up near my pocket with this type of shot and with the cue ball in the stack the risk of loosing the cue ball is reduced to zero. Also, we all know the value of leaving the cue ball buried in the stack. Tyler has it nearly correct but I'm not a fan of sending the cue ball off the bottom rail to get to the stack. The control for that is far more problematic.

Tom
I like your shot as well, however, with your shot you're shooting the 10ball directly into the 1ball, and not into the side rail and then into the 1ball. Yes you run the risk with your shot of getting the double kiss and not getting the movement from the 1ball that you need but the fact that you are controlling the cue ball will off set the number of times that you don't get the movement from the 1ball that's needed. I'm sure you know what I mean, it's playing the percentages with the shot, based off of the position of the balls.Your shot will work out, in terms of controlling the 1ball and 10ball a fairly high percentage of the time, however, your shot will work out in controlling the cue ball a much higher percentage than any other shot. For that reason I like your shot a bunch.

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
No sense in draggin' this one out longer. Most of the guys have replied. Several of you had variations on what Cook selected. He took awhile to consider, but he finally fired the 10-ball into the 1-ball, pulling whitey back and to his left a couple inches.

It cracked me up. Cardone, Grady and Danny all were groaning that Cook was "digging down" into the CB during the warm up, obviously gearing up to use some speed. After the conversion, Billy was the first to say what a good shot it was; Grady said he was astonished and impressed, and Danny begrudgingly admitted it was a good outcome, but that he "got lucky". Actually he did get a little lucky, since the 10-ball coming straight back almost caromed off the stack to Hopkin's hole. As it was, he left Allen nothing.;) Island Drive was right about Cook being an aggressive player, a la RA.

I'd probably have caromed off the 6 into the 1. I'm not comfortable digging down into the CB from the rail with distance. But Cook was determined to reverse his position, and he had the stroke and the eye to do it. ~Doc

COO 2.jpg

COOK 3.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Yes Bill playing the rail first kick behind the 6 ball requires alot of skill.. YOU better pass that option by:p I dont think you can hit the 10 ball into the 1 ball with inside and have the cueball hit the 6 ball. Plus the reason I like drawing with a little spin the cueball under the stack and then 3 rails uptable by the corner pocket on his side is because taking that route my cue ball is traveling more distance than yours, trying to go straight uptable with inside. Since my cue ball is traveling farther I am able to hit it harder and get more movement out of the 1 ball and 10 ball. Plus with inside english if you miss the 6 ball you have to sweat the cueball hitting the side pocket tit or scratching up table in the corner pocket.
There are a few different options but this is definitely one of those shots that you have to be at the table to see all the angles of what is possible
You're right about one thing, 'my skill level.'

Yes I like the way you play this shot too, especially on a tight table where you can challenge your opponent from shooting the return shot with the 6ball. Of course playing top players this method of playing the shot is not as good as it would be playing B players and below. Not to imply that this is a bad shot playing top players, which it isn't, just trying to put things in a better perspective.

There is a reason why you can give me 9/6, other than my low skill level.;):D

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
No sense in draggin' this one out longer. Most of the guys have replied. Several of you had variations on what Cook selected. He took awhile to consider, but he finally fired the 10-ball into the 1-ball, pulling whitey back and to his left a couple inches.

It cracked me up. Cardone, Grady and Danny all were groaning that Cook was "digging down" into the CB during the warm up, obviously gearing up to use some speed. After the conversion, Billy was the first to say what a good shot it was; Grady said he was astonished and impressed, and Danny begrudgingly admitted it was a good outcome, but that he "got lucky". Actually he did get a little lucky, since the 10-ball coming straight back almost caromed off the stack to Hopkin's hole. As it was, he left Allen nothing.;) Island Drive was right about Cook being an aggressive player, a la RA.

I'd probably have caromed off the 6 into the 1. I'm not comfortable digging down into the CB from the rail with distance. But Cook was determined to reverse his position, and he had the stroke and the eye to do it. ~Doc

View attachment 8969

View attachment 8970
Cook played the shot the best way to control 'all the balls' his way of shooting the shot assured him of never getting a kiss like with Tom's shot but Tom's shot positioned the cue ball in a much better position, providing he missed getting the kiss. After seeing how Cook shot the shot and listened to all the suggestions how every one else would of shot the shot, I like Cooks shot best.
:sorry

Dr. Bill

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
9 Ball

9 Ball

Cook played the shot the best way to control 'all the balls' his way of shooting the shot assured him of never getting a kiss like with Tom's shot but Tom's shot positioned the cue ball in a much better position, providing he missed getting the kiss. After seeing how Cook shot the shot and listened to all the suggestions how every one else would of shot the shot, I like Cooks shot best.

Dr. Bill

Having watched Steve play allot of nine ball in my youth, and during his years of Janscos and Jr. Golfs room in Tampa... he could definitely bring it/put heat on just about anyone at Any given time. His mild mannered Sigel like ball pocketing at times would appear, tho that aspect of his game seemed to play second fiddle to his ''stickin a cue ball that was struck FIRMLY. When the monster arrives, I just hope you doubled down....:heh

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Dr. Bill

The only trouble I see with the position Steve left here is the possible combo bank which looks from this angle somewhat inviting. I really don't like disturbing balls below the stack which will in all likelihood remain low, without having planned cover for the cue ball. The risk of leaving banks is highly probable.

Tom

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You're right about one thing, 'my skill level.'

Yes I like the way you play this shot too, especially on a tight table where you can challenge your opponent from shooting the return shot with the 6ball. Of course playing top players this method of playing the shot is not as good as it would be playing B players and below. Not to imply that this is a bad shot playing top players, which it isn't, just trying to put things in a better perspective.

There is a reason why you can give me 9/6, other than my low skill level.;):D

Dr. Bill

You are learning too much lately in these WWYD's... Im thinking our new game is about 9 to 8 :D

piggybank04

Verified Member
What about something like this. He might not be able to get in there to that though; 5 might be in the way. I can't see too many ways to hit the stack and sell out, it looks juicy coming in from that angle.
i like this shot, its just a matter of getting a little lucky to not leave a easy return bank or safe, and not selling out the 6 ball, but overall, it looks pretty good--id shoot it most of the time......

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
All the replies in this thread and nobody could see that Cook was very obviously attempting to bank the 1 ball cross-corner with the 10 ball:confused:. It's the only shot an intelligent One-Pocket player would shoot from the rail, at long distance, and a combination/bank to boot.

D.D. was very obviously the only intelligent co-commentator and only intelligent poster on this match, he knew that Cook got lucky.

JMHO
ICBW

RBL