Hopkins vs. Steve Cook

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's been a slow week on the site, so I'll post a shot I watched last night that surprised me. 1990 Legends of One Pocket. It's the "Cookie Monster's" shot. He's behind 2-0 in this rack. I thought of several shots, but Cook's selection was not one of them... ~Doc

COOK 1.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would have to soft kick the ball by Hopkins' pocket. For me I don't see anything else that passes the risk/reward test -- i.e. too much risk and not enough reward for the other options so "KISS" is for me :D

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Sweep

Sweep

Knowin' Steve, he probably stacked the cue ball by hitting the dark stripe full, moving 4 balls....three are caroms one is a bank + the ball by Hoppies pocket should be be affected....that bank combo is almost wired, and ya got em jacked up by stackin' whitey. Otherwise I like rolling behind the solid ball by Alans pocket, have him move it for ya on his next shot. But Steve, he hits this type of ''stick'' shot real good as I remember. Gets em movin' like RA at times.:D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I would have to soft kick the ball by Hopkins' pocket. For me I don't see anything else that passes the risk/reward test -- i.e. too much risk and not enough reward for the other options so "KISS" is for me :D

since we know doc wouldnt show this as the answer
heres another option for me which im sure steve cook didnt shoot either...:eek:
depending on the angle at the table
6 goes cross side or into the stack moving something to my side and go forward behind the solid at his side
ss1.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

since we know doc wouldnt show this as the answer
heres another option for me which im sure steve cook didnt shoot either...:eek:
depending on the angle at the table
6 goes cross side or into the stack moving something to my side and go forward behind the ball by his pocket
ss1.jpg

tylerdurden

Verified Member
What about something like this. He might not be able to get in there to that though; 5 might be in the way. I can't see too many ways to hit the stack and sell out, it looks juicy coming in from that angle.

Attachments

• COOK-1.jpg
    COOK-1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1

onepockethacker

Verified Member
What about something like this. He might not be able to get in there to that though; 5 might be in the way. I can't see too many ways to hit the stack and sell out, it looks juicy coming in from that angle.

I play this type of shot all the time. It depends on how much of the 10 ball he can see. He may be able to shoot the 10 ball into the 1 ball and draw into the stack. Also shooting the same shot but drawing the cueball under the stack 3 rails trying to leave him straight in on the 6 ball close to the end rail. If those are not available I would kick behind the 6 ball with inside english and float the cueball down behind the 1 ball.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I play this type of shot all the time. It depends on how much of the 10 ball he can see. He may be able to shoot the 10 ball into the 1 ball and draw into the stack. Also shooting the same shot but drawing the cueball under the stack 3 rails trying to leave him straight in on the 6 ball close to the end rail. If those are not available I would kick behind the 6 ball with inside english and float the cueball down behind the 1 ball.

robert why the ticki behind the 6 instead of how i proposed to get the cue ball to the same location??

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

I would consider shooting the 10ball into the 1ball with "inside" english and send the cue ball toward the 6ball. This shot can be hit with speed to play the cue ball to the other end of the table if you should happen to miss hitting the 6ball. Don't like going into the stack with the cue ball with this shot, going toward the 6ball is imo, much better for several reasons. One, you can hit it with more speed. Two, you can play the cue ball to the other end of the table if you miss hitting the 6ball. Three, you will get more movement from both the 10ball and the 1ball.

Playing the rail behind the 6ball is too risky for me, weak option. This shot doesn't have an upside that will off set the downside.

Dr. Bill

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I would consider shooting the 10ball into the 1ball with "inside" english and send the cue ball toward the 6ball. This shot can be hit with speed to play the cue ball to the other end of the table if you should happen to miss hitting the 6ball. Don't like going into the stack with the cue ball with this shot, going toward the 6ball is imo, much better for several reasons. One, you can hit it with more speed. Two, you can play the cue ball to the other end of the table if you miss hitting the 6ball. Three, you will get more movement from both the 10ball and the 1ball.

Playing the rail behind the 6ball is too risky for me, weak option. This shot doesn't have an upside that will off set the downside.

Dr. Bill

Dr Bill,

There looks to be a bit more kiss potential going with inside - I think. Do you feel there not much potential for a kiss there? I like the thought behind your shot and totally overlooked it.

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
robert why the ticki behind the 6 instead of how i proposed to get the cue ball to the same location??

because of the angle you cant bank the 6 ball cross table and put the cueball where you want. On your shot to get the cue ball where you want you have to barely graze the 6 ball. When you do the 6 ball will be bankable for your opponent

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Dr. Bill

Bill, I like this shot too with one exception. I think I prefer drawing the cue ball into the stack with this shot. In this way the shot can be hit with a firm stroke. I expect a double kiss on the ten-one but they should clear nicely should the kiss angle be laying right and with the proper speed needed for the draw. Many times the one will end up near my pocket with this type of shot and with the cue ball in the stack the risk of loosing the cue ball is reduced to zero. Also, we all know the value of leaving the cue ball buried in the stack. Tyler has it nearly correct but I'm not a fan of sending the cue ball off the bottom rail to get to the stack. The control for that is far more problematic.

Tom

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

Yes Bill playing the rail first kick behind the 6 ball requires alot of skill.. YOU better pass that option by:p I dont think you can hit the 10 ball into the 1 ball with inside and have the cueball hit the 6 ball. Plus the reason I like drawing with a little spin the cueball under the stack and then 3 rails uptable by the corner pocket on his side is because taking that route my cue ball is traveling more distance than yours, trying to go straight uptable with inside. Since my cue ball is traveling farther I am able to hit it harder and get more movement out of the 1 ball and 10 ball. Plus with inside english if you miss the 6 ball you have to sweat the cueball hitting the side pocket tit or scratching up table in the corner pocket.
There are a few different options but this is definitely one of those shots that you have to be at the table to see all the angles of what is possible

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Bill, I like this shot too with one exception. I think I prefer drawing the cue ball into the stack with this shot. In this way the shot can be hit with a firm stroke. I expect a double kiss on the ten-one but they should clear nicely should the kiss angle be laying right and with the proper speed needed for the draw. Many times the one will end up near my pocket with this type of shot and with the cue ball in the stack the risk of loosing the cue ball is reduced to zero. Also, we all know the value of leaving the cue ball buried in the stack. Tyler has it nearly correct but I'm not a fan of sending the cue ball off the bottom rail to get to the stack. The control for that is far more problematic.

Tom

Yes Tom that was one of the 2 ways I like playing it also. However if the angle allows you will get more value going under the stack 3 rails up table with less risk of leaving a good shot. The way you suggested you have to hit the 10 ball directly into the 1 ball playing the balls to kiss and drawing the cueball into the stack. The problem with the shot is MOST of the time both balls will clear, however there is a chance since the balls are kissing that one of them might sit right there for an easy shot for your opponent. With the option I chose to go under and around the stack im cutting the 10 ball off the side rail and then into the 1 ball. There is no chance of both balls not leaving the area.

Last edited: