vero beach fl
since i wasnt there:(
anyone who was there that wants to say anything about it
NOW IS YOUR CHANCE:)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
The Hall of Fame was a great event. It was very nice to have all these great players in the same room together and being recognized for their contributions. Steve puts on a fine event with many people helping out to make it all happen.

Their were lots of laughs, some tears and some great stories. Alot of the people there, all know each other, so it's like a annual meeting of a family.

Allen, John, Wade and Tony Fargo were inducted.

Below are just a couple of pics. The girl with Steve and I, is Angel Levine who I see running around taking video all over the place.
halloffame2011.jpg

halloffame20111.jpg

steveangelgreg.jpg

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It was Tony Fargo that was elected for Banks a couple of years ago, but there was an ice storm that year, which made the driving impossible so he missed the dinner. He came this year to get his due award...

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
NH Steve said:
It was Tony Fargo that was elected for Banks a couple of years ago, but there was an ice storm that year, which made the driving impossible so he missed the dinner. He came this year to get his due award...

Corrected... Sorry!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
CaliRed said:
The Hall of Fame was a great event. It was very nice to have all these great players in the same room together and being recognized for their contributions. Steve puts on a fine event with many people helping out to make it all happen.

Their were lots of laughs, some tears and some great stories. Alot of the people there, all know each other, so it's like a annual meeting of a family.

Allen, John, Wade and Tony Fargo were inducted.

Below are just a couple of pics. The girl with Steve and I, is Angel Levine who I see running around taking video all over the place.
View attachment 2295

View attachment 2296

View attachment 2297
in the group photo
top row
billy grady dany di freddy ????,????
bottom row
buddy (guess his weight 300??) ????:,???

could someone tell me who the others are in the picture? thanks

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
in the group photo
top row
bottom row

To the far left, is Bunny Rogoff. To Buddy's left, is Joanne Jansco, next to her is Truman Hogue (the other champion the Beard is drooling on)..:eek:

PS..I think you may be off about 100 lbs. on Buddy's weight..:cool: (unless he has 'settled' some, he is about 6 ft. tall)

PS..Don't know the guy to the Beard's left...(could be his "handler")..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
George Powalski

George Powalski

lll said:
in the group photo
top row
bottom row

The Johnston City Alumnus to the left of me is George Powalski from Racine, Wis. Played fair. Beat Truman playing even banks in Alabama, Joe Salazar playing 9ball on the bar table after he had just dusted Seigel and B Hall. Robbed Tom Spencer in Tom's pool room giving him the 8 ball. A 300 ball runner. Played zero 1 pkt however. Artie gave him 8 to 5 at North Shore Billiard club. Playing 9 ball he could have given Artie the 7 easily. Played on several national championship 8 ball teams, one in Vegas and one in Milwaukee ( with the team that I was on, along with John Abruzzo and Artie B) in 81. Possessor of an incredible draw stroke. That's who he is.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Remember

Remember

I remember that 8-ball team from reading the magazine and seeing the picture Freddie and remeber thinking why would the team from nowhere beat all the big city,California etc. champs??A celestial occurence for sure and also the fact to keep 4 guys together from the East or West coast is impossible as theres too much going on.Looking out my window at the Minnesota-Wisconsin winter its the only game in town unless your ice-fishing looking at a hole in the ice and drinking yourself warm.I hope this comes across as a compliment as I never know here,cheers,Bob

#Cruncher

Verified Member
There was a debate going for several years on who had the most powerful stroke to come out of Wisconsin (Midwest even?), George Palewski or George Brundt. Well the debate intensified when a third player with a powerful stroke came around.

A kid named Larry.
I wonder what ever happened to him? ;)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
#Cruncher said:
There was a debate going for several years on who had the most powerful stroke to come out of Wisconsin (Midwest even?), George Palewski or George Brundt. Well the debate intensified when a third player with a powerful stroke came around.

A kid named Larry.
I wonder what ever happened to him? ;)

I believe he's around somewhere. I saw him playing banks and as he rounded the corner of the table, he about knocked me out of my seat with his white shoes.

Larry always has ear phones in and has no discussion with anyone around him.
nevel.jpg

nevelshoes.jpg

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
unsure

unsure

Not sure of the Larry guy.Ron Dobosenski out of Madison was pretty good but he didnt last long.Will there ever be another Tennessee Tarzan??IN 3-cushion they used to talk of a Mexican champ but I never saw him.Blomdahl is way up there,Raymond C too but his forte was accuracy and defense and he was always happy when he went to the chair cause he knew he didnt leave a shot and would be right back......wandering again,cheers,B

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Y'all shoulda...bin dere.

Beard

A laugh filled, emotional, nostalgic night --- as usual.

I'm sure it was Fred...If you think I wouldn't rather have been there, you are sadly mistaken...2 trips to the ER recently.. But I still looked into flying in at the last minute, just for the HOF dinner. Nothing available that would have got me there before 10:30 PM Tues...Plus, My daughter, who is down here from Denver, said I was crazy, and refused to drive me to the airport, if I could have gotten a flight. (First class was available...at $2750 RT..ETA 6;30 PM)...had to pass.

It sucks big time, not being there, especially this year..:(

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
I heard they diagnosed you with the Ghost flu:p .

I may spend 3K, to fly to Detroit tomorrow,...Just to shoot you in the head..:eek:

Williebetmore

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
The Johnston City Alumnus to the left of me is George Powalski from Racine, Wis. Played fair. Beat Truman playing even banks in Alabama, Joe Salazar playing 9ball on the bar table after he had just dusted Seigel and B Hall. Robbed Tom Spencer in Tom's pool room giving him the 8 ball. A 300 ball runner. Played zero 1 pkt however. Artie gave him 8 to 5 at North Shore Billiard club. Playing 9 ball he could have given Artie the 7 easily. Played on several national championship 8 ball teams, one in Vegas and one in Milwaukee ( with the team that I was on, along with John Abruzzo and Artie B) in 81. Possessor of an incredible draw stroke. That's who he is.

Beard

Bearded One,
It's George PAWELSKI (pronounced pa-vel'-ski).

A great player. Mark Wilson observed him one day run over 200 in straight pool, then a double digit run in a game of 3-cushion, then TWICE around the table in one inning in a golf game on the snooker table. A formidable opponent.

I spent a couple of hours with him last night, he is expert on the subject of golf course architecture (scratch golfer, and helluva bowler).

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Williebetmore said:
Bearded One,

A great player. Mark Wilson observed him one day run over 200 in straight pool, then a double digit run in a game of 3-cushion, then TWICE around the table in one inning in a golf game on the snooker table. A formidable opponent.

I spent a couple of hours with him last night, he is expert on the subject of golf course architecture (scratch golfer, and helluva bowler).

Real nice guy George, sorry to hear He's not up to par health wise. We've known each other and have been friends for over 40 yrs, had our battles at the ("niche game") and golf, the golf was pretty even, the 3c somewhat lopsided. Good athelete in his day, and loved the horse's.
Williebetmore, if you see him again, please say hello for me, He'll know me as "Smitty" from Chicago.

Thanks;
Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

http://www.mr3cushion.com

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I'll probably spell it wrong again

I'll probably spell it wrong again

Williebetmore said:
Bearded One,

Willie, I have known and have played George since about 1963. I have also been misspelling his name for a like time. Now we just go out for pizza when he comes to Chicago. Between him and Sailor Stellman, Racine and Kenosha Wis were not fun stops for road players.

Beard

George was at the dinner at the request of Steve Booth who was looking for Johnston City survivors. We wound up having only seven of us at the dinner. I felt like those Doolitle Raid guys on their annual get together, with the band getting smaller and smaller.