Hitting the road

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Now that things have calmed down a little here, I’m going to appeal to the guys who have traveled to gamble to give us a peek at the atmosphere out there on the road. I would like to hear from the guys who have been out there and have given it up, and also from those who still leave home now and then to find new action. We are all ears – (finger of speech, really):

What makes it a good trip; the money or the action?
Do you ever go just to get away from home/job/routine?
Do you hustle? Do you try to deceive people about your speed? Have you used a false name? Would you want to be remembered as a good hustler?
Do you live well on the road, or sleep and eat on the cheap?
Are you under pressure to make a profit? Do you gamble with the rent money?
How do you know when it’s time to go home? When it’s time to quit traveling?
How about a story or two?

All replies appreciated.

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
road trips

road trips

I started making road trips about late 1967 or early 1968. Depends on what you call a road trip.

My game was good enough by 14.5 years old to make a few bucks in bars around Houston area. By 15 years old I would hustle the surrounding counties and get a game here and there.

But if you run into a good hustler, he never will bring his A game forward unless he has to.

You might be playing a guy like Buddy Hall and not know it and he will never run six racks on you unless he needs to.

If somebody runs six racks on you, what are you doing playing that guy, LOL.

Pool hustling is a full time job, not part time. If I were doing it today I would live in a 17 ft. Casita travel trailer pulled by a small diesel SUV.

Probably would have to make your money in night clubs due to the fact some hot shot would bust you in a pool room in the major cities around the country.

I played anywhere there was tables, night clubs, pool halls wherever.

Played in some pretty scary places back in the late sixties.

There were pool rooms back in my time right here in texas that was nightmarish to a road hustler.

If you were from out of town and walked into the LaCue Club in downtown Houston you dropped a notch or two on the food chain and I don't care who it was that came, he or she couldn't win against that bunch of nasties at all games.

Also pool hustling is not that great for marriages, lol.

When I was doing the road thing when I was a kid, I had a blast most of the time, it was like a kid in the candy store.

Got to see different parts of the country for free, haha.

But if you go on the road now days, you better know your pecking order and stay disciplined with your losses for you might run into one of these guys in a painters outfit, INCARDONA, JIM REMPE, JIM MATAYA, EDDIE BURTON, BUDDY HALL, LUTHER LASSITER, RONNIE ALLEN, EDDIE KELLY, MIKE MASSEY, STEVE COOK, NICK VARNER, DANNY JONES, TALL JEFF, KENNY ANDERSON, JOHN THE DUKE DOWEL, JAMES CRISTOPHER, COLE DICKSON, ONE EYED TONY AND ME! LOL

Get the picture, Tall Jeff had a great saying, I STARTED WITH NOTHING AND STILL GOT MOST OF IT, LMAO. That is a pool player/hustler, they still got most of it, LOL.

You only live once and what a great game it is, have fun doing it, but beware of Giants in painter outfits!

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Okay, there's a good response, and it suggests another question. Where is the money out there - is it in the bar boxes? Even the big money?

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
speaking of painters outfits, one time i had a mataya video about the art of hustling---didnt get much out of it, but it was hilarious to watch--- and corny as hell......

Eengat

Verified Member
That video is on youtube
Cash thats where its at
Its funny yes but believe me i watched it a month ago before going to the States trying to imprint it in my brain to play to get thet cash instead of the best that i can play haha
I can't
Just came back from Chicago and New Orleans
Playing good pool is a skill you acquire just like hustling or grift is
I have not learnt that skill and i am aware that costs me money
But....
I do good enough to do it once or twice per year,make a buck, have great food, meet lots of people and sell it to the mrs so i can do it all over again in 6 months

Would be different and more profitable popping a pill or two so i dont lose back my winnings after 6-8 hours of winning
But i choose not to as its not my source of income

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
anyone that knows any big time champions/players knows that 90% of them are nothing but broke deadbeats...... i dont have much respect for them, except i admit they can play...... i have more respect for the guys that actually try to make a real career of it, they are few...... we have two top players around here, one is contemplating quitting because he says theres no money in it, and the other guy, great as he is, owes everybody and his brother money, and now everyone hates him......we all like to hear the great stories of big money matches etc, but the sad truth is, most of these guys are just dead broke pool bums.......not something some people are going to like, but its true.......

beatle

Verified Member
pool like most gambling stakes has not kept up with inflation. most pool rooms the bad players still only play for up to 20 a game.

but the bad players is where you make your money. playing anyone who can run more than 4 balls is a waste of time as they quit right away and dont have any money to start.
unless you can or want to play as good as the best player in town and bust him and move on to the next town. as when you go in a room that is who they will sic on you.

you make your money and still can by finding out who the gamblers are that cant play a lick. then hang around and get known as a bad player yourself. then take them off real good.
those that cannot or wont stall and think they have to win every game or play their best better bring lots of money for the return trip home.

most pool rooms if you play the guy that asks you he will beat you or you get to win one or two games and your action is killed.

if i wasnt after a key guy in an area i would find the worst player in town and when everyone was around i would play him for a couple dollars a game and let him beat the pants off me while giving me a spot. then i worked my way up the ladder beating everyone in order of how they played and what they would lose. plan on staying there awhile.

stay away from bars as you cant win more than a couple hundred if lucky and nowadays may find a lot of trouble unless you know whats going on before you got there, which you should.
i find being old is an advantage as the older money players relate to you and rather play you than a young gun. and young guns arent worth playing as they dont have enough to lose.

play only gimmick games and games you dont have to show your speed to win, or you lose everyone that first time you draw your cue ball four feet or even two.
i cant tell you how many times i busted decent players getting a ton of weight and hearing them telling their backer or friends as they were getting broke that how can he be beating me, he hasnt drawn his cue ball once since we played and the times he tried it just stopped or jumped.

its all how you lay it down, unless as i said you are a world beater and want to win fast and go through each town busting the best player and moving on.
no one here is good enough anymore to do that.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
anyone that knows any big time champions/players knows that 90% of them are nothing but broke deadbeats...... i dont have much respect for them, except i admit they can play...... i have more respect for the guys that actually try to make a real career of it, they are few...... we have two top players around here, one is contemplating quitting because he says theres no money in it, and the other guy, great as he is, owes everybody and his brother money, and now everyone hates him......we all like to hear the great stories of big money matches etc, but the sad truth is, most of these guys are just dead broke pool bums.......not something some people are going to like, but its true.......

i cant disagreewith anything you said
BUT
why throw water on a thread most of us would like to read......:confused::confused::confused:
personally i love to read the stories and live vicariously thru the eyes of the guys who did it....:)
just sayin

Dead Empty

As was explained to me, luckily at an early age, you have to know all the adjustments. Last 2, last 3, call eight, wild eight, last 3 but I break, and so forth. Then you match up 4 spots from a fair game and rob the guy. Then you match up 3 spots away and rob him again, then match up 2 spots then 1 spot away from a fair game robbing him each time. Then, when you get to a fair game, go find somebody else to play. You can't make money in a fair game. Of course, the game is won before you even walk into a room. You have to know when he's holding good and you have to refuse to play at first to find out the worst game he'll take. Say no enough times and gamblers convince themselves you must not be able to play very well. And knowing who beats who is strong. You need the discipline to play the weakest player first, Again, this is where first saying no a number of times works very well.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
When I was on the road back in the late 60's, I always showed respect for the room and the players I matched up with. Win or lose I always wanted to be able to come back and play again. My point being, I tried to gun sling as much as possible. I just managed my money so I could take losses and still come back and play with my own cash. When Hawaiian Brian and I went to the Le Cue in 1970, that was a tough room to play in. Very good players and lots of angles being shot at us all the time. We got out with the cash after a big score and could come back. Why, because we represented ourselves exactly as we were which was players who wanted action and were willing to take on tough action. We just didn't blow the bankroll on one match. I think too much is made out about tough rooms to play in and by that I mean you couldn't get out if you won the money. I just think that if you showed respect and matched up fair and square you could continue to win and not have any problems. If you decide to heist a joint by giving no action or just robbing players then watch out. Whatever happens is usually your fault.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
i cant disagreewith anything you said
BUT
why throw water on a thread most of us would like to read......:confused::confused::confused:
personally i love to read the stories and live vicariously thru the eyes of the guys who did it....:)
just sayin
sorry man, not trying to rain on anybodys parade but i hate when people try to glamorize this when its pretty much a dead end..... i did nothing but hustle for 5 years when i was young, and it was tough--feast or famine, sure, i got some cool stories, but wouldnt want to ever do it again..... i like the stories too, but again, there aint no money in pool brother.......

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Excellent post, Jerry - thanks. For a long time I have wanted to know more about Jack Cooney. The book on him seems to be that he is the consummate hustler who got the cash, but was often welcome to come back and play again. Efren may be the Magician, but Cooney might be the Wizard. I have his losing match against Cliff Joyner in the 1998 LOOP event in Baton Rouge, and I have seen one other, in which he noses out a young Chicago player. Kid with big hair, as I recall. We don't see or hear much about Jack. He needs a good PR man - not.

PIB's post today is very revealing about hustling. Hoping to hear more.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
sorry man, not trying to rain on anybodys parade but i hate when people try to glamorize this when its pretty much a dead end..... i did nothing but hustle for 5 years when i was young, and it was tough--feast or famine, sure, i got some cool stories, but wouldnt want to ever do it again..... i like the stories too, but again, there aint no money in pool brother.......

this thread is not an opportunity to preach reality....:sorry...imho
just to hear some stories
and to glamorize the road life alittle (there i said it ,,:D)
lets hear some of your 5 years of hustling...:)
i would like to know
as i said before all you said is true
and i have no hard feelings toward you...:)
just think that guys that did it regardless of what they have today
should have our respect
jmho
no icbw this time

El Chapo

Verified Member

It's funny because I did nothing but play pool for a solid ten years. I had some school sorta wedged in the middle so it wasn't all out, but I did play when I was in school too.

Anyway, to my point... I own my own business now...and for example, a couple of days ago I got an email from a client. He wants five of my images to go up on billboards, side of trucks, on flyers all over the world. He licensed five images at 600 a piece. Those were images that are just trash for me sitting on hard drives that I shot for other clients doing my "day job". 3000 bucks and all I did was press send and attached an invoice. And, I didn't have to worry about a couple guys coming in with shotguns and grabbing it off the light or anything (but where's the fun then? Lol).

I don't know what the hell my point is, but if you stop playing pool I can tell you, you can practically make a score every week and it's not hard at all. I read that a good player said that once and it can't be any closer to the truth.

beatle

Verified Member
if you are a good hustler you can go anywhere and make a pile of money from something or another. maybe pool or maybe something else, and honestly.
ive shown or told many people how to get rich or improve their net worth tremendously. very few lifted a finger to do what i advised. last one that did has made a million in equity in the last three or four years.
same as pool it is all about picking the right spots and going for it.
most pool players get broke because they dont know when to quit or cant quit when losing. i love those that say "i like to out run the nuts".
cole was like that he could never quit till broke. i got so many of his cues for 75 bucks it was a joke. he would go off drunk for everything and hand me his cue for 75 or a 100 and call billy for another one a week later. and it wasnt that he needed the money as he knew he could get any amount from me when he wasnt drunk but he hated the cue after he lost and wanted it out of his sight.
he was lucky he was a money generator and could always get back in action.
he is gone now as he destroyed his body and will be missed.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
pool like most gambling stakes has not kept up with inflation. most pool rooms the bad players still only play for up to 20 a game.

but the bad players is where you make your money. playing anyone who can run more than 4 balls is a waste of time as they quit right away and dont have any money to start.
unless you can or want to play as good as the best player in town and bust him and move on to the next town. as when you go in a room that is who they will sic on you.

you make your money and still can by finding out who the gamblers are that cant play a lick. then hang around and get known as a bad player yourself. then take them off real good.
those that cannot or wont stall and think they have to win every game or play their best better bring lots of money for the return trip home.

most pool rooms if you play the guy that asks you he will beat you or you get to win one or two games and your action is killed.

if i wasnt after a key guy in an area i would find the worst player in town and when everyone was around i would play him for a couple dollars a game and let him beat the pants off me while giving me a spot. then i worked my way up the ladder beating everyone in order of how they played and what they would lose. plan on staying there awhile.

stay away from bars as you cant win more than a couple hundred if lucky and nowadays may find a lot of trouble unless you know whats going on before you got there, which you should.
i find being old is an advantage as the older money players relate to you and rather play you than a young gun. and young guns arent worth playing as they dont have enough to lose.

play only gimmick games and games you dont have to show your speed to win, or you lose everyone that first time you draw your cue ball four feet or even two.
i cant tell you how many times i busted decent players getting a ton of weight and hearing them telling their backer or friends as they were getting broke that how can he be beating me, he hasnt drawn his cue ball once since we played and the times he tried it just stopped or jumped.

its all how you lay it down, unless as i said you are a world beater and want to win fast and go through each town busting the best player and moving on.
no one here is good enough anymore to do that.

That reminds me of a story from the mid 90's

I had a trip to Saint Johns, Newfoundland. Found a pool hall listed in the yellow pages, remember them. As soon as I walk in some guy asks to play 9 ball. After a few hours he quits a hundred loser. His buddy walks over and says he's from the U.k. and would like to play some but I turn him down because it's late and I have to fly in the morning.

About a year later I run into him at Bogarts in Detroit area. There's a big tournament going on and he's there looking to score from the players that fall out of the tournament. A year goes by and I run into him at the Sport Palace in New Orleans. Turns out he's been there for months and is dating a girl that I used to date:heh

So this tall Brit was just hanging out at the bar drinking every day. Plenty of players asked him to play but he turned them all down. After a few weeks go by players kept offering bigger and bigger spots. He finally accepted a big spot and played loosing a few bucks here and there. After a little while he started winning and the spots started getting smaller and smaller. After all was said and done, it turns out he could play on par with the best New Orleans had to offer. He left town when the money dried up.