Hit and Pick

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Could somebody please explain to me how the hit and pick spot works...

Thanks

If you are giving up one hit & the pick to someone, that person gets all the breaks and after his break gets to pick a ball off the table and put it in his pocket. If he didn't make one on the break then it would be your shot.

Two hit & the pick is the same except he would pick up two balls after his break and put them in his pocket.

P.S. If the guy makes one on the break he keeps shooting till he misses, then he removes his spot ball(s) from the table.

Dennis

Last edited:

dsb8541

Interesting. How would this compare to typical ball spots? Is this a bigger spot than 9-7 or 10 - 6?

ArkansasKingpin

Okay this is where I'm confused... I'm GETTING the spot... Do you and your opponent always start at 8 when playing Hit and Pick..?

Is this how it works..?

Hit and Pick 1=8/7
Hit and Pick 2=8/6
Hit and Pick 3=8/5

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Interesting. How would this compare to typical ball spots? Is this a bigger spot than 9-7 or 10 - 6?

Well you're automatically giving up at least 8-7 after the break and the guy will probably remove the corner ball from the table that leaks out in front of your pocket so he can never sell out that corner ball.

In my opinion it's worth depends on how knowledgeable the guy is about which ball to remove and how well he breaks. I think it's generally a little less than 9-7 but I haven't given it up in a long time.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Okay this is where I'm confused... I'm GETTING the spot... Do you and your opponent always start at 8 when playing Hit and Pick..?

Is this how it works..?

Hit and Pick 1=8/7
Hit and Pick 2=8/6
Hit and Pick 3=8/5

Yes, that is how it works. You are still going to 8 balls and he is going to 8 balls. (Sorry for not mentioning this in my first reply, I forgot) If you scratch on the break you just spot up the ball you would've taken off the table. Then you would still go to 8 if playing one hit & the pick.

To be clear, if there is one ball left on the table and you both need it, you will both have 7 balls in your pocket.

Dennis

Last edited:

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Spotting at Red Shoes almost always takes the form of "hit and pick. One hit and the pick is approx. 8-6 (depending how how good the guy breaks). Two hit and the pick is approx. 10-6 (again depending on how good he breaks). The reason it goes to 10 instead of 9....Your opponent can break "bad" getting to pick one...."two" never (unless he scratches). Also it is a good idea to make him "switch sides" on every break. Because your opponent is "putting his hand on the table"....each ball is worth more than ONE.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Spotting at Red Shoes almost always takes the form of "hit and pick. One hit and the pick is approx. 8-6 (depending how how good the guy breaks). Two hit and the pick is approx. 10-6 (again depending on how good he breaks). The reason it goes to 10 instead of 9....Your opponent can break "bad" getting to pick one...."two" never (unless he scratches). Also it is a good idea to make him "switch sides" on every break. Because your opponent is "putting his hand on the table"....each ball is worth more than ONE.

That's an excellent assessment of the value of 1 hit and the pick. I always felt, based off of how I fared playing that game that it was worth 10 to 7, but 8 to 6 is close as well.

Billy I.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
comment

comment

So .... why is it not called Hits and a pick, and Hits and two picks? (rather than hit and a pick or two hit and a pick)

Is this another example of what folks come up with when, too early in life, they leave the classroom to go to the poolroom?

And thanks for the information .... if I get the spot I want my pick(s) at the beginning of my inning .... though it would be fun to make a ball with hit and a pick, run 6 more and play safe .... and then pick one's game ball. Bet that could get one's fibers tightened out back, huh .....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
That's an excellent assessment of the value of 1 hit and the pick. I always felt, based off of how I fared playing that game that it was worth 10 to 7, but 8 to 6 is close as well.

Billy I.

I guess I was off a little bit, it's been a long time. I was thinking of the last guy I barely beat giving him 9-7 (John McCue) and how I felt that 1 hit & the pick would've been even better for me. Guess not.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I guess I was off a little bit, it's been a long time. I was thinking of the last guy I barely beat giving him 9-7 (John McCue) and how I felt that 1 hit & the pick would've been even better for me. Guess not.

Dennis

Way to go Freddy..Excellent brag, well disguised !!...Oh, I'm sorry, was that you Denise ? ...Its getting hard to tell your posts, from your 'rust belt homie's'...:sorry:....:rolleyes: ;) :p (is your part time job, on an Italian cruise ship ???) :D

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
An interesting thing happened the other night when I gave a guy the hit and the pick, he broke bad and made a ball in my hole. He wanted to take my ball as his pick but I said that it had to be a ball on the table which I believe is right.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
An interesting thing happened the other night when I gave a guy the hit and the pick, he broke bad and made a ball in my hole. He wanted to take my ball as his pick but I said that it had to be a ball on the table which I believe is right.

Is that what you agreed to before starting? You're evil Lenny and that's why I ducked you at California Billiards and Kolby's.:lol:lol:lol

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Look at it this way

Look at it this way

One hit and the pick. To start with, you are for sure giving up 8 to 7 and the break, right? So the question is, how much is the pick worth? A full ball, making it the same as 8 to 6 and the break? Or about another 1/2 ball making it 9 to 7 and the break? Or 10 to 7, break apiece? Believe me, it is one of those three depending on your opponent's skill, speed, ease of the the table, etc.

Beard

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
If you are not getting the desired results out of the hit n pick spot then you could negotiate a "NO-COUNT" game also ... 4 no-count , 5 no-count and the common 6-no count.

good luck

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
"Run outs" happen all the time in the "hit & pick" games where the "breaker" (guy being spotted) makes a ball on the break and runs balls up to a point where his "PICK" would put him out. "IF" you wish to give that spot to a "strong breaker"....you can add that "if" he makes a ball on the break he CAN NOT keep shooting. As far as the "block games" are concerned....we had a young guy some years ago that would give a certain street corner pharmacist "2 hit and the pick...BLOCK FOURS". The guy would break....pick 2...and the only way the kid could get out was with 2 runs of 4. Also "if" the kid had a ball in his jaws and the "pharmacist" made it for him IT SPOTTED and did not count for him. As far as to "why" it is called lets say "one hit and the pick" instead of "hit and pick one" (which is actually what happens)....All I can say is "Chicago-ease" (which is like Chinese...a different language). When I was in the US Army (a million years ago)....I could never figure out why it was called on my M-16 A1 rifle "lock and load"??? You actually "loaded and locked". Then again back in the early 70's my M-16 A1 rifle had plastic stocks around the barrel that said "Made by Mattel" (the TOY company). THAT bugged me more than the "lock and load" part. I guess I get easily upset. Good Luck to you DERBY-ITES

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Red Shoes

Red Shoes

Back in 1954 I was running the mike on a sizeable firing range at a Texas location, and 'lock and load' was a part of my standard spiel. I was advised that it had originated with the old M-1 Garand, with which one had first to draw the bolt and lock it in position and then load it. Maybe? If not that, maybe it really was a Chicago garble.

I can't go to the DCC either. Let's hope our traveling photographers return with some good stuff.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Even on the M16A1 you still must lock the bolt to rear, or pull the charging handle to load a round... I have always understood the term "lock and load" as locking the magazine, then loading a round...
as an example at the range you have a safe weapon until ordered by the range officer to lock and load one 7 round magazine...
and I too remember the handguards of the M16 saying mattel corp. stamped inside...yet the two pounds lighter, and lighter ammunition...than the M14 was appreciated by the infantry... even though the M14 reach's out and touch's people at 400 meters better than the lighter bullet and trajectory of the 5.56...
course what do I know...

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Way to go Freddy..Excellent brag, well disguised !!...Oh, I'm sorry, was that you Denise ? ...Its getting hard to tell your posts, from your 'rust belt homie's'. (is your part time job, on an Italian cruise ship ???) :D

Nothing to do this early eh Ducky? Maybe you should be practicing your picks for sundays games, you ain't too hot at it you know.

If I wanted to brag I would've posted what we were playing for and the number of people in the corporation formed to put him in the game against little old moi:eek:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Also "if" the kid had a ball in his jaws and the "pharmacist" made it for him IT SPOTTED and did not count for him.

I've seen this played both ways. Sometimes the incoming shooter would get the ball and attempt to continue his "block". If he failed they would all spot up.

The other way is the way you mention, any time a ball is pocketed in his pocket it spots up when the shooters inning is over.

Dennis