Having Fun With 'Race Track Phil'

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
We had a sociable partners one pocket game going on last night ( as we often do - a lot of the time it's easier to match up a partners game than a one on one game )...

Well, 'Race Track Phil' was on the other team, and knowing how Phil is primarily a 9ball player, and wants to shoot at his hole, our team had a lot of fun squeezing him, and never letting Phil shoot at his hole..:)..he was ranting to amused sweators, among them Billiards Digest's esteemed writer George Fels, that it had been 3 hours and he had literally only had 3 shots at his hole in all of that time - and 2 of those shots were banks, he had had only one straight in shot....it sure was a fun time...:D...

I think Phil was wishing he was at the track, instead of getting tortured by us...:D

- Ghost

Last edited:

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
never again !

never again !

ghost , your right ! I hate plating partners . I want the option to sell out anytime . its no fun for me unless I get to go for a crazy shot . but I could'nt throw my partners money down the toilet ! it was torture ! lucky we broke out even . oh well ! it was the only game in the poolroom . but your right I was thinking of the track ! race track phil

George Fels

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Actually, I brought Phil a measure of luck. Not long after his lament (as accurately recorded by The Ghost), a four-incher or thereabouts came up, and he DRILLED that sucker! GF

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Squeezing a trackman

Squeezing a trackman

Ok, once again, like Dennis, I'm resurrecting an old thread...went deep into the archives for this one (5 years old) had to dust it off a little...

It was just a little thread about a night at the poolroom, involving Racetrack Phil - we don't see him on here too much cuz he prefers the company of fine racehorses to us One Pocket players..:)...

- Ghost

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
How apropos

How apropos

Amazing that you resurrected this thread, because last night I went to a Cubs game with Race Track Phil, George Fels, Jimmy Mataya, Cole Dickson, and Larry Swartz. We all got together and sat in the rooftop seats on Sheffield ave, directly across the street from Wrigley Field. Even tho I am a White Sox fan and hate the Cubs, I had a great time nontheless. The rooftop seats are phenomenal. They are roomy, with couches and lounge chairs, and provide all you can drink and eat. It had a fabulous view with a cool breeze coming in from the Lake.

Mataya had bet $1200 on the "over" 8.5 runs and thousands more on the game itself. He bet on the Cubs and laid 2 1/2 to 1. The Cubs were losing 7 to 1 in the fourth inning, but the wind was blowing out ferociously. Mataya never gave up and the Cubs responded with 5 home runs and won going away 14 to 7.

Larry Swartz puts this clan meeting together at least once a year. We all had a great time. Thanks Larry.

Mataya will probably come back in a few weeks when the Detroit Tigers come to Sox park.

Beard

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
Hi

Hi

Freddy , First of all I got the e-mail ASTOUNDING !!

I had a great time also and got to know Cole Dickson a lot better and met his daughter and had a goodtime talking to him about life !! I was just hoping the camera guys didn't ever take a close up of our rooftop because I would hate to get spotted there by some Cub fans I know !!! I did have to root hard though for the Cubs for Jimmy and Jimmy as usual was cracking me up when we would go for our smoke in the smoking area because we didn't want to infect those rooftop Cub fans , well at least Jimmy didn't want too !

Larry deserves the credit getting us together .

George Fels who is usually very quiet even got into the flow and naturally Jimmy got him going .

I hope Artie B bet the Cubs and the over ?

Phil

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
Mataya had bet $1200 on the "over" 8.5 runs and thousands more on the game itself. He bet on the Cubs and laid 2 1/2 to 1. The Cubs were losing 7 to 1 in the fourth inning, but the wind was blowing out ferociously. Mataya never gave up and the Cubs responded with 5 home runs and won going away 14 to 7.
Fred, if this question is too personal, just ignore it. I'm curious-- does Mataya own a business or something? He still evidently likes his wagering, and a guy has to get his funding from somewhere.:cool:

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Walmart

Walmart

gulfportdoc said:
Fred, if this question is too personal, just ignore it. I'm curious-- does Mataya own a business or something? He still evidently likes his wagering, and a guy has to get his funding from somewhere.:cool:

Doc

He's a check out clerk at his local Walmart.

Beard