Half ball bank system

TomRoden

Verified Member
finally,a believer !!

finally,a believer !!

I'm a huge fan of the half ball bank. I learned it in 1971-72 in Providence . Hitting exactly 1/2 of the object ball is the easy part. This will sound crazy, but look at the object ball, notice the shadow it throws on the cloth. More times than most the shadow will be left or right. Sometimes the shadow is even. Whichever side the shadow is on, use that side spin on the cueball. Center shadow, center ball lDon't forget to compensate for the masse' effect. With a little practice you'll be splitting pockets. A note on one shot in particlar, head or foot rail one bank in the side. Its the same shot as a cross side from a side rail. Get it? The table is two squares. You need to shoot the shot much softer. Easy peasy. Go practice, thank me later.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'm a huge fan of the half ball bank. I learned it in 1971-72 in Providence . Hitting exactly 1/2 of the object ball is the easy part. This will sound crazy, but look at the object ball, notice the shadow it throws on the cloth. More times than most the shadow will be left or right. Sometimes the shadow is even. Whichever side the shadow is on, use that side spin on the cueball. Center shadow, center ball lDon't forget to compensate for the masse' effect. With a little practice you'll be splitting pockets. A note on one shot in particlar, head or foot rail one bank in the side. Its the same shot as a cross side from a side rail. Get it? The table is two squares. You need to shoot the shot much softer. Easy peasy. Go practice, thank me later.

Can't wait to try it Monday, I already use three things, when they all come together, I feel pretty confident.
If I can add this it'll be even better.
Thanx
Rod.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Feel

Feel

I grew up 25 miles out in the burbs of Chicago, and even that far from downtown, out in the white suburbs....we played banks. I never did have a system, but having played allot of rotation, my up and downs and cross banks are all feel, pool is all about watching the shot results and developing your muscle memory and getting em both in sync.this allows you more quickly to adjust to what's at hand is ''what it's all about'' from my perspective. Your actually banking two balls making the first ball scratch :eek: and the second ball to not too, and also where the *uck's it going????? :p

PS....I watched that Sparks bank some balls @ Bogies, he sure hits thru em sometimes sweeeeeeeeeeet. :)

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I grew up 25 miles out in the burbs of Chicago, and even that far from downtown, out in the white suburbs....we played banks. I never did have a system, but having played allot of rotation, my up and downs and cross banks are all feel, pool is all about watching the shot results and developing your muscle memory and getting em both in sync.this allows you more quickly to adjust to what's at hand is ''what it's all about'' from my perspective. Your actually banking two balls making the first ball scratch :eek: and the second ball to not too, and also where the *uck's it going????? :p

PS....I watched that Sparks bank some balls @ Bogies, he sure hits thru em sometimes sweeeeeeeeeeet. :)

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago as well and we played a lot of one pocket and banks. The advice I always got was keep hitting 'em until you make them and you will remember the feeling!! Where did you grow up in the burbs?

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I grew up in 60451 but made it to Red Shoes a lot growing up. I also use to frequent the Green Room in Downers Grove and played some 3 cushion with Adrian a little.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I grew up in 60451 but made it to Red Shoes a lot growing up. I also use to frequent the Green Room in Downers Grove and played some 3 cushion with Adrian a little.

Adrian Viguera is a VERY good 3 cushion player!

He is NOW the BEST player in Chicago, IMHO!

We talk about once a month at Chris's.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I grew up on the South side of Louisville, and you played nine ball, eight ball, one pocket, until you were broke or your pockets were full. System, Dead Stroke means having your physical and mental in sync. :cool::eek::cool:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Rod, three weeks ago you set out to try the half-ball banking system. So, how did it go?

Does it assume an eight-foot fluorescent fixture over the table? Comments from all players who are familiar with the system will be appreciated - either endorsements or rejections. :rolleyes:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod, three weeks ago you set out to try the half-ball banking system. So, how did it go?

Does it assume an eight-foot fluorescent fixture over the table? Comments from all players who are familiar with the system will be appreciated - either endorsements or rejections. :rolleyes:

Bill, most of my banks are with a 1/2 ball hit, then I add English, depending how many diamonds I'm away from the pocket. I didn't quite understand about the size of the shadow, so I wasn't sure about how much English to add. Some locations on long rail banks seem to have no discernable shadow, although we still know which side to hit. I would have to be shown by someone familiar with the system to master it.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I too grew up in the 60's about 25 miles outside of Chicago, playing at Stardust Bowl in Hammond, Ind. We played pushout nineball, banks, one pocket, and some snooker and 3c billiards. Some of the very best players from Chicago would play here all night, I watched them all.

For me, this is humerous, you can relate many conditions to how you play a specific table (i.e. humidity, cloth, rails, temperature, etc.), but you can't relate where the light comes from to decide which side of the CB to hit and how much English to apply.:lol:lol:sorry

Whatta ya gonna do if you play one day, have a rematch the next day, but your opponent had the light moved.:confused: Some tables have a single light, some have a strip light aligned lengthwise over the table, some have several lights over the table, and some have a large rectangle of lights over the table like diamonds. All cast different shadows.

Is this a hoax?

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I too grew up in the 60's about 25 miles outside of Chicago, playing at Stardust Bowl in Hammond, Ind. We played pushout nineball, banks, one pocket, and some snooker and 3c billiards. Some of the very best players from Chicago would play here all night, I watched them all.

For me, this is humerous, you can relate many conditions to how you play a specific table (i.e. humidity, cloth, rails, temperature, etc.), but you can't relate where the light comes from to decide which side of the CB to hit and how much English to apply.:lol:lol:sorry

Whatta ya gonna do if you play one day, have a rematch the next day, but your opponent had the light moved.:confused: Some tables have a single light, some have a strip light aligned lengthwise over the table, some have several lights over the table, and some have a large rectangle of lights over the table like diamonds. All cast different shadows.

Is this a hoax?

As for banking by the lights, whatever reflection is there will always be the same. It doesn't matter what kind of lights, a few practice shots and you're close to your target.

Not a hoax !

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
As for banking by the lights, whatever reflection is there will always be the same. It doesn't matter what kind of lights, a few practice shots and you're close to your target.

Not a hoax !

I remember as a kid at Janscos. In the two pitted tables in the Showbar area, they had 8 floods surrounded by a black canopy that was framed and above each table. The bank guys talked about how nice it was to have those 8 bulb light' patterns on each obj. ball.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I remember as a kid at Janscos. In the two pitted tables in the Showbar area, they had 8 floods surrounded by a black canopy that was framed and above each table. The bank guys talked about how nice it was to have those 8 bulb light' patterns on each obj. ball.

I've always found it easier to shoot at an image on the OB than try to make the OB hit a spot on the rail.

youngstown

Verified Member
Half ball bank system

Not a hoax !

I know someone who uses the light reflections on the balls. He told me he could turn the lights off and as long as there is a tv in the room somewhere he can use that reflection. Unfortunately he never gave me more specifics and I would really love to learn more because this kind of stuff fascinates me but that's all I know

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I know someone who uses the light reflections on the balls. He told me he could turn the lights off and as long as there is a tv in the room somewhere he can use that reflection. Unfortunately he never gave me more specifics and I would really love to learn more because this kind of stuff fascinates me but that's all I know

There will usually be more than one reflection on both CB and OB. Pick one on the CB and aim it at one on the OB and adjust from there.

youngstown

Verified Member
Half ball bank system

There will usually be more than one reflection on both CB and OB. Pick one on the CB and aim it at one on the OB and adjust from there.

So it's not a banking system so much as using your current system and then using the reflected lights as reference points when aiming...as opposed to picking the edge of a number or stripe, etc...do I understand this correctly?