Golf?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Maybe we can use this as a starting point for golf rules..

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Is that your google doc cincy?
If so, we could paste it into an opening post to create a Golf rules thread sticky

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
It is mine, yes.

Here is a direct link to the google doc:

Golf Rules

Or I have also attached a PDF version in case that's better/more universal for others to view.

Would love to hear Hendy and any other golf player's input so we can have a good standardized rule set whenever we get to play again lol.

Attachments

• Golf Rules.pdf
    113.1 KB · Views: 6

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

Been hearin' of the Golf y'all play. The rules are a help but being a visual learner
I'm going to need to find some videos and actually see what they are doin' and
with the rules I can start to unravel the puzzle. Chuckle, last time I remember folks
yackin' about "Hickys" or is that "Hickies" was in High school/

hank

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
We used to play some Golf. Over 25 years ago, on a 9' Olhousen. I was the inexperienced one and usually the sell-out.

One question I have is:
If fouling while pocketing someone's #6 ball. Do you owe for that foul/hickey or is it simply game-over pay what's already marked?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
This has enlightened me, for I never knew Golf was played with red balls. Another thing in straight Golf without red balls and multiple players, when you are on the 5th hole, I never knew it spotted on the head spot, we always just spotted it on the foot spot.

Nice Rules and layout, are these your personal rules that you made up? thanks, Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This has enlightened me, for I never knew Golf was played with red balls. Another thing in straight Golf without red balls and multiple players, when you are on the 5th hole, I never knew it spotted on the head spot, we always just spotted it on the foot spot.

Nice Rules and layout, are these your personal rules that you made up? thanks, Whitey
I've never played, nor have I seen it played, with the use of red balls. The only time I ever saw a red ball used was when we'd have 7 players, in which case the 7th player would use a red ball for his ball. We even had 8 players occasionally, but I don't remember what we used for an 8th ball. It may have been a special ball.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Doc,
It has been 48 years since I played Golf, but I'd like to see if you agree and memory serves me well, but I do not recall that you have to make a legal hit on any shot.
Meaning; if I am shooting directly at my ball I only need to contact it, and do not have to get a rail. Correct?
There are no push outs, period, correct? You always play to hit your ball! What is the ruling for not hitting your ball? I never heard of 'Relief'.

Money; is this how it goes; you pay the winner by hole and hickies, so much for a hole and so much for a hickie. If I am on the 3rd hole then I owe for 4 holes plus any hickies, correct? @ a dollar/hole & 10 cents/hickie = 4 dollars and 40 cents.

American Snooker; when frozen to your ob you can stroke through it. European Snooker you can not and must shoot away. thanks, Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc,
It has been 48 years since I played Golf, but I'd like to see if you agree and memory serves me well, but I do not recall that you have to make a legal hit on any shot.
Meaning; if I am shooting directly at my ball I only need to contact it, and do not have to get a rail. Correct?
There are no push outs, period, correct? You always play to hit your ball! What is the ruling for not hitting your ball? I never heard of 'Relief'.

Money; is this how it goes; you pay the winner by hole and hickies, so much for a hole and so much for a hickie. If I am on the 3rd hole then I owe for 4 holes plus any hickies, correct? @ a dollar/hole & 10 cents/hickie = 4 dollars and 40 cents.

American Snooker; when frozen to your ob you can stroke through it. European Snooker you can not and must shoot away. thanks, Whitey
Yes, Whitey, most of what you said is correct. There are wide variations in foul rules, from spotting your ball, hickies, lifting intervening balls, etc. I haven't played it in years, but it's very addicting, and sometimes guys will stay on a snooker table playing golf all day-- or night...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
These are the rules when I played as I remember them. Using reds makes for longer game and more hickeys and optional.

We played per game and hickeys not per hole whitey but that is an interesting aspect.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
These are the rules when I played as I remember them. Using reds makes for longer game and more hickeys and optional.

We played per game and hickeys not per hole whitey but that is an interesting aspect.
Perhaps, in different locals across the country the game was played differently. Hell I do not know, it has been 50 yrs. for me, just going on memory. Of course where I played was Lakewood Family Bowl, Lkwd, Ca. & the Palace, Bellflower,ca.

Cincy, if you are trying to develop Golf rules, I would then think John H. and Baby Huey might be of help.

A lot of Golf was generally played by old retired guys on social security, and that is why they played by hole & hickey. Whitey

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Actually the old BCA rules from their long published "Official Rules and Records" books were pretty close to the standard rules in most areas. But as I say, there are lots of local variations.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Actually the old BCA rules from their long published "Official Rules and Records" books were pretty close to the standard rules in most areas. But as I say, there are lots of local variations.
My '68 BCA rule book, only has a game rule for Golf on a pocket billiard table, but no Golf game rule on a snooker table. But, my 2003 BCA rule book has regular Golf rules in it. There is no mention of using the Reds, and as you stated the rules are otherwise similar. Whitey

LuckyLeon

Verified Member
From
cabool,mo.
I played quite a bit of golf in the late '60s and early '70s around Lawrence,Ks. and as far as rules went ,each town had variations. For instance , some places played off the 6 ball spot,while others played off the 7 ball spot, and others off the 5 spot. Several other variations but I remember one older player summing it up pretty well when he said,when someone once complained about the rules, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" LOL!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
In Colorado Springs at the Bowl More Bowling alley in the 60's and on, there was a Golf game at the Bowl Mor Bowling lanes. It went on Every day for at least 40 yrs. There was one non player, but a Great golf player only, that could kick balls better than Any player I've even seen. He was drywall guy. He averaged 60-80$ a day for at least 30 yrs straight.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
In Colorado Springs at the Bowl More Bowling alley in the 60's and on, there was a Golf game at the Bowl Mor Bowling lanes. It went on Every day for at least 40 yrs. There was one non player, but a Great golf player only, that could kick balls better than Any player I've even seen. He was drywall guy. He averaged 60-80$ a day for at least 30 yrs straight.

I remember playing in that game and JR. Harris jumped in and one of the guys deliberately sold out so JR. could not win it. He apologized to me after the game and told me he would rather get stuck double than see JR win a game. That was the only ring game I played in there.

Same trip I saw you at Pinks. 20/30 bar tables covered with pink cloth and two 4 1/2 x 9 Brunswick’s. I remember they had a model railroad track on the ceiling with the coyote chasing the roadrunner. Whenever the coyote caught him, it would light up, there would be a buzzer and they had a drink special.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
It is mine, yes.

Here is a direct link to the google doc:

Golf Rules

Or I have also attached a PDF version in case that's better/more universal for others to view.

Would love to hear Hendy and any other golf player's input so we can have a good standardized rule set whenever we get to play again lol.

I have played it all over the country and once in Canada. The basic rules are twisted so much there are no basic rules and they can change from room to room in the same town. Only a few are so important I would not gamble without them. Your object ball has to come off the table on a foul and be spotted when it is your turn again, you have to hit a rail before or after contact with your object ball and you have to shoot at your ball if you have a full ball. I have also played where you had to shoot at it if you could see any part of the ball. The best gambling rules were at The Billiard Palace and later on at Hard Times in Bellflower. They played a bad hit or making another players ball cost you the price of the game. The worst and most complicated rules I ever saw was Gypsy Golf played at the House of Billiards at 6th and Western in Los Angeles. They gambled high and a few outsiders tried them, but I don’t think anyone ever beat them.

Back in the day many rooms took their golf pretty seriously. I was playing at a room in Santa Monica in the 70’s when you could shoot away (Safe) if you could not see both sides of the object ball. This raised arguments if you had a full ball or not. When that happened, the house man would bring over a gun sight mounted on a 2 x 4, take a look at it and make the call. You did not argue with his call.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I've never played, nor have I seen it played, with the use of red balls. The only time I ever saw a red ball used was when we'd have 7 players, in which case the 7th player would use a red ball for his ball. We even had 8 players occasionally, but I don't remember what we used for an 8th ball. It may have been a special ball.

They play that way in Canada Doc. Two or three red balls to get in the way and play safe behind. They need to slow it down up there. The tables are soft and those guys shoot way too straight.