Ghost vs. Tony 8 wwyd

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Well if you can't hit the left side of the 9..... Ok then, I'd Jack-up vertical and smack the 10 hard with about a 1/2 ball full hit and hold the CB below the 7/9/ side pocket. The 10 will clear up table if I miss the bank and the CB should end up ok. Don't like thinning the 10, or pushing it up table and staying below the 7, don't like the kick two railer on the 9, or the one rail bank on the 9, it's looks kissy. Can't see anything else that looks comfortable, including thinning the 10 and coming back down table, that is a tough hit to avoid the scratch in the upper left corner pocket. All around uncomfortable spot, I'm curious what the pros would do? Interesting WWYD Ghost!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Tony 8 wwyd

Tony's pocket is bottom left and Ghost says he can't hit the left side of the 9. I can't figure out what I could be missing. Did you miss that the left side of the 9 was unavailable?

I think he means to go long rail first; hitting just before the side pocket.. And kicking the 9 for the 2 railer.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Paul and I in Tampa like

Paul and I in Tampa like

Hit the ten too the middle of the head rail and bump the seven....then let my opponent do the heavy lifting. :D

jtompilot

Verified Member
Tony's pocket is bottom left and Ghost says he can't hit the left side of the 9. I can't figure out what I could be missing. Did you miss that the left side of the 9 was unavailable?
I was just pointing out that he was shooting at the correct pocket. If you've ever played Rod you would know he has some super special stuff up his sleeve

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, mostly we've got about a split vote here between shooting the 10 down to the head rail and bumping the 7, or cutting the 10 into the 7 and 9...

As for my choice here...I also would shoot one of those two shots, but I can't decide between them - maybe I'd flip a coin before I shot...:)

- Goast

PS, We're still waiting on a few more opinions on these 2 wwyd's - i.e. Billy, Tom, onedog, Jerry, Steve, and Cory come to mind...

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Well, mostly we've got about a split vote here between shooting the 19 down to the head rail and bumping the 7, and cutting the 10 into the 7 and 9...

As for my choice here...I also would shoot one of those two shots, but I can't decide between them - maybe I'd flip a coin before I shot...:)

- Goast

PS, We're still waiting on a few more opinions on these 2 wwyd's - i.e. Billy, Tom, onedog, Jerry, Steve, and Cory come to mind...
Exactly, well said Ghost. When I get into a situation like this, I follow what Freddy always said, "look for a shot that won't outright lose the game", and with no shot here that can win me the game, I'm extra cautious. I don't want to leave ANY kind of bank, and I want to put whitey in a place that you cannot easily put me back where I was.

The thin clip on the 10 is far too risky for me, it could outright lose the game for very little gain. My long term goal in this game would be to slow down and play old school 1P and try and push all those balls up to the top right corner, then try and sink 1 ball leaving you jacked up on the other balls, or behind one. That means I need to stay under the balls and leave you such that you have to move them up as well.

beatle

Verified Member
you can bank the nine and then maybe bank the 10 ball and be out. not easy of course and some risk, but doable. but i dont see any sellout here. just maybe leaving a long shot that probably wont be shot at.

tony is getting spotted so probably cant move as well so him not turning it into a ball by ball up table game is better for his chances.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Well, mostly we've got about a split vote here between shooting the 10 down to the head rail and bumping the 7, or cutting the 10 into the 7 and 9...

- Goast

I think I can execute the 10 uptable with the cue tapping the 7 only a bit, so that's my choice. One plus is that it should leave the 10 where it banks for Tony but not for you (until you move the 7).

Hardmix

Verified Member
Tough spot here. I am with Jeff, jack it up and give the 10 a go making sure the CB stays below the 7.

Hardmix

wincardona

Verified Member
I haven't taken this layout to the table but the bank on the 9ball looks close to a kiss to me, could be wrong but if it is close i'm passing on the option. Between the two safes I like cutting the 10ball into the 7ball and tying up the 7 and 9ball. Playing the 10ball to the top rail is a viable option but it's possible to lose the game if that shot is hit poorly. I like playing off the 10ball.

Dr. Bill

unoperro

Verified Member
Dont any of you guys play golf?

The 2 rail kick into the back of the 9 is SCREAMING "pick me.me.me.me.":p

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Well, My first thought was to kick bank the nine ball and send the cue ball to the head rail. This leaves a shot on the ten but no shot on the seven, as long as my speed control is good and I keep the cue ball close to the rail.

So, I just took the shot to my table and played the kick bank. I used just a touch of right hand english to spread the nine toward my side of the table and help the cue ball to cross to my side of the table. Well, this first attempt told me all I needed to know. The cue ball ran beautifully to the first diamond on the head rail and within two inches of freezing. The nine ball hung in my pocket. The shot was simple, and obviously, effective without any risk at all.

Why no risk? Because the angle on the ten was so severe that I can't imagine anyone wishing to attempt that cut shot with a ball in my striking zone because there is no way to play the shot safely.

All the other shots are purely defensive in nature yet they all have a reasonably high risk factor. I hate shots like that more than waking up from a drunken night out, in a strange bed, next to a triple bagger.

Tom

unoperro

Verified Member
Well, My first thought was to kick bank the nine ball and send the cue ball to the head rail. This leaves a shot on the ten but no shot on the seven, as long as my speed control is good and I keep the cue ball close to the rail.

So, I just took the shot to my table and played the kick bank. I used just a touch of right hand english to spread the nine toward my side of the table and help the cue ball to cross to my side of the table. Well, this first attempt told me all I needed to know. The cue ball ran beautifully to the first diamond on the head rail and within two inches of freezing. The nine ball hung in my pocket. The shot was simple, and obviously, effective without any risk at all.

Why no risk? Because the angle on the ten was so severe that I can't imagine anyone wishing to attempt that cut shot with a ball in my striking zone because there is no way to play the shot safely.

All the other shots are purely defensive in nature yet they all have a reasonably high risk factor. I hate shots like that more than waking up from a drunken night out, in a strange bed, next to a triple bagger.

Tom
Honestly this was my first thought but, I though as Solid the hit on the 9 would be, whitey wasn't moving far. A 9 left above the pocket, probably leaves a better bank then the one I just took. I hate that!

lll

Verified Member
i want to bump this thread
since i definitely need practice on kick banking the 9 ball 2 rails
and want to know what was shot and what realy is the best shot from here for an accomplished player
p.s.
GREAT WWYD GHOST......:)
these less sexy defensive "move" wwyd i think as ghost said REALLY HELP YOU WIN GAMES
jmho

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
It's difficult for all of us to execute well when we're shooting dead-frozen off the rail and able to only cue the top 1/3rd of the cueball...and even more so for Tony, he being an average playing, super-senior...that said...

He chose the "shooting the 10 down to the head rail and bumping the 7" option that several posters also picked...but he hit the 10 a little too much on the right side, almost scratched in the side pocket/hit the far point of the side pocket...and left me here, with two bank shots to choose from ------>

Attachments