Ghost vs. Tony 6 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Would you have risked one of the offensive shots ( the 1 or the 12 ) along with the 6 ball take out, or shot some version of Tony's shot? I know it's just pure speculation but I'm curious how you would have sized up the shot had it been your turn instead of Tony's.

And, if you don't mind, what did you do from where Tony left you here?

Thanks

Jeff...If I was playing somebody where I felt I had the best of it, and who I could for sure out-move - then definitely I would have also played a conservative shot off of the 6ball.....but on the other hand, if I was playing somebody like Efren or Scott, I might very well choose to shoot the 1ball here...and if I did do that, what I believe in, and would do - is concentrate fully on making the 1ball and forget about the 6ball - I believe that when you try and do two things at once (unless you have a 100% natural angle to do the second thing, so that you don't have to divide your focus), you will lose a little of your all-important ball-pocketing probability.

- Ghost

1pwannabe

Verified Member
My guess is that he did just what you were worried about: off the 8 behind the 14.
The 8 behind the 14 shot isn't the shot here in my opinion, if you don't get perfectly behind the 14 he's gonna blast out those balls along your rail (and you need them). Get whitey back up to the head rail towards the right side, that's where the pressure will remain on him.

LSJohn

Verified Member
The 8 behind the 14 shot isn't the shot here in my opinion, if you don't get perfectly behind the 14 he's gonna blast out those balls along your rail (and you need them). Get whitey back up to the head rail towards the right side, that's where the pressure will remain on him.
If I were to leave CB between his pocket and the 14, where do you see him leaving the CB on that "blast"? I don't see any really good place for him unless he attempts the same move I just shot, and if he does that, looks like I can probably remove 11 and 4 from his side while now going uptable.

Anyway, you usually know, so I'm just brainstormin'.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Would you have risked one of the offensive shots ( the 1 or the 12 ) along with the 6 ball take out, or shot some version of Tony's shot? I know it's just pure speculation but I'm curious how you would have sized up the shot had it been your turn instead of Tony's.

And, if you don't mind, what did you do from where Tony left you here?

Thanks
Jeff, I'll wait til tonight before answering you, in case anyone wants to keep going here as a continuing wyyd...

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I looked at getting the CB up table, but it didn't appear to be very easy to get it up there. Thinning the 6 or the 7 ball might work, but then you're moving a key ball in the wrong direction. ????? Dunno ????? How would you do it?

If CB is put up table on the right side, from the corner pocket over to the second diamond on that long rail, it looks like he could drop the CB under the 2 ball off the 9/10/13/11 combo and move that 11 pretty close to his pocket. I don't believe the 13 will move the 2 that far so it could also end up being a blocker.

I believe I'd either draw off the 8 to the side rail and behind the 14 or draw off the 11 behind the 14, ( angle permitting ) sending the 11 two rails to my side of the table. Either of those two shots if executed decent should work out well. I would play 100% CB off the 8 or the 11 ball, as long as it's close to the foot rail and somewhere near the 14, he's gonna have trouble putting you under that 2 ball. JMO

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
He should've shot the 1 in and kept going. ;)

Now, I'm going to stun into the 8, banking it to my side, and use the 4 to direct the cb somewhere frozen onto the 11 or maybe snugged in with the 11/13 (depends on speed and how it lays). He may get a bank at the 4 but he's going to be jacked up with a whole lot of trouble to contend with on my side. He has precious few options for a safety (one might be a two rail kick at the 2, but he'll be shooting over a ball to pull it off). Plus, he's lost the value 4 & 8 had for him.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member

Now, I'm going to stun into the 8, banking it to my side, and use the 4 to direct the cb somewhere frozen onto the 11 or maybe snugged in with the 11/13 (depends on speed and how it lays). He may get a bank at the 4 but he's going to be jacked up with a whole lot of trouble to contend with on my side. He has precious few options for a safety (one might be a two rail kick at the 2, but he'll be shooting over a ball to pull it off). Plus, he's lost the value 4 & 8 had for him.
Hey Skin,
I think you got something there. If you can freeze to the 11, or even get where it blocks visibility on the 2 ball while moving the 8 across, Yeah, I like it better than anything so far.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Tony 6 wwyd

You're missing out Skin. Instead, let's 2 rail the 4 with left. The eight ball naturally banks back to our hole while bringing the cue uptable on his side :)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
You're missing out Skin. Instead, let's 2 rail the 4 with left. The eight ball naturally banks back to our hole while bringing the cue uptable on his side :)
Nice shot also Mkbtank, might work to perfection if the 8 was a smidgen higher or the 4 was a tad lower.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Tony 6 wwyd

Nice shot also Mkbtank, might work to perfection if the 8 was a smidgen higher or the 4 was a tad lower.

It looks like you're right Jeff. Upon further review there is a bit more space between those balls than. I initially thought. Dammit lol.

1pwannabe

Verified Member

This, in my opinion, is an excellent shot here. It lies perfect and the 8 ball should come under the stopped cueball.

The only other shot I might consider is shooting the 8 with follow-left and letting the 8 go up table while whitey comes back to the middle of the table behind most of the balls making it harder to remove much.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Same principle and this looks good also. If it lies right then I would expect Ghosty shot it.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
It looks like you're right Jeff. Upon further review there is a bit more space between those balls than. I initially thought. Dammit lol.
It could still work out very good Mitch, it looks like the 8 could two rail outta his corner and the CB looks like it can be controlled to near the side pocket, plus the 4 coming around could move something to a better position.... Dunno, but I like your thinking.

wincardona

Verified Member
I think you can bank the 1ball back toward the 5ball and draw the cue ball to the side rail and then toward the stack. Looks to be laying a little tough but something I would try, fairly large target especially if hit on the softer side.

Dr. Bill

beatle

Verified Member
Tony dogged the shot. He needed to hit it harder and into the seven ball and clear out your balls.

But now the return shot is to send those two balls on the rail around the table to your side. Roll forward and his only shot is off the seven which next shot will give you a bank. Thinking 3 shots ahead.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I shot the 8ball almost straight ahead - following forward with 10:00 inside english to spin off the long rail a little higher....my goal here was to protect my position, and make it difficult for Tony to come up with a productive return shot = getting high enough on the long rail to where he couldn't see the middle or the left side of the 2ball, and where he wouldn't have a good angle on any of the loose balls to get the cueball back in front of my pocket...I left the cueball an inch or two below the side pocket and just off the rail, just barely high enough up the rail for the 4ball to cover the left side of the 2.

- Ghost

Last edited: