Ghost vs. Tony 5 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
My shot --- the ball score is 4-3, I'm ahead --- Tony going to 7, Ghost going to 9 --- my pocket is at the top right --- wwyd?

PS, Since I spot Tony 10-7 11-7...the shot that I chose to shoot here, is a shot that I might not have chosen if I were playing a good player.

Attachments

Last edited:

treeMan

Verified Member
Bank the 9 with inside and spin 2/3 rails to get shape or snooker behind the 6.

If reaching the 9 is hard and/or it seems like the cue ball may run into the 5, then I'd bank the 6. Removing it from where it is has value and if I felt good about the soft draw required to hold the cue ball to the end rail I may shoot that.

Last one is going off the thirteen one rail to snuggle behind the 15, throwing the 10 a bit to the right and leaving it near your hole.

hmm. I like them all :confused:

tree

LSJohn

Verified Member
Last view ----->
I'd have to be there, but I think I'd bank the 9 pocket speed with a tip of 10 0'clock.

edit: Oh, yeah, draw is probably better... or maybe just slightly below center stun.

edit again: Crap, can't reach it.

Bank the 6 w/6 O'clock.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
The obvious safety is to take out the 12 and 1 balls by shooting away the 12 with right spin.

For an aggressive shot, I like what others have mentioned: banking the 9 straight back. It looks as though you'd have to draw the CB into the 3 in order to get a shot on it next, and to prevent the CB from coming too far out from the side rail. If the bank misses, the two frozen balls would block the opponent's 12 ball.

On the other hand, the bridge would have to be used, which makes the shot somewhat more difficult.

Otherwise Frank's bank on the 6, or the two-railer on the 5 might be good choices.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I probably take the 15 (or 12 whatever it is) out by hitting a little less than half of the 1 ball to knock it on my side and carom off into the 15.

But if I could play more loose, I may even kick at the 15 right near the titty with right hand spin bringing the CB back up towards the 6.

The 9 ball bank is not a bad option either but I am afraid of my opponent shooting the 5 at his hole especially with the 15 as a side board.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
You don't shoot for your hole in this position, you take out the two balls he has since he can keep gaining the initiative by using them. Plus, your ahead 1 ball and a favorite to win against this guy, keeping the balls up table where he stands less of a chance to do much is the strategy. I think the expression is "never give a sucker a shot, he'll take it every time and he might make it."

t-dog

Verified Member
You don't shoot for your hole in this position, you take out the two balls he has since he can keep gaining the initiative by using them. Plus, your ahead 1 ball and a favorite to win against this guy, keeping the balls up table where he stands less of a chance to do much is the strategy. I think the expression is "never give a sucker a shot, he'll take it every time and he might make it."
If you shoot the take out on TWO balls, how would you go about that. and after that is done, wont you be selling out the 6...giving the sucker a shot? :)

androd

Verified Member
If you shoot the take out on TWO balls, how would you go about that. and after that is done, wont you be selling out the 6...giving the sucker a shot? :)
You shouldn't be so rude. :eek: Just because he gets spotted, we all get spotted sometime. I know I'm a sucker and that doesn't bother me, but Tony maybe be a member or lurking and not have thick skin like myself.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Like most people on here also liked, I banked the 9 straight back.....but I didn't elect to draw my cueball - because...

It's tougher to perfectly control your pocket speed with that draw stroke, and it's tougher to get optimum position on the 3ball with that stroke.....conversely, with the pocket-speed-follow stroke that I shot it with - it's easy to hit the bank with exact pocket-speed - and it's automatic to get excellent position on the 3, along with a good angle to get on the 5ball or 6ball for your next shot.

I missed the bank by a hair :mad: here's how it came out ----->

Attachments

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Some may have been reluctant to choose that shot because the bridge had to be used-- unless you live in New Orleans, where they allow the shooter to get up on all 4's on the table. It's hard to even FIND a bridge over there...:D

~Doc