Ghost vs. Tony 5 wwyd

LSJohn

Verified Member
The combo on the 9-5 seems slightly off from the other photos posted, but that is a good shot if it lays right.
I didn't see it initially, but I really like this... playing all CB to the bottom rail near the 13 puts you in a good position to win no matter where the 5 ends up.

wincardona

Verified Member
After studying the table for a while now, I like this best also. Focusing on getting the 3 as close as possible is key here I think. Banking the 10 just leaves ghost too close to his work and could end up being costly. The combo on the 9-5 seems slightly off from the other photos posted, but that is a good shot if it lays right.
You seem to have a good feel for the game, I respect your analysis on many of your shot selections and once again I agree with every thing you say here. There is another shot that could be available that hasn't been discussed, which i'll explain what it is next. In regard to the shots that have been brought up I like cutting the 3ball and playing the 9-5ball combination. Those are the two shots that I like best of all the shots available, however, they both have their problems. The 3ball has the problem of controlling the cue ball, this shot looks to be laying too thin to pocket the 3ball and play a good cue ball so with that understanding one would be better served to play a good cue ball and just advance the 3ball close to the pocket. Even then there is a suspect cue ball imo. Switching to the 9- 5ball combination, it's imperative that you get positive movement from the 5ball because it looks like the 13ball may be bankable into your opponents pocket , something you can't afford to have happen. If I felt that I could get good movement with the 5ball off the 9ball that would be my first choice, if not I would take another look at the 3ball from two different perspectives. Like I mentioned earlier there is another shot that I would consider if the angle is available and that would be to ..very softly roll the cue ball onto the 3ball attempting to leave the 3ball and cue ball close to one another straight in toward my pocket. If I can attain this position i'll have a hand up on the next good move.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
Let your stroke out a little.

Must be careful of not leaving the 14-11ball combination, it's available, especially from your ending position with the cue ball. Otherwise it's a good thought.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Bill, I don't like the nine-five combo for a couple reasons. Of course photographic images can be deceiving but it looks very thin to me and would be easy to leave the cue ball on the foot rail where either the nine or five may be left in a position to be banked bank toward the other guys hole. I hate leaving the cue ball exposed at the business end of the table unless I have a high percentage shot working for me.

The cut on the five also looks thin and risky to me. You are correct about playing the three to make it while also controlling the speed of the cue ball. Therefore, the shot is primarily to control the white ball. This forces your opponent to come down table where bad things can happen very easily. The shot is all about setting a semi-trap.

Tom

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Must be careful of not leaving the 14-11ball combination, it's available, especially from your ending position with the cue ball. Otherwise it's a good thought.

Dr. Bill
Exactly this, I wanted to shoot the 3 this way at first glance also, but that combo looks free for ghost if the 3 ends up bad. If he even hangs the combo, that's bad news.

wincardona

Verified Member
Bill, I don't like the nine-five combo for a couple reasons. Of course photographic images can be deceiving but it looks very thin to me and would be easy to leave the cue ball on the foot rail where either the nine or five may be left in a position to be banked bank toward the other guys hole. I hate leaving the cue ball exposed at the business end of the table unless I have a high percentage shot working for me.

The cut on the five also looks thin and risky to me. You are correct about playing the three to make it while also controlling the speed of the cue ball. Therefore, the shot is primarily to control the white ball. This forces your opponent to come down table where bad things can happen very easily. The shot is all about setting a semi-trap.

Tom
I understand the consequences with shooting the 9-5ball combo, however, if like I said if you can get positive movement with the 5ball that will take care of most of the nonsense that could follow. Plus it's possible to pocket the 5ball.:heh

Dr. Bill

1pwannabe

Verified Member
You seem to have a good feel for the game, I respect your analysis on many of your shot selections and once again I agree with every thing you say here. There is another shot that could be available that hasn't been discussed, which i'll explain what it is next. In regard to the shots that have been brought up I like cutting the 3ball and playing the 9-5ball combination. Those are the two shots that I like best of all the shots available, however, they both have their problems. The 3ball has the problem of controlling the cue ball, this shot looks to be laying too thin to pocket the 3ball and play a good cue ball so with that understanding one would be better served to play a good cue ball and just advance the 3ball close to the pocket. Even then there is a suspect cue ball imo. Switching to the 5- 9ball combination it's imperative that you get positive movement from the 5ball because it looks like the 13ball may be bankable into your opponents pocket , something you can't afford to have happen. If I felt that I could get good movement with the 5ball off the 9ball that would be my first choice, if not I would take another look at the 3ball from two different perspectives. Like I mentioned earlier there is another shot that I would consider if the angle is available and that would be to ..very softly roll the cue ball onto the 3ball attempting to leave the 3ball and cue ball close to one another straight in toward my pocket. If I can attain this position i'll have a hand up on the next good move.

Dr. Bill
I didn't even think about rolling onto the 3 here, that is simple and pretty easy, and could be very strong. Trying to block any cut on the 10 would be my goal if I did try this shot.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I understand the consequences with shooting the 9-5ball combo, however, if like I said if you can get positive movement with the 5ball that will take care of most of the nonsense that could follow. Plus it's possible to pocket the 5ball.:heh

Dr. Bill
One of the photos shows the combo cut to be a little suspect, but then the other photos seem to be more agreeable to it. Maybe it's something you can only determine at the table.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
Maybe, but for my money I'm cutting the three like I said and leaving the flyers to the other guy. :D

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member

Tom
Tom, when advancing the 3ball toward your pocket you need to be cognizant
of the 15ball where it's positioned. The 15ball is a huge ball as an ally for your opponent, he can piggy back off the 15ball and possibly drop behind the moved 3ball or possibly drop behind other balls that would be convenient for him to do. So with that understanding it's even more crucial for you to play a good cue ball if you opt to choose the 3ball as your option. I still like trying to lock my opponent up behind the 3ball and jockey for the better position from there.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Bill, here's the trouble with softly rolling on the three as you suggest. If the three is off the rail slightly the three can then be either cut, with a center to low ball hit bringing the cue ball twice across the table, or it can be kicked, sticking the cue ball right there.

If there is a slight angle on the three the three can then be played three rails toward his hole. Side rail, foot rail, head rail. In my opinion, there's lots of trouble ahead with that choice.

What shew think?

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
This would be my shot. No downside to this shot.
Question?
The combo looks to thin to draw the QB to the long rail and control it, so does that mean you run into the two balls opening your opponents hole. If you don't make the 5, I would be kicking one or three rails leaving you in front of your pocket with my hole open now.

I don't consider that free but then there are no free shots with this layout. You just have to pick the shot your most comfortable with

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Question?
The combo looks to thin to draw the QB to the long rail and control it, so does that mean you run into the two balls opening your opponents hole. If you don't make the 5, I would be kicking one or three rails leaving you in front of your pocket with my hole open now.

I don't consider that free but then there are no free shots with this layout. You just have to pick the shot your most comfortable with
I just set up the for the combo on the five ball and found that the hit is too thin like you say. If I can't roll the ball I'm for certain not going to draw. I first thought that I could shoot the combo with some high right and just roll the cue ball to come off the long rail.
After having said that I change my option to playing the three ball. Getting another shot is high percentage. If I don't make the three ball I should still ok.

jtompilot

Verified Member
After setting the balls up a bunch of times I liked the cut on the 5 much better than I thought I would.

I hated the combo. I didn't try the 10 bank because I just don't like it.

The three wasn't too bad. I made it, hung it, cought the side point, scratched in the side, sold out banks but they weren't free because the 3 was close. Mixed results.

I did discover another shot I didn't think about. If the angle is too thin to cut the 3, the two rail Z banks was good drawing the QB to the rail leaving a long straight in on the 15.

So I'm really torn between the 3 and 5. I would have to be at the table

LSJohn

Verified Member
After setting the balls up a bunch of times I liked the cut on the 5 much better than I thought I would.

I hated the combo. I didn't try the 10 bank because I just don't like it.

The three wasn't too bad. I made it, hung it, cought the side point, scratched in the side, sold out banks but they weren't free because the 3 was close. Mixed results.

I did discover another shot I didn't think about. If the angle is too thin to cut the 3, the two rail Z banks was good drawing the QB to the rail leaving a long straight in on the 15.

So I'm really torn between the 3 and 5. I would have to be at the table

Yeah, Jim, that Z looks pretty good given the angle you'd leave on the 15. I hope he shoots the 15 from there. :)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Since I was at the table, I'll report these facts...

#1. The angle is too thin to cut the 3ball, even with max. inside english, and get the cueball safely north of the 10 ball/past the side pocket.

#2. The 9-5 combo was obviously, a difficult shot, but it was definitely makeable - that's the only shot that I didn't want Tony to shoot, since he'll win the game right there and then if he happens to make it.

#3. The 10 was too close to the rail to kick effectively.

- Ghost

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
Since I was at the table, I'll report these facts...

#1. The angle is too thin to cut the 3 with, even max. inside english, and get the cueball safely north of the 10 ball.

#2. The 9-5 combo was obviously, a difficult shot, but it was definitely makeable - that's the only shot that I didn't want Tony to shoot, since he'll win the game right there and then if he happens to make it.

#3. The 10 was too close to the rail to kick effectively.

- Ghost
Of course I was not at the table to see the real angle but I would say "go ahead shoot that combo". I think the 5 would be a higher percentage and if made all the remaining balls would be available

So if it's to thin to cut the 3 then the Z bank would be on.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Of course I was at the table to see the real angle but I would say "go ahead shoot that combo". I think the 5 would be a higher percentage and if made all the remaining balls would be available

So if it's to thin to cut the 3 then the Z bank would be on.

Good point Jim, but in looking at the third and forth images, I don't think so. There are some people who just don't like thin cuts, I guess.

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
[/B]

Good point Jim, but in looking at the third and forth images, I don't think so. There are some people who just don't like thin cuts, I guess.

Tom
All the pics look good enough for me to cut the 3. I tried every way using the pics to set it up. So when I made it thin enough to not like inside English the Z bank was on. I can see using a touch of outside and trying to leave a straight shot on the 15 and sending the 3 close to the hole