Ghost vs. Tony 4 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I'm playing Tony here...an older, 80 yr. old guy that I play 11-7...Tony knows the game well, but doesn't shoot all that straight anymore...

I just banked the 5ball straight back, and just missed making it - unfortunately though, I was playing cross-table shape for the 8ball and I lost my cueball and pocket scratched in Tony's pocket 😡....

So Tony now has ball in hand, and his pocket is at the top right --- the ball score is 2-2, Ghost now going to 9, Tony going to 7....

There's about 5 different offensive choices/balls that go in your pocket to choose from in this wwyd - something for everyone --- wwyd? and what type of position are you playing for your second shot? >>>

PS, The 3ball (in a 'big ball position) and the 1ball are both approx. 1/8" off the rail...the 2ball does not have room to go in between the 13 and 3.

Last edited:

Tobermory

Verified Member
The choice will depend on the skill and confidence level of the player. If it was my shot, I'd set it up to shoot the 10-12 combo with a little left so that the CB kicks off the short rail squarely into the 5 ball. I think you could find the right place to start from so that the 12 is moving at pocket speed and the CB isn't moving very fast and won't go far from the location of the 5 ball. If you make the 12, keep shooting; if you miss it, and your pocket speed on the 12 was decent, there shouldn't be a return bank.

If I had less confidence that I could accurately aim the combo and control the CB, I'd two rail the 1 ball out of there and stick the CB as best I could, and wait for a safer moment to take advantage of the table which highly favors my chances.

lll

Verified Member
ghosty
how did you let most of the balls be on tony's side ??( Confused emoticom )
tony not being a "straight shooter" i would bank the 5 and come all the way to the kitchen and let deal with the mess
jmho

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Probably just do the drag draw on 15 like I've heard Rod mention before.. I hit them good (usually!) 8 next of course..

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Michael, and maybe Larry....youse guys do realize don't you, that in my opening post I said that I pocket-scratched = so you can put the cueball anywhere you want in the kitchen to shoot from.

HowardK

Verified Member
Shoot the 12 ball and drift the cue on the rail behind the 8 ball. Make the 8, bank the 1. 15 and 10 ball can now be made.

unoperro

Verified Member
Move whitey towards my side, cross over the 5. Trying to bank into the 8. High left on whitey trying to come back down table a diamond off the long rail ending in the kitchen.or thats what I think Tony should do.

I want to shoot the spot shot and draw into the top of the 5 . Should be able to gather eggs from there.

Tobermory

Verified Member
Got that. That's why I said I'd set up (meaning place CB where I want it) the combo shot so that I could easily kick the 5 from below.

Michael, and maybe Larry....youse guys do realize don't you, that in my opening post I said that I pocket-scratched = so you can put the cueball anywhere you want in the kitchen to shoot from.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Its hard to play in most poolrooms, and shoot that slow shot to make the spot shot, if I was on a table that rolled true though , thats my shot.
Second choice , the drag draw shot , but the average Joe has to be feelin it , to hit that shot good.
My probable choice would be shoot the 12 with low left and try to take out the 5 , I would shoot the 12 instead of the 15 because for me i am less likely to scratch on the shot and my cueball is coming at a better angle off the bottom rail to possibly bank the 5 to my side as I go past.
Also, that path takes the cueball, to a closer area to balls on your side, if you miss the 5 altogether.

brexit

Verified Member
I would line the cue ball up with the 8 ball and shoot the 15 with drag draw to dig out the 5 and play the 8 next.

For shits and giggles (please humor me because I'm at a point in my One Pocket education curve where I'm forcing myself to evaluate any and all possibilities and this crazy one lingered in my mind longer than I would have expected), I'd like some opinions on playing to 2-3 combo with a dead straight stop shot, using the 14 as cover if missed. Depending on exactly where the cue ball ends up, either the 1 ball or 13 could be available next and, if either of those are made, you're a favorite to get out.

Hope everyone's staying safe during these crazy times.
This site sure is great at times like this so thank you, Ghost, for posting up interesting "conundrums" like this!

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Shoot the 12 ball and drift the cue on the rail behind the 8 ball. Make the 8, bank the 1. 15 and 10 ball can now be made.
Yep. There are indeed lots of options and a monster might not want to didle with the 5. But for the non-pros, this shot offers a great reward:risk tradeoff. Meaning, big reward potential with low risk potential.

That said, from Ghost's last picture, I think I'd rather use the 15 than the 12, just so I can use less spin. I could change my mind at the table. And opening the path for the 10 is a good reason to shoot the 12 over the 15.

beatle

Verified Member
if you cant shoot a simple spot shot 90% and draw back over to the side rail then give up pool and go play tiddly winks.
plus its relatively safe if you miss and kick out the 5. then run out like a gentleman would.

beatle

Verified Member
for those that dont know it the one three combo 85 to 90% is very easy but only leaves one shot but you should be able to hold the first object ball.

you have two hanger shots, so pick one and shoot.

unoperro

Verified Member
for those that dont know it the one three combo 85 to 90% is very easy but only leaves one shot but you should be able to hold the first object ball.

you have two hanger shots, so pick one and shoot.
That 90% combo is 100% a sell out if you miss.

beatle

Verified Member
okay the third best shot is to shoot the 12 and come up for the 15 and 10. easy shot but you do sell out if you miss where the spot shot may not give a ball up.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would line the cue ball up with the 8 ball and shoot the 15 with drag draw to dig out the 5 and play the 8 next.

For shits and giggles (please humor me because I'm at a point in my One Pocket education curve where I'm forcing myself to evaluate any and all possibilities and this crazy one lingered in my mind longer than I would have expected), I'd like some opinions on playing to 2-3 combo with a dead straight stop shot, using the 14 as cover if missed. Depending on exactly where the cue ball ends up, either the 1 ball or 13 could be available next and, if either of those are made, you're a favorite to get out.

Hope everyone's staying safe during these crazy times.
This site sure is great at times like this so thank you, Ghost, for posting up interesting "conundrums" like this!
I could be mistaken, but for me , a drag draw shot is for killing the cue ball on or near the end rail, to play position on the 8, I would just use low left with a normal stroke to try to make the 12 or 15 and move the 5?
I was watching Mike Siegle shoot drag draw once and he said , the cueball will turn over backwards 8 times {I can't remember the actual number} before it turns over and rolls forward. Then he shot it and you could count the revolutions and he was correct.!