Ghost vs. Tony 3 wwyd

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Good post, good thinking.

Now, what do you think of Frank's suggestion to start with the 15 and go to the 8? On reflection, I think I like that better than the 12.
I refuse to change my mind more than once, ever! But this time, there's a reason.

I prefer the 12 because (1) margin of error to get on the 8 is larger because I'm coming into the footrail at a flatter angle and (2) whether I try to do this off the 8 ball right away or off the 5 ball bank, I have both the 10 and 15 available to get an ideal angle on. Also, starting with the 15 leaves a risk down the line of screwing up and having to shoot the 10-12 combo. Even if not, the 12 and 10 do not lay as naturally for getting both easily.

I also don't see the 12 ball as any harder than the 15. On the other hand, if you never miss a spot shot then, well, the 15 is a spot shot.

Cory

P.S. Can I sit next to the short bus driver for a little while now?

androd

Verified Member
You can sit right behind me !

I don't know about drawing the CB from the 12ball, I'm going to roll down to the rail behind the 8ball and don't care if I get straight in or not.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
I refuse to change my mind more than once, ever! But this time, there's a reason.

I prefer the 12 because (1) margin of error to get on the 8 is larger because I'm coming into the footrail at a flatter angle and (2) whether I try to do this off the 8 ball right away or off the 5 ball bank, I have both the 10 and 15 available to get an ideal angle on. Also, starting with the 15 leaves a risk down the line of screwing up and having to shoot the 10-12 combo. Even if not, the 12 and 10 do not lay as naturally for getting both easily.

I also don't see the 12 ball as any harder than the 15. On the other hand, if you never miss a spot shot then, well, the 15 is a spot shot.

Cory

I tried both the 12 ball and the 15 ball using a natural angle to get on the eight. The 12 ball is by far harder to do. You need a bigger angle with the cue ball and have to hit it much softer, making it harder to control the cue ball.
The 15 ball can be hit much fuller because the shot is straighter.

The big difference is the placement of the cue ball. It's a bit over two feet difference between the two shots. Anyone that tries both balls like I did will agree with me.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I tried both the 12 ball and the 15 ball using a natural angle to get on the eight. The 12 ball is by far harder to do. You need a bigger angle with the cue ball and have to hit it much softer, making it harder to control the cue ball.

The big difference is the placement of the cue ball. It's a bit over two feet difference between the two shots. Anyone that tries both balls like I did will agree with me.
I'm going for a prop bet on running balls from here with anyone, nobody's barred, get whoever, they have to slow roll at the 12 for position on the 8 & I'm going to shoot the 12 with follow and fall on the 10 or the 15. Whoever runs the most balls in say 5 attempts each, for a dime?

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I think I was the one who first posted the 12 to the 10 and 15. That does offer a good chance of getting out without ever having to worry about getting inside position for the 8 or having to bank the 5, because you have a good chance of getting just right on the 13 from the 10 and 15. I still think that's a pretty good path. I think it was Hendy who pointed out that this is a shot on the 12 where you really only have to focus on one thing, making the 12. That's good.

But I do like Hacker's path, and I don't think the 12 to the 8 is as tough to control as some are saying. I can set it up close to straight and stun over for the 8 with a medium stroke. Or I can give it more angle and roll it--this too basically allows me to focus only on making the 12.

Upon reflection, if I'm, say, 90% to make the 12 my way (going for the 10/15), then I'm probably 80%+ to make it with the slow roll (and 99.5% likely to hang it if I miss).

If I miss my way then I lose the game. If miss Hacker's way, I've got a ball hanging and the other guy is on defense. Likely worst case is that he uses the 8 ball to clear my ball, I get to clear out the 5, and I'm only down 4-1 with the balls laying decent for me.

Long story short, I think Hacker's path wins, for me. If I'm stroking the balls really well, then I stun it. If it's a normal day, then I set up the CB so the natural tangent line is almost straight at the chalk cube and I use a drag shot stroke.

Thanks, Rob.

Cory
Your very welcome and you just graduated.. You got your license and you can drive your own ass to school from now on.. The short bus doesn't stop at your house anymore:D

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I'm going for a prop bet on running balls from here with anyone, nobody's barred, get whoever, they have to slow roll at the 12 for position on the 8 & I'm going to shoot the 12 with follow and fall on the 10 or the 15. Whoever runs the most balls in say 5 attempts each, for a dime?
We can play at the game for whatever you want. Im stunning over for the 8 and you can shoot your way.
P.S. Its not about running balls (which you can forget running more balls than me). Its about WINNING THE GAME when you learn that you will be able to carpool with Cory... until then the short bus will be honking at 7 am:sorry

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Your very welcome and you just graduated.. You got your license and you can drive your own ass to school from now on.. The short bus doesn't stop at your house anymore:D
Hell, you overestimate me. I've just been running down the street trying to make it *onto* the short bus.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
We can play at the game for whatever you want. Im stunning over for the 8 and you can shoot your way.
P.S. Its not about running balls (which you can forget running more balls than me). Its about WINNING THE GAME when you learn that you will be able to carpool with Cory... until then the short bus will be honking at 7 am:sorry
Who's talking to you? I'm talking to anyone who wants to slow roll the 12 and fall on the 8, not stun over or draw over!! I made a simple statement, SLOWROLL at the 12 for position on the 8, do you have a reading disability?

Reason being, I don't think you can SLOWROLL at the 12 and get on the 8, looks like the angle prohibits it. Anyway, cool your jets, I wasn't challenging your shot choice.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
Who's talking to you? I'm talking to anyone who wants to slow roll the 12 and fall on the 8, not stun over or draw over!! I made a simple statement, SLOWROLL at the 12 for position on the 8, do you have a reading disability?
atta boy tall jeff.....;)

don't take no gruff from the hackster :D.

(rumor has it you could run those balls pretty sporty in your prime....)

:heh

Miller

Verified Member
just an honest "short bus" question....

can't you get on the 8 at leisure if you get on top of the 10 and 15 first?

:confused:
:)

androd

Verified Member

When you get old and not sure you'll make anything you'll learn to watch where you leave the CB in case you miss. :):D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member

Of course, you can move about freely with the angles you will have on the 10/15, plus you will be close to your work, so position on the 13 ball and or the 8 ball will be available depending on exactly how the CB settles.

Plus slow rolling on the 12 makes you deal with table conditions, such as drift and cloth speed, which is not much of a factor when shooting with the medium speed required for the 12 ball with follow to fall on the 10/15.

LSJohn

Verified Member

I agree with everything you say here, but something I don't think has been mentioned -- someone implied it -- is the value of clearing the 12 out of the path of the 10. I don't know how to compare the benefit of that to the advantages of 15 first, but it's there.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
With this understanding you now have a reason to look at the two combinations that are available

Dr. Bill
Shoot the 1 3 combo - then the 1 - then the 15, and then the 12 or the eight depending on the angle

I realize that all of youse keyboard cowboys don't never ever ever miss a spot shot - even though you're going to lose the game if you miss..:lol...but just to mention it...dontscratch's choice, which is also a possible option in Billy's opinion, the 1-3 combination, which is lined up straight down the rail, is the only shot in this situation which is a 95% make, for anybody - and it comes with automatic position...those two factors, imo, makes it definitely worthy of consideration, for the non-super-straight-shooting player..dontscratch realized that.

- Ghost

lll

Verified Member
lll;161722[B said:
]i like getting on the 8 next using the 12 since getting rid of that ball opens up the 10 and 15 for later[/B]
frank
why the 15 ball to start??
jeff
why go for the 10 after the 12 instead of going for the 8 next??
I agree with everything you say here, but something I don't think has been mentioned -- someone implied it -- is the value of clearing the 12 out of the path of the 10. I don't know how to compare the benefit of that to the advantages of 15 first, but it's there.
that someone was ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Also, starting with the 15 leaves a risk down the line of screwing up and having to shoot the 10-12 combo. Even if not, the 12 and 10 do not lay as naturally for getting both easily.

Cory
..............Me too!

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Yes you can.. BUT WAIT.. WAIT FOR IT..... what of you miss the 12? would you have rather have played shape on the 8 or 10/15 if you missed the 12... I will be honking for you at 7:D:D

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I realize that all of youse keyboard cowboys don't never ever ever miss a spot shot - even though you're going to lose the game if you miss..:lol...but just to mention it...dontscratch's choice, which is also a possible option in Billy's opinion, the 1-3 combination, which is lined up straight down the rail, is the only shot in this situation which is a 95% make, for anybody - and it comes with automatic position...those two factors, imo, makes it definitely worthy of consideration, for the non-super-straight-shooting player..dontscratch realized that.

- Ghost
OK Ghost your mouth has overloaded your ass again... you got me... when do you want to shoot the 1 3 combo.. you have to make 19 out of 20 to win (95%) right?:rolleyes:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
OK Ghost your mouth has overloaded your ass again... you got me... when do you want to shoot the 1 3 combo.. you have to make 19 out of 20 to win (95%) right?:rolleyes:
I'll send a helicopter for him if he wants to shoot at 18 outta 20 here in Houston, that's 90% and he ain't just anybody!

P.S. Forgot my smiley face!!