Ghost vs. Steve 8 wwyd ?

Kybanks

Verified Member
If the 4 ball hits the 15 first, it will send the 9 off the 14 towards his hole, maybe in. Just thinking.
That does look very possible, I'm gonna move some balls here and try to get in the game. As long as I can manage the cb back to the end rail then I will live with whatever happens down table.

wincardona

Verified Member
another option that looks to be available is to cut the 15ball toward your pocket hitting it thinly and softly, the cue ball will carom into the 5ball sending the cue ball to the bottom cushion as the 15ball opens up to your side.

This option if hit well will not move the spotted balls much and create a deterrent for your opponent. Looks risky but not so much.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
taQUOTE="mr3cushion, post: 444492, member: 17347"]
If the 4 ball hits the 15 first, it will send the 9 off the 14 towards his hole, maybe in. Just thinking.
[/QUOTE]
What's the chance that that will happen? However, you do have a point, for instance... we shouldn't cross the street in fear of getting run over...just sayin.

Anyways, that was very insightful but I still have to gamble against that happening.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
another option that looks to be available is to cut the 15ball toward your pocket hitting it thinly and softly, the cue ball will carom into the 5ball sending the cue ball to the bottom cushion as the 15ball opens up to your side.

This option if hit well will not move the spotted balls much and create a deterrent for your opponent. Looks risky but not so much.

Dr. Bill
Also, related to that shot...the 15ball just barely has room to pass the 13, and can be cut into your pocket.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I still like my shot, but since you said that Ghost, maybe he cut the 15 thin and brought the CB 2 rails around the 11 and back to where it is now, doubling you up and forcing you to take the 15 away from his side which could possibly give him a cross corner bank on his next inning?

unoperro

Verified Member
Thin the 8 and billiard the 13 over a couple inches to your side.try in leave whitey on the foot rail.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I think most of us agree we need to try to make a shot that puts balls on our side that go. I would bank the 4 into the 13? {whatever ball is just above the spot} and play shape back to the area I am in around that corner pocket. Have to be careful not to hit the 15 ball, or way too hard, or it may carom back by his pocket, Not worrying about it, just cognizant that a little short could be a problem ,a little long is not so bad.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
I think you have shoot the follow shot with the nine ball. You're fairly certain to hit the three spotted and open something to your side. You need something on your side to #1 put some heat on your opponent and #2 get a chance to run some balls in later innings.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Steve's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- ball score is 3-1 Ghost ahead, both going to 8 --- not a whole lot of options here/not that easy for Steve to come up with a viable, productive shot --- wwyd? ----->
I must get a couple of balls to my side sooner rather than later so I'm banking the 4 into them balls on the spot and floating the CB back to roughly where it is now.

Playing the 9 off the 8 thin and following the CB long rail bottom rail could also be an option but I don't like it as much as banking the 4. If I happen to hit the 8 a bit thick, it may nudge 10/13 into the way of the CB, plus I may not get any threats on my side of the table.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
Yeah, that was the first shot I was looking at. It's hard to tell from the picture how much gap is between the 15 & 13. But Ghost said there's a gap, so I'd be cutting it as close to my hole as possible, caroming the 5 toward the 11 to "cluster them up". Care should be taken not to bump the 3 into bankable position cross corner. If Ghost is saying that the 15 can be pocketed, then the shot is a no-brainer.

I'd love to have the touch necessary to bank the 9ball 2-rails and roll the CB forward freezing onto the 8 ball, but I think the shot is above my pay grade these days. Hell, maybe it always was...:cautious:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
where does the CB end up after caroming off the 5?

I just worry about leaving a return cross corner on the 15 unless i get it in the jaws.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
where does the CB end up after caroming off the 5?

I just worry about leaving a return cross corner on the 15 unless i get it in the jaws.
Good point. I think if the 15 is hit thin enough there will be more speed on the CB than on the OB, which would likely carry the CB off the 5, and kick high enough off the foot rail to be safe. But the 3 could be a danger for a return bank if that cluster is nicked.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Don't worry Chris - it's in the jaws :) ...

As I posted before, Steve is an aggressive player, and a straight shooter/good rotation player, more so than he is a One Pocket player...and since he was down in the score here...

...similar to Jim wanting to cut the 8ball in, Steve chose to attempt to back-cut the 15ball in....he hit it good - just missed making it....here's how it turned out ----->

P.S. Yeah, he left me a decent bank on the 3ball, but I can't shoot it = I can only get one if I make it, and he can get several if I don't make it.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...jpg

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Nice wwyd Ghost! I am wondering what would of your choice have been if the situation was reversed and it was your shot instead of Steve's shot.
It looks like he clipped the 1 after hitting the 15. Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
Looks like you had to be at the table to see that shot.

The 15 cuts and cueball will billiard the 5 to the top side of the 11 before returning to billiard the 11 .

OneRock

Verified Member
I'm playing to, bank the 9 ball 2 rails into the line of balls, and, 'stun-follow' the CB to the 1st diamond on the short rail.

The OB needs to travel faster the CB here to avoid a, 'kiss' just before the short rail, hence, the, 'stun-follow.'

The 9 ball needs to be contacted about, 90-95% full, for the CB to go behind the 8.

View attachment 431673
That's the first shot I saw, but then I opted for the one that Kybanks described. The problem with playing the 9 two rails into the spotted balls has to do with timing. I don't believe the CB can get to the bottom rail before the 9 makes contact with the spotted balls. If the 9 comes off those balls and interferes with the CB, you might sell out.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
That's the first shot I saw, but then I opted for the one that Kybanks described. The problem with playing the 9 two rails into the spotted balls has to do with timing. I don't believe the CB can get to the bottom rail before the 9 makes contact with the spotted balls. If the 9 comes off those balls and interferes with the CB, you might sell out.
Pete, this is how I explained that issue. "The OB needs to travel faster than the CB here to avoid a, 'kiss' just before the short rail, hence, the, 'stun-follow."

jay helfert

Verified Member
I'm definitely playing the 4 ball to the stack of balls and putting the cb back to where it is now. Its only gonna get tougher if you dont get something on your side. If I sell out a shot it could come with a sales tax.
I like this. The Ghost has Steve in a dead trap and you must try to shake things up here.