Ghost vs. Steve 5

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
combo bank. it doesnt have to be cut as much as it looks. you can bring cue down across behind the 1 and actually get out from here with not much down side. or leave cue more safe if so desired.

plus since ghost cant remember which pocket he has he might even shoot your 1 ball in the hole for you.
Good one beatle - you got me there :)

sappo

Verified Member
You're in the end game and you're in an uncomfortable position...

Steve's shot --- Steve's pocket is at the bottom left --- ball score is 5-4, Ghost ahead, both going to 8 --- the cueball is frozen to the rail --- the 10-11 combo is wired for me...

Consider this game vital = that you're hill-hill here in a Derby City match --- you don't want to leave your opponent a shot....

...one "fraught with peril" option >>> with the cueball frozen to the rail, and the existing angle, to thin the 10 to get back down-table without running into the 1ball would take a perfect/difficult hit........so then, wcyd/wwyd ----->
Im just shooting straight into the 1 ball moving it to my side and leaving the cueball close to where the 1 ball is now. It doesn't look like the 10 or 11 bank and if he wants to shoot that 8 ball bank, I don't mind because 1 its not easy and 2 he sells out the combo. This shot is simple and I feel effective. K

beatle

Verified Member
ghost wants us to find a safe shot here and not hit the bank.

so the safe shot is to hit the 8 two rails near the 3 and leave him on the rail without a viable shot.

Hardmix

Verified Member
Newkirks shot only trying to move the 10 and 11 to my side. The angle looks right to put the cue ball on the first diamond by the 13. You want to cut the 8 from there go for it.

You don’t have to hit this hard for it to work out.

B
I like the idea of this shot. Although I would be concerned about how much I had to cut 11 to get it to actually cross to my side and the limited energy transfer to the 10. The views are quite different between pic 1 and 2. In pic 1 it appears the proper cut angle on the 11 has the cb hitting just below the side pocket. If you are trying to leave the cb on the first diamond I think the 10 will hit just left of middle diamond on the end rail possibly leaving a shot for your opponent.

This is a creative shot but I think it is trickier than it looks.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I am not taking a foul with the score and layout.

I really only see two viable options, both include taking away the 10 11 combo for my opponent.

1) cut the 11 and run two rails back up the table to where the cueball is now. I might put a hair of left hand english on this, but not much because I am pinned to the rail

OR

2) cut the 11 and run three rails up the table to where it is now. You have to hit this harder than option 1 and there is risk of colliding with 11 on way back up.

This is a pretty standard 3c type of shot.

My preference is option 1 assuming I can hit this without moving the 10 ball.
I want to leave my opponent doubled up on the 10 3 and the 11 is also going to block some lanes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
Slight clip of the 11 ball....11 will hit the 10 and move both balls too the left, cue ball into the 8. Your close to your work, clipping the 11 ball breaks up the dead combo.

wgcp

Verified Member
Wish I could diagram it like you frank. That is the shot I was talking about.

B

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I would study this if there is enough space between those two balls to do this.

View attachment 24774
Man... I like some parts of this shot, but that 1 ball is just too free with the cue ball down there by the first diamond.
Unless you can get that 10 all the way to the lower quadrant, you are giving up a free bank on the 1 ball.
I have been playing a bit with Piggy, Ike, Darryl and they will all shoot that one ball and shoot it in a manner that makes the shot free meaning moving whitey down below. If not, they are double banking the 11 ball you pushed over there at speed for a free shot.
I think I need to start playing some guys that don't bank well to have fun again :lol

wgcp

Verified Member
I can’t bank worth a damn...I’ll be your huckleberry...

B

unoperro

Verified Member
I am not taking a foul with the score and layout.

I really only see two viable options, both include taking away the 10 11 combo for my opponent.

1) cut the 11 and run two rails back up the table to where the cueball is now. I might put a hair of left hand english on this, but not much because I am pinned to the rail

OR

2) cut the 11 and run three rails up the table to where it is now. You have to hit this harder than option 1 and there is risk of colliding with 11 on way back up.

This is a pretty standard 3c type of shot.

My preference is option 1 assuming I can hit this without moving the 10 ball.
I want to leave my opponent doubled up on the 10 3 and the 11 is also going to block some lanes.
This isnt a 3c table I am afraid either shot takes a good bit of speed?

catkins

Verified Member
I would go fairly simple here and play the 11 10 combo where ever it goes to roll and freeze on the 8

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Man... I like some parts of this shot, but that 1 ball is just too free with the cue ball down there by the first diamond.
Unless you can get that 10 all the way to the lower quadrant, you are giving up a free bank on the 1 ball.
I have been playing a bit with Piggy, Ike, Darryl and they will all shoot that one ball and shoot it in a manner that makes the shot free meaning moving whitey down below. If not, they are double banking the 11 ball you pushed over there at speed for a free shot.
I think I need to start playing some guys that don't bank well to have fun again :lol
I seriously doubt that an experienced one pocket player would bank at the one ball if left like in my diagram. Banking the one to their pocket and also taking the cue ball to that area could very well cost him the game for the want of one ball. It's not as free of a shot as one might think.

Tobermory

Verified Member
This is the shot. Pretty simple to execute if you hit the 13 thin enough. Everything else mentioned is too risky, too hard to control, without enough potential reward to justify the gamble.

Simply thin the 13 and bring whitey right back down to the center of the foot rail. Now the opponent can't bank the 3 because the 13 is on the spot. Nothing offensive for him.

I'm inclined to want to combo bank the 11-10, just to get it into my quadrant, but from the rail, it's too tough to control the CB.

~Doc

Grinder797

Ghost vs. Steve 5

I would roll up on the 11, hopefully giving it a nudge to remove the combo threat.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

unoperro

Verified Member
This is the shot. Pretty simple to execute if you hit the 13 thin enough. Everything else mentioned is too risky, too hard to control, without enough potential reward to justify the gamble.
Shoot that a few times it isnt so easy.

If succesful incoming player just banks the 1 and then what?

Last edited: