Ghost vs. Paul 4

Kybanks

Verified Member
Looking at the 2-railer, I'm pretty sure that I can get the CB to the long rail but would have to be at the table to know for sure. And the 13 ball bank is pretty good.

Here's one more option--again, I'd have to be at the table to know if it's doable, since it might be tough to get the cue ball where it needs to be without being a little straighter on the ball you're shooting at. Ghost did drop a hint that Paul ("Mexican Paul"?) is a strong 3C player, so spinning the cue ball might be right up his alley.

In any case, if the path is there for the CB to safely pass the 7 then this could be a pretty strong shot.
See post #25.

lll

Verified Member
Bill, I know you are a better shooter than I, but look at the first picture of Ghostie's. You have to cut that 4 ball quite a bit for it to hit above the second diamond in order to hit the 11 ball, it seems.

Can you really draw that CB back that much I assume with rhe and get it off the long rail and up table? Just curious.
darrell
i am happy to diagram it for you...:)
i agree with you that from the angle in this view it doesnt look like there is as big a channel to go thru as the other view shows.
ghost vs pat 35 for darrell.jpg

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
if you look at the line the cue ball takes from the ball to the rail
you can also see this angle is doable
ghost vs pat 35 tangent line.jpg

lll

Verified Member
This is a great shot, I would hit the 13 ball lower down the rail as the left low english you need and hitting it at somewhat of a quick pace is going to straighten that ball up, Ideal contact points are in two places, preferably the main target is the top side of the 15 ensuring all 3 balls putter over to our hole, the second spot might yield better results but ur gonna lose the 3 ball a bit after its kicked upward when ur contact point is on the underside of the 15. Creating a kiss on the 3 ball sending the 15 for glory!

@rnewkirk ( or bunt )
i covered this shot in post #9 and from what i can discern from the pics you would use low right hand english. at least i would. not left hand english.

in any case you would play the shot in such a way to hit either of the two balls down low in such a way that it enables you to make your cue ball go as in larry's diagram.
tex (can i call you that for short?)(i dont know your first name)
my diagrams are usually to show an idea rather than pin point accuracy (sorry about that )
where to aim the 13 to get the best results on the collision would be done at the table. you make good points about how to decide where to hit them.
like beatle said you have to hit this with low RIGHT
and the priority is the cue ball first being willing to sacrifice the best outcome with the collisions
goals for the shot are
1) cue ball not hitting anything on the way to the head rail
2) move some balls to my side for threats
btw
you can call me larry ....:)

one pocket guy

Verified Member
All the offense looks great.

All the offense looks great.

But I think opening up the 6 and dropping on the 15/3 is the shot That will give me a better look later.

darmoose

Verified Member
if you look at the line the cue ball takes from the ball to the rail
you can also see this angle is doable
View attachment 25096
Hey, Larry,

Thanks for the diagram. When this shot was first suggested by someone else earlier in the thread, they wanted to take the CB to the other side of the 4 ball, which I felt was doable, but risky because the speed required would prolly cause the CB to come back down table and leave fairly easy shot on a free 11 ball. In either case a inadvertent hit on any of those balls around the 4 ball would spell likely disaster. The concern I have specifically with your version is I don't know if it's possible to hit that 13 ball high enough on the side rail and still drag the CB into the corner enough to get through the opening you are taking, that's all.

You have a table, if you haven't already set this up and tried, maybe you will and let us know.
:)

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
you are going to have the cut the 10/14 more than what is diagramed to miss the 2. That said, you better leave the 10/14 in the jaws because if you don't the 11 ball is free, and if made, its all over but the crying.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

lll

Verified Member
Hey, Larry,

Thanks for the diagram. When this shot was first suggested by someone else earlier in the thread, they wanted to take the CB to the other side of the 4 ball, which I felt was doable, but risky because the speed required would prolly cause the CB to come back down table and leave fairly easy shot on a free 11 ball. In either case a inadvertent hit on any of those balls around the 4 ball would spell likely disaster. The concern I have specifically with your version is I don't know if it's possible to hit that 13 ball high enough on the side rail and still drag the CB into the corner enough to get through the opening you are taking, that's all.

You have a table, if you haven't already set this up and tried, maybe you will and let us know.
:)
I did try it on my gold crown
And it’s doable...:)

Jim McCary

Verified Member
I would 2 rail the ball on the bottom rail and stop whitey right there. if he shoots and makes the 11, he may not have another open ball to shoot at and if he does, I will pay him and tell him that was a great shot.

Jim Mc

beatle

Verified Member
nice shot if you can draw that well. but expect the next game we play to be a different spot or its over. so that shot may be great and win the game but it likely will be the last game.

there is more to winning at pool than winning.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I haven't read even one post, so I am not taking any credit for this shot.
Bank the 4 into my hole! It appears to be lying perfectly to cross corner the 4 by ever so slightly going across it face using draw right, and bringing the cb directly to the side rail and straight back out to get on the 2. Whitey

Island Drive

Verified Member
nice shot if you can draw that well. but expect the next game we play to be a different spot or its over. so that shot may be great and win the game but it likely will be the last game.

there is more to winning at pool than winning.
Hey....we're 9 ball players at the core, that type of shot is in our wheelhouse, but it also gets us in trouble. :p

Last time I saw Chicago Mike jack up with his LD carbon shaft, it hopped then he drew the cue ball from mid table too the head rail, and the ball actually came OFF the head rail and landed mid table by the side pocket. I was amazed, I've NEVER seen a cue ball hopp, then draw back 8' my years of playing, cept maybe Joe Alvarez's father from Ft. Collins; RIP.... he was a good man.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I still like keeping the ball up near the head rail and shooting that 10/14, maybe kicking is better than banking, would have to see at the table, the 11 is no gimme....

Nice eye on seeing the 4 ball bank goes whitey, but if you dont make it the 4 comes out fast and hard ;pushing all balls to his side, plus you leave him straight in on the 11 of you miss.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I think most players would two rail the 10 with high right. It's a good angle to the pocket and you should leave the cue ball on the side rail. He has a sell out back cut that runs the cue ball into the balls near your side.

darmoose

Verified Member
:lol:lol This is like fantasy island. I'd like to hear what odds would our gofers want to bet on making that 4 ball cross corner and another ball after that.

Not too difficult to put the CB on the 15 and under the 3 ball. From there you got problems. If I'm playing the shooter I want him to shoot any of these gofer shots.

:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
:lol:lol This is like fantasy island. I'd like to hear what odds would our gofers want to bet on making that 4 ball cross corner and another ball after that.

Not too difficult to put the CB on the 15 and under the 3 ball. From there you got problems. If I'm playing the shooter I want him to shoot any of these gofer shots.

Hey brother Darrell....yeah :rolleyes:, as I said before, a few months ago...I really need to start requiring all respondents to my wwyd's to unequivocally state which of these two venues are they playing in when shooting their posted up shot choice:

#1. Playing in the One Pocket tournament at the Derby City Classic, or

#2. Playing an octogenarian for $1 a game at the VFW hall.

- GH:cool:ST

Island Drive

Verified Member
Another point of view

Another point of view

Moose, what's interesting about the 4 ball bank shot is this....use a 11 o'clock cueing with Follow. The banked ball will of course have waaaaaay more ball speed than the cue ball, so the dbl kiss is out. By using l/h spin the cue ball will come off the foot rail and back to your opponents long rail, it's an aggressive shot, but with the l/h spin on the object ball it'll bring the 4 easily towards the pocket. If I chose to shoot this type of shot that Ronnie Allen in his prime would never miss, I would for sure make sure it banks long ''at worst''. If it does this it'll be also beneficial, it'll open up the middle ball clusters a little.

Hardmix

Verified Member
Banking the 13 into the 2 balls on the foot rail is appealing but I can’t tell from the pic if I will have to hit the 13 too hard to get the cb to escape 2 rails through the alley by the 2 up table. If hit too hard, you may not end up with anything in front of your pocket, worse a ball could bank to the opponents side.

That said, based on what I see in the pic, I am thinning off the 7 and leaving the cb just below the corner pocket. This will open the 7 and 6. I expect the return shot will be coming off the 2 and trying to duck under the 2 balls on the foot rail. If this shot comes up short, you will have a nice 2 rail shot on the 11 with the potential to duck behind the 2 balls.

This is one of those wwyd where you really need to be at the table.