Ghost vs. Paul 4

cincy_kid

Verified Member
You are going to have the cut the 10/14 more than what is diagramed to miss the 2. That said, you better leave the 10/14 in the jaws because if you don't the 11 ball is free, and if made, its all over but the crying.
I am drawing into the other stripe to keep CB up near end rail to leave a long shot and if missed my opponent may lose.

I may even decide to kick it one rail and stop the CB there...

Granted if I am playing you, I may not play this shot because you rarely miss lol :)

Island Drive

Verified Member
You are going to have the cut the 10/14 more than what is diagramed to miss the 2. That said, you better leave the 10/14 in the jaws because if you don't the 11 ball is free, and if made, its all over but the crying.
Exactly....

My thoughts if I was to choose that ball, was to kick it and freeze em. If I did choose to bank it 2, I'd try and put em behind that other ball on the head rail. I still like my shot. Banking and removing the 11 and having multiple balls moving towards the cluster towards my hole.

darmoose

Verified Member
Ben,

You are obviously correct. I had an analysis all typed up this morning before I was heading off to play some, and I didn't post it because I decided that all these "gofers" were not interested in any risk/reward analysis.

The fly in the ointment for all the offensive suggestions made except Cat's is the 11 ball. On any of these offerings, if you don't get something close to your pocket while putting the CB up table the 11 ball is free and a natural game winner. Even if I don't make it you are likely to be snookered and in trouble. Cat's shot looks pretty and could work, but if it gets a kiss, look out. Too much risk to bet the game on with all these balls down table, especially when you're just moving balls.

The safety off the 6 ball and down to the 15 ball could create a problem for the opponent or it could give him a straightback bank, but NO position, and it ain't free.

JMHO:D

darmoose

Verified Member
John, I am going to have to quit editing my posts. You beat me to it by 3 minutes.

It takes me longer to post than most, and then edit.

GOOD CHOICE, I like your shot:D
Hey Ralph, I know you selected that shot before you saw my post, so you get credit for a good choice too.:D

Thanks for the compliment though; I feel like I'm in good company.

Darrell
:lol:lol:lol

BTW....Happy Birthday..

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
I am gofering! 2 railing the stripe on the middle diamond and swinging my cb 2 rails for the 3\15.

catkins

Verified Member
The thing that strikes me the mos about this wwyd is that a mistake here is catastrophic, every balls faces my opponents pocket and i have very few threats. If I don't move the balls here or lock my opponent up seriously it feels like one slightly difficult shot by my opponent potentially losses the game . that is why I chose a moving shot to rearrange the pack to hopefully improve my over all position. If this option is not there I would play off the 6 focusing on really locking the cue ball up under the two balls on the base rail, though this could possibly leave a straight back to win the game in my oppinion

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Paul 4

That is my choice too. Worst case you leave him a back cut on the 11 which is a tough shot and sends balls to your hole. If you hit it well, the cue ball is down by the ten and you have blockers for anything that gets near your hole.

We have two new Gabriel’s coming to Hard Times and I will learn as much as I can so we can play some next time we cross paths.

Can’t wait 👍. As long as your stuck horse is not in attendance I’m happy to fire at you, but he gets first priority.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Doc and I were advocating shooting with right to get the CB to the long rail. That way, the 11 is not free.

beatle

Verified Member
you guys dropping in to the short rail will get to watch him running balls in a few rounds.

Island Drive

Verified Member
The thing that strikes me the mos about this wwyd is that a mistake here is catastrophic, every balls faces my opponents pocket and i have very few threats. If I don't move the balls here or lock my opponent up seriously it feels like one slightly difficult shot by my opponent potentially losses the game . that is why I chose a moving shot to rearrange the pack to hopefully improve my over all position. If this option is not there I would play off the 6 focusing on really locking the cue ball up under the two balls on the base rail, though this could possibly leave a straight back to win the game in my oppinion
That's why I choose my shot in my last thread, ducking gets you another duck, my bank shot....could move 7 or more balls towards my side....put em up table and easily remove the 11 ball.

beatle

Verified Member
he will be behind two balls that can be used to open and send those other ones to his side unless you get him perfectly hidden. or after a few rounds that will be the case.

right now the table favors him very strongly for run outs. that needs to be addressed by putting something in front of your hole and hiding him, and forcing him to immediately deal with it. or opening those balls in the pack to your side.

its best to have him making defensive shots.

lll

Verified Member
guys
i didnt post right away
but this was the first shot i saw and still think its the best
the angle for the 2 railer on the stripe on the head RAIL sends it more to the stack if you want to keep the cue ball down there (icbw)
ghost paul 35 wwyd.jpg

darmoose

Verified Member
guys
i didnt post right away
the angle for the 2 railer on the stripe on the head RAIL sends it more to the stack if you want to keep the cue ball down there (icbw)
View attachment 25092

Larry,

That is a very creative shot and an elegant diagram. I wish I knew how to do that.

Something about it just doesn't look right to me; do me a favor and diagram that shot using Ghost's first picture, noting that the 13 ball is hitting just below the first diamond. I'd like to see from there if it looks like you can pull that CB back and out of the corner like that.

What bothers me about these shots is if you hit a ball coming out of the corner it could be disasterous, so that's a lot to risk, at least I think so.:)

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
That's why I choose my shot in my last thread, ducking gets you another duck, my bank shot....could move 7 or more balls towards my side....put em up table and easily remove the 11 ball.
Bill, I know you are a better shooter than I, but look at the first picture of Ghostie's. You have to cut that 4 ball quite a bit for it to hit above the second diamond in order to hit the 11 ball, it seems.

Can you really draw that CB back that much I assume with rhe and get it off the long rail and up table? Just curious.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Bill, I know you are a better shooter than I, but look at the first picture of Ghostie's. You have to cut that 4 ball quite a bit for it to hit above the second diamond in order to hit the 11 ball, it seems.

Can you really draw that CB back that much I assume with rhe and get it off the long rail and up table? Just curious.
Oh yeah, I've got that swing as long as that cue ball is far enough away from the rail. Or, you could bank it, pocket it and draw back up table. With the cue ball coming off the first long rail with ALLOT of r/h draw, and the cue ball coming off the other long rail about a diamond above the upper pocket....& drop to the head rail. If I was further away from the 4 it's not there or too close to the rail, but I'm soooooooo close to the 4....the 11 ball is GONE once I hit the shot. The draw swing speed needed on this shot allows the shooter to hit the 4 allot more FULL, forcing the angle....making this shot ''that much easier'' for any good rotation player.

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Looking at the 2-railer, I'm pretty sure that I can get the CB to the long rail but would have to be at the table to know for sure. And the 13 ball bank is pretty good.

Here's one more option--again, I'd have to be at the table to know if it's doable, since it might be tough to get the cue ball where it needs to be without being a little straighter on the ball you're shooting at. Ghost did drop a hint that Paul ("Mexican Paul"?) is a strong 3C player, so spinning the cue ball might be right up his alley.

In any case, if the path is there for the CB to safely pass the 7 then this could be a pretty strong shot.

Attachments

TxOnePocket

guys
i didnt post right away
View attachment 25092

This is a great shot, I would hit the 13 ball lower down the rail as the left low english you need and hitting it at somewhat of a quick pace is going to straighten that ball up, Ideal contact points are in two places, preferably the main target is the top side of the 15 ensuring all 3 balls putter over to our hole, the second spot might yield better results but ur gonna lose the 3 ball a bit after its kicked upward when ur contact point is on the underside of the 15. Creating a kiss on the 3 ball sending the 15 for glory!

@rnewkirk ( or bunt )

beatle

Verified Member
i covered this shot in post #9 and from what i can discern from the pics you would use low right hand english. at least i would. not left hand english.

in any case you would play the shot in such a way to hit either of the two balls down low in such a way that it enables you to make your cue ball go as in larry's diagram.