Ghost vs. Pat 3 wwyd...

keoneyo

Verified Member
The One ball bank is a one pocket mans shot. This is the kind of bank the Ghost I know must have in his repertoire. It lays so sweet cause the 8 and 3 act as blockers. (How can you remove the ONE if you cant see it???)

Plus the throw will allow the One to float down to his pocket. If he makes it he can run 4 more if not out. If he doesnt make it it lies near the pocket.
Let anyone cut the 13 with the One ball right near Ghost's hole. Tough shot.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
The One ball bank is a one pocket mans shot. This is the kind of bank the Ghost I know must have in his repertoire. It lays so sweet cause the 8 and 3 act as blockers. (How can you remove the ONE if you cant see it???)

Plus the throw will allow the One to float down to his pocket. If he makes it he can run 4 more if not out. If he doesnt make it it lies near the pocket.
Let anyone cut the 13 with the One ball right near Ghost's hole. Tough shot.
lol,Yes its a very common shot. I just don't like taking a chance shooting it and mis-hitting it if i don't have too.. Maybe i play too tight. Of course i'm not worried about the thirteen if i get there.... But if i don't, then he has options other than the 13 too.

petie

Verified Member
Bank the 15. Its the easiest shot on the table and when you go into the ball above it a little you get a good breakout for running the balls and an automatic reward with the 9 laying fertile on the bottom rail. I think Luke runs out from here starting with the fifteen.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Keone's 1-ball bank is probably the best choice. It even comes with position if it pockets. The 15 ball cross corner is not that strong because it won't go, and it pushes one or two balls into scoring position for the opponent.

Alternatively a medium safety would be to pocket the 13 in the side, and roll the CB up to the corner. It can't be left too far up, otherwise there would be a free bank on the 8.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
I like two shots here, Keoneyo shot banking the 1ball with left english is how I would play it. The left english will help control the cue ball off the side rail and keep it as deep as possible giving you your best shot at ending up behind the 3 and 8ball. This is a strong shot but it isn't laying that easy, looks to be a little thin but doable.

The other shot I like is to spin two rails off the 9ball and try to end up between the 6 and 1ball with the cue ball. If this shot is chosen you want as little movement from the 9ball as possible, however, it also looks to be a little thin, which then controlling the 9ball may be a poblem.

Playing off the 9ball is a very strong shot it will put your opponent in a very difficult position and the next time back at the table you could be looking at something much better than the bank on the 1ball.

Dr. Bill
Your first shot on the one ball is the first shot I saw, all cue ball and nearly impossibly to NOT get behind the 8/3. Also, moving into the cluster off the nine ball I also like as the speed of your shot is Very controllable, and the stack will ''hold the line''.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
Quick question

Quick question

Quick question, lots of coins up and only 13 balls on the table?

wincardona

Verified Member
I would respectively disagree with both these shots. IMO playing the bank on the one has a few problems. If you don't hang it or make it its no good and he can access all the balls on your side of the table. If you happen to hit it short you loose the cue ball and he could also possibly cut the thirteen and leave you safe.. If you happen to leave it on the bottom rail it make a easy escape and clearing your balls etc. Just too many plays on a miss.
Same with the 9 shot. Shooting a ton of spin grazing the edge of the 9 and then trying to lay perfectly between the 1 and 6. Even if you do get it real close he can graze the six and kick you back safe to where you are now. Hit it too hard and you bump a ball out for a free bank. Come up short you leave a easy bank on the 15 and or the one.
John, I have noticed that you're talking about all the negatives in choosing both the 1ball and 9ball options. If your skill level is not suited to play either of these shots then you'll have to wait for something better, but don't be surprised if you end up in a tougher battle than the one that you just won, but didn't recognize.:sorry

The two shots I mentioned are very viable options. The 1ball is an attacking option that offers protection with the 3 and 8ball. The balls the way they lay are clearly in the shooters favor..by far, the 1ball keeps the pressure on his opponent and perhaps.. just might be a winning shot.. with very little risk. I mentioned that the 1ball may be laying a little thin, and for some it may be too intimidating to choose. If you're a player that doesn't like the angle the 1ball offers then you can slide off the 9ball and position the cue ball in the stack. This shot is an excellent shot because it doesn't leave your opponent an option to break down your position, nor does he have any offense shots to choose from. His response from this position would be to try to put the cue ball back some where from where you shot it from. If he plays well he will accomplish this and you will once again have the shot on the 1ball, if he's not successful with his answer to your safety, you just might have something much better than the 1ball bank.

Now I have to go to work at my real job..I deliver sandwiches for Jason's Deli.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
Keone's 1-ball bank is probably the best choice. It even comes with position if it pockets. The 15 ball cross corner is not that strong because it won't go, and it pushes one or two balls into scoring position for the opponent.

Alternatively a medium safety would be to pocket the 13 in the side, and roll the CB up to the corner. It can't be left too far up, otherwise there would be a free bank on the 8.

~Doc
Art, playing the 13ball in the side is what I would want you to do if we were playing. This position and positions like this one the way the balls are laying are asking you to attack, or lock up your opponent to attack in your next inning. By playing passively you run the risk of your opponent breaking down your position. Often it's just moving one ball that will negate a strong position long enough for him to move another ball and eventually he will be free from danger and you will be in a battle to gain dominance. You have the dominant position now..take advantage of it.

Dr. Bill

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
John, I have noticed that you're talking about all the negatives in choosing both the 1ball and 9ball options. If your skill level is not suited to play either of these shots then you'll have to wait for something better, but don't be surprised if you end up in a tougher battle than the one that you just won, but didn't recognize.:sorry

The two shots I mentioned are very viable options. The 1ball is an attacking option that offers protection with the 3 and 8ball. The balls the way they lay are clearly in the shooters favor..by far, the 1ball keeps the pressure on his opponent and perhaps.. just might be a winning shot.. with very little risk. I mentioned that the 1ball may be laying a little thin, and for some it may be too intimidating to choose. If you're a player that doesn't like the angle the 1ball offers then you can slide off the 9ball and position the cue ball in the stack. This shot is an excellent shot because it doesn't leave your opponent an option to break down your position, nor does he have any offense shots to choose from. His response from this position would be to try to put the cue ball back some where from where you shot it from. If he plays well he will accomplish this and you will once again have the shot on the 1ball, if he's not successful with his answer to your safety, you just might have something much better than the 1ball bank.

Now I have to go to work at my real job..I deliver sandwiches for Jason's Deli.

Dr. Bill
Thanks for the heads up:eek: And yes, my skill set say what can go wrong if i miss.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
My brain must not be functioning right

My brain must not be functioning right

12-7 spot ?...............Ghost gives up weight to many of his customers :)...he's got a few more pennies somewhere in his pocket for that Special person :heh
I've never got 12-7 before, but giving most of my answers have been judged totally wrong....lol I might just be a great customer... My brain must not be functioning right. There is a coin by Pats pocket and 3 coins by Ghost's pocket and 2 balls down?

androd

Verified Member
My brain must not be functioning right. There is a coin by Pats pocket and 3 coins by Ghost's pocket and 2 balls down?
You're correct, or maybe I'm not functioning right either. :frus
I'm sure someone will straighten us out.
Rod.
P.S. I only can see two coins by the specters pocket, but it's still wrong to me. Anyone ? help.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
Rod.
P.S. I only can see two coins by the specters pocket, but it's still wrong to me. Anyone ? help.
I think there is three, the one on the far right is kinda camouflaged. And thanks for at least confirming one of my stupid observations.

lll

Verified Member
on ghosts side there are 3 coins
on pats 1 coin
hope this helps,,,,:)
ss47.jpg

ss48.jpg

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Rod.
Rod...couldn't you or one of our other fellow old guys figure it out..Pat and I are both 66 yrs. old with bad memories - we forgot to move the coins after spotting up balls...:D...but on the other hand..we're quite proud of the fact that in our last 4 sessions, nobody shot at the wrong pocket...:heh

- Ghost

Island Drive

Verified Member
Rod...couldn't you or one of our other fellow old guys figure it out..Pat and I are both 66 yrs. old with bad memories - we forgot to move the coins after spotting up balls...:D...but on the other hand..we're quite proud of the fact that in our last 4 sessions, nobody shot at the wrong pocket...:heh

- Ghost

"I got that going for me too'' class of 67 :lol

androd

Verified Member

- Ghost
Yes I had a suspicion, but didn't want to accuse you young guys of getting old.
Rod.
P.S. When you get a little older, if you can still play...: heh... you'll shoot at the wrong pocket once in a while.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
The Ghost Face Killah can't be expected to pay attention to minor details such as moving coins, etc. He has various assistants for these duties. He stays busy adjusting his bling and grill and counting all those presidential flash cards...