Ghost vs. Pat 26 wwyd

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I'm impressed - I thought it was no more than a 20% make maybe less. Further, that CB came dangerously close to the side pocket when you made the 1. I don't like my chances on this shot so I'd definitely pass.

I wouldn't kick the 14 either. I find it quite difficult to apply just the right amount of side on narrow angle shots like this one. It's so easy to overspin the CB here. I know Grady had a system where you actually aim to hit the rail to the left of the CB and apply 1 or 2 tips of right depending on circs. I'm pretty sure he explained the system on one of his tapes. Does anyone remember where to aim and how much spin to apply ?
Nothing to be impressed about, the flaw was your question and your perception of the shot for it is different. This is why, I set up the balls in the same position on each attempt and beings the cb is struck dead center then all I have to do is hit the same spot on the rail. This is a wwyd, so yes I will beat your odds. If you would of ask me the 1 in 5 odds on the 14 that would be different for I have to apply spin and it is not a big ball.

So my turn to ask, which shot is better; the kick combo 1, the kick on the 14, and I'll even add in the draw into the 1 off of the 7. For your level and the level of players you play.

None of this really matters, it is wwyd. It is what you can do on the first attempt. I picked the two rail kick as others, but then realized the draw off the 7 is not that hard, which is in the running, IMO. thanks, Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
Dave, I think you misread my suggestion or perhaps you're going color blind. I said 14 not 10, as in moving the cue ball maybe 4 inches. Kicking at the 10 is way beyond my imagination or ability.
Oh, that's different. LOL nevermind (said Roseanne Roseannadanna), but I still like chocolate 🤣

Last edited:

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
So my turn to ask, which shot is better; the kick combo 1, the kick on the 14, and I'll even add in the draw into the 1 off of the 7. For your level and the level of players you play.
To answer your question Whitey - I wouldn't play the draw shot off the 7 into the 1 as there is no shot to continue the run if I happen to pocket the 1 (the risk-reward is just isn't there). The kick combo looks a bit haphazard to me, too. A kick on the 14 has the potential if you hit it rail first for a shape on the 1 next so that's the one I'd choose out of the three.

I normally play against decent players so if I leave them an easy bank or a cut on the 14 in this situation, I wouldn't bet my money against them getting 5 and out from here.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
To answer your question Whitey - I wouldn't play the draw shot off the 7 into the 1 as there is no shot to continue the run if I happen to pocket the 1 (the risk-reward is just isn't there). The kick combo looks a bit haphazard to me, too. A kick on the 14 has the potential if you hit it rail first for a shape on the 1 next so that's the one I'd choose out of the three.

I normally play against decent players so if I leave them an easy bank or a cut on the 14 in this situation, I wouldn't bet my money against them getting 5 and out from here.
Thanks for the answer. The problem with your choice on the 14 kick is what % can you pull it off, because it is frozen to the rail, and if you hit rail first you will not get a good hit -1 pt. foul, plus the cb comes out and either gives up a shot on the 7 or a bank on either the 1 or the 14. That is why I stated you have to hit this one real close to perfect to come out ok. The down side in hitting the rail first is you probably just lost the game. In working on the shot, I sold out most every time.

The draw shot off the 7 and making the 1 opened up a bank on the 9 to play by the my hole, and playing cb to hide in upper right corner by the 12 ball.

I seen this shot when I first viewed this wwyd but did not post it, for I thought I'd catch to much of a shellacking. But after doing it 1st try I then posted the video.

But, I did not see the kick shots until I took this wwyd to the table again, for I felt there must be something we are missing. Tony would of seen these kicks immediately, that is the difference, this is what he does. Plus there is a huge difference in viewing these wwyd on site vs. on the table. Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
That's a helluva draw stroke there, son! Mike Massey would be proud of ya
Thanks Doc, I actually took it to the table again and got the cb to come back up the table to about the first diamond side rail. Wanted to get more of course, but I do not have the Massey stroke. It would be something to see what he could do with this shot! thanks for the compliment! Whitey

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Teaser >>> Nobody picked/identified Pat's shot o_O Pat hit it extremely good, and he was off by just 1/8" from it being a great trapping (<--- hint) shot.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Thanks for the answer. The problem with your choice on the 14 kick is what % can you pull it off, because it is frozen to the rail, and if you hit rail first you will not get a good hit -1 pt. foul, plus the cb comes out and either gives up a shot on the 7 or a bank on either the 1 or the 14. That is why I stated you have to hit this one real close to perfect to come out ok. The down side in hitting the rail first is you probably just lost the game. In working on the shot, I sold out most every time.

The draw shot off the 7 and making the 1 opened up a bank on the 9 to play by the my hole, and playing cb to hide in upper right corner by the 12 ball.

I seen this shot when I first viewed this wwyd but did not post it, for I thought I'd catch to much of a shellacking. But after doing it 1st try I then posted the video.

But, I did not see the kick shots until I took this wwyd to the table again, for I felt there must be something we are missing. Tony would of seen these kicks immediately, that is the difference, this is what he does. Plus there is a huge difference in viewing these wwyd on site vs. on the table. Whitey
I did not realise that the 14 was froze. If it is (and looking at the pic #2 it probably is), I'm not shooting it as the make % is quite low. Obviously, I was planning to hit the 14 firm enough for it to reach the pocket so the foul is out of the equation. Maybe your kick shot is not that bad in the end.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I'm impressed - I thought it was no more than a 20% make maybe less. Further, that CB came dangerously close to the side pocket when you made the 1. I don't like my chances on this shot so I'd definitely pass.

I wouldn't kick the 14 either. I find it quite difficult to apply just the right amount of side on narrow angle shots like this one. It's so easy to overspin the CB here. I know Grady had a system where you actually aim to hit the rail to the left of the CB and apply 1 or 2 tips of right depending on circs. I'm pretty sure he explained the system on one of his tapes. Does anyone remember where to aim and how much spin to apply ?
1 tip of english equates to one diamond across the width of the table 2 diamonds on the length

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
1 tip of english equates to one diamond across the width of the table 2 diamonds on the length
IMO Gradys sytem is the easiest to implement, and the most accurate I have come across. About the only thing I have no experience with, is the Zero X stuff from Tor Lowery , Everything of his is high level so I'm sure the kicking is also. I feel I kick as well as I will ever need to , so my time is better spent on other parts of my game.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Teaser >>> Nobody picked/identified Pat's shot o_O Pat hit it extremely good, and he was off by just 1/8" from it being a great trapping (<--- hint) shot.
Well if there is an easier shot than two outta the corner that will preserve Pats position, I will be glad to learn it...
If I could pick the cb up and place it somewhere.... that’s actually possible to get to by shooting it there from where it is right now, that would probably be frozen to the backside of the 14 ball... That would take a very good knowledge of the table’s speed, and drift...
I don’t really see anywhere else Pat might have tried to put the cb that hasn’t been mentioned by someone before... So I’ll guess he tried to soft kick at the 14 to freeze the cb on its backside...

catkins

Verified Member
I guess it is not terrible to thin the 7 and end up on the 10, I don't love the shot but it is an easy shot to stroke

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I'd say it would have to be played off of the 7 having cb going to side rail and rolling up on the 10.
Another shot is coming off the 7 drawing to the side rail and then spinning up behind the 12, but man this is difficult. Whitey

I just posted this right after Catkins! lol.

beatle

Verified Member
thats not bad either jeff.

but i dont like the two rail up to the corner as most favor. i can see being a hair off and him using the 9,6 to clear your side of the table and luck one in. plus some other options open for him if not perfect. and as i said before you could end up behind it and give an easy shot for his hole.

catkins

Verified Member
I'd say it would have to be played off of the 7 having cb going to side rail and rolling up on the 10.
Another shot is coming off the 7 drawing to the side rail and then spinning up behind the 12, but man this is difficult. Whitey
I guess we think alike when trying to find the allusive shot

vapros

Verified Member
I was hoping for a comment or two on my shot in post #5, but I didn't get a single one. How about it, Jeff? Actually, I could shoot it straight into the face of the 7 ball, with no cut at all - nearly as good.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I'd love to trade some pool talent for some of your musician talent! I sure would love to be able play an instrument! thanks, Whitey
Heh. If it didn't take a riverboat up the Klamath, and 3 days hike with an Indian guide, I'd come up there and we could trade some knowledge....😄