Ghost vs. Pat 26 wwyd

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

catkins

Verified Member
The two rail intentional is doable, but also missable and selloutable. I like just rolling on to the 14, frozen or not, leaving the cue ball as close to it as possible, and letting him figure out what to do next. My next opportunity will be better than this one.

I don't like the kick shot on the 14 because my odds of making it and having a shot on the 1 are worse, imo, than the odds of missing it and giving him a bank.
I honestly think almost every out come of the soft kick on the 14 leaves a clearance shot on the seven with the ability to draw to the rail close to the one and moves the game into uptable mode

Tobermory

Verified Member
You're right that freezing the cueball to the side of the 10 would be a good option, but to me I find it harder to control the speed kicking one rail vs multiple rails using natural running English, plus kicking to the 10 looks like a much smaller target. If executed, I like falling on the 10 too, but again that is harder for me to judge. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla ice cream. 😀
Dave, I think you misread my suggestion or perhaps you're going color blind. I said 14 not 10, as in moving the cue ball maybe 4 inches. Kicking at the 10 is way beyond my imagination or ability.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Here's the 2-3 rail intentional safety several people mentioned, including me. I didn't spot up all the balls as I only spotted the ones that mattered. I only took one take, good or bad, to simulate game conditions. This was the result; not behind the 12 (or 10 in this video) but pretty close, and it was easy to execute.

Very nice plus 2 touch Dave! A couple more inches, perfecto.

lll

Verified Member
[QUOTE="Dennis "Whitey" Young,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/byrUiogKkcJNYzMH9 this is the only offensive shot that I can come up with. If I have it set up correctly then of course I sell out if I do not make the 1. But the shot is there! I'd love to have the talent to masse' draw off the 7, and get some real cb action. Whitey
[/QUOTE]
You have been watching
tony chohan highlights i see :giggle:

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Here's the 2-3 rail intentional safety several people mentioned, including me. I didn't spot up all the balls as I only spotted the ones that mattered. I only took one take, good or bad, to simulate game conditions. This was the result; not behind the 12 (or 10 in this video) but pretty close, and it was easy to execute.

Nice shot. To get under the 12 you have to get real close to both the 6 and the 9 (7 and 14 in the video). Not really worth the risk imho

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I’d love my opponent to go for these kick combo shots all day long! Just out of curiosity Whitey - did it take you less than 5 tries to pocket the 1 ?
Yes, I had a surprisingly good % make on this shot. I was goofing around kicking at the 14 frozen on the foot rail. Then I played with kicking at the inside of the 7 to carom into the 1. But made this kick combination shot on the 2nd attempt, which has the good cb response, so I decided to video the shot for everyone's enjoyment. It is a beautiful shock! These wwyd's for me is not only the shot you would do, which I posted, but also what is there to open up and unlock the imaginative consciousness.

Pros/Top Players that play a lot develop an innate sense for the kick, just like a bank shot, you just see it, and in OP it is imperative that when coming off the side rail into the stack that you contact the intended ob precisely where you intended. I do not have this kicking sense for it takes putting in the hours/everyday.

The kick on the 14 is complex for it requires right spin be added to the cb, this then has to be combined with speed, and since it is not a big ball this then becomes a must to hit it near perfect or it sells out. Whereas this kick combo is straight center ball and if the 7 is contacted correctly the cb has a good path whether you make the 1 or not. I never did make the 14!

Drawing straight off the 7 into the 1 is easier, and if you contact the 1 slightly thin then cb leaves a hard cut on the 14 with the 1 most likely in the jaws. For those that are in stroke, then this shot a guy might contemplate. For those wondering, I made that 1st attempt, and I am not nearly in stroke.

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it, for sometimes I feel self conscious about doing some of these shots, and for that reason I almost did not post this shot! Whitey

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
Yes, I had a surprisingly good % make on this shot. I was goofing around kicking at the 14 frozen on the foot rail. Then I played with kicking at the inside of the 7 to carom into the 1. But made this kick combination shot on the 2nd attempt, which has the good cb response, so I decided to video the shot for everyone's enjoyment. It is a beautiful shock! These wwyd's for me is not only the shot you would do, which I posted, but also what is there to open up and unlock the imaginative consciousness.

Pros/Top Players that play a lot develop an innate sense for the kick, just like a bank shot, you just see it, and in OP it is imperative that when coming off the side rail into the stack that you contact the intended ob precisely where you intended. I do not have this kicking sense for it takes putting in the hours/everyday.

The kick on the 14 is complex for it requires right spin be added to the cb, this then has to be combined with speed, and sense it is not a big ball this then becomes a must to hit it near perfect or it sells out. Whereas this kick combo is straight center ball and if the 7 is contacted correctly the cb has a good path whether you make the 1 or not.

Drawing straight off the 7 into the 1 is easier, and if you contact the 1 slightly thin then cb leaves a hard cut on the 14 with the 1 most likely in the jaws. For those that are in stroke, then this shot a guy might contemplate.

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it, for sometimes I feel self conscious about doing some of these shots, and for that reason I almost did not post this shot! Whitey
I see next time I’m in Oregon I’ll need ball or two👀. Good shooting and thanks for another great video

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member

The kick on the 14 is complex for it requires right spin be added to the cb, this then has to be combined with speed, and since it is not a big ball this then becomes a must to hit it near perfect or it sells out. Whereas this kick combo is straight center ball and if the 7 is contacted correctly the cb has a good path whether you make the 1 or not. I never did make the 14!

Drawing straight off the 7 into the 1 is easier, and if you contact the 1 slightly thin then cb leaves a hard cut on the 14 with the 1 most likely in the jaws. For those that are in stroke, then this shot a guy might contemplate. For those wondering, I made that 1st attempt, and I am not nearly in stroke.

I'm impressed - I thought it was no more than a 20% make maybe less. Further, that CB came dangerously close to the side pocket when you made the 1. I don't like my chances on this shot so I'd definitely pass.

I wouldn't kick the 14 either. I find it quite difficult to apply just the right amount of side on narrow angle shots like this one. It's so easy to overspin the CB here. I know Grady had a system where you actually aim to hit the rail to the left of the CB and apply 1 or 2 tips of right depending on circs. I'm pretty sure he explained the system on one of his tapes. Does anyone remember where to aim and how much spin to apply ?