Ghost vs. Pat 20 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
My shot --- my pocket is at the top left --- ball score is 2-0, Ghost ahead --- I badly wanted to shoot the 9-12 combo and shape up for the 1 next, but my cueball would have to be perfect to not sell out the 14 if I didn't make the 12 - so since my name's not Shane or Robocop :frus, I didn't shoot it --- wwyd ----->

Attachments

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
use the bridge and shoot the 2 into the left side of the 14 ball banking the 14 towards your side. The 2 ball caroms off the 14, hits the foot rail and over into the stack balls pushing stuff towards your pocket.

Draw the CB just a little up to the 3rd diamond hiding behind the 9.

lll

Verified Member
i would make his 14 and draw back to behind the mass of the cluster
the 2 should knock a few balls toward my side
bad roll i leave a window for an "easy" cross bank
ghost pat 20 wwyd.jpg

lll

Verified Member
use the bridge and shoot the 2 into the left side of the 14 ball banking the 14 towards your side. The 2 ball caroms off the 14, hits the foot rail and over into the stack balls pushing stuff towards your pocket.

Draw the CB just a little up to the 3rd diamond hiding behind the 9.
cincy i was diagramming as you were posting

i agree...:)

Nick B

Verified Member
Option 1A - Conventional protection shot. Thin the 2 Ball (I'm left handed and either way the bridge is my friend) and tuck cueball behind 14. No return bank and the 6 is hidden. He now is probably forced to push away the 14 if executed correctly or he takes an intentional foul.

Option 1B - Put the one on my side. Best case scenario it hangs in my pockets and I double him up. If I make it and get the right angle I just might take a flyer on the 8 (probably not). I'm confident with the thin hit on the one I can regulate my cue ball to the back rail with confidence. Worse case I give him the 2-14 combo for one point.

Attachments

lll

Verified Member
Option 1A - Conventional protection shot. Thin the 2 Ball (I'm left handed and either way the bridge is my friend) and tuck cueball behind 14. No return bank and the 6 is hidden. He now is probably forced to push away the 14 if executed correctly or he takes an intentional foul.

Option 1B - Put the one on my side. Best case scenario it hangs in my pockets and I double him up. If I make it and get the right angle I just might take a flyer on the 8 (probably not). I'm confident with the thin hit on the one I can regulate my cue ball to the back rail with confidence. Worse case I give him the 2-14 combo for one point.
nick
i like 1 more than 2 but 1 still leaves his balls in a threatening position

Nick B

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Pat 20 wwyd

nick

i like 1 more than 2 but 1 still leaves his balls in a threatening position

Not if he's forced to push it away. Then he does the heavy lifting for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneRock

Verified Member
Neutralize his advantage by playing the combo now before he plays it later.

wincardona

Verified Member
This is a type of a situation where you will be under pressure until the 14ball is dealt with. You have a perfect situation to deal with the 14ball now and possibly manufacture a stronger position in the process. Yes, you can choose the 1ball and double your opponent up if it's not pocketed but if it is missed he will have several good options to put you in deep trouble. If you do pocket the 1ball, you don't figure to have an easy shot on the 7ball, and then you will be faced with more pressure dealing with the 7ball. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if even top players chose the 14ball option here, that's how important it is to remove the threat of the 14ball now when you have the opportunity.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member

Option A would be a viable option if the angle allowed you to comfortably position the cue ball where you suggested, however, I don't believe the angle is there to comfortably position the cue ball where it needs to be. If it requires a perfect hit to accomplish your shot, then you should look for another option because the trade off is too one sided.

Dr. Bill

Henry

Verified Member
My shot --- my pocket is at the top left --- ball score is 2-0, Ghost ahead --- I badly wanted to shoot the 9-12 combo and shape up for the 1 next, but my cueball would have to be perfect to not sell out the 14 if I didn't make the 12 - so since my name's not Shane or Robocop :frus, I didn't shoot it --- wwyd ----->
Cut the 1 in

OneRock

Verified Member
To all of you who want to shoot at something here, Let me offer this special pool stick; it never misses and it always gets you position.

Attachments