Ghost vs. Pat 2 wwyd

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Pat 2 wwyd

The bank on the 10 was my first thought also. If I was going to shoot the eighth though… It looks like it could be shot straight into my hole with draw which will bring the cue ball over to my side giving me a shot on the 10, or if I don't make the 8, still hiding you behind those three balls so you can't see your seven.

darmoose

Verified Member
The bank on the 10 was my first thought also. If I was going to shoot the eighth though… It looks like it could be shot straight into my hole with draw which will bring the cue ball over to my side giving me a shot on the 10, or if I don't make the 8, still hiding you behind those three balls so you can't see your seven.
Something seems to be FUBAR a bit here:confused::confused:. Please explain

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Pat 2 wwyd

Something seems to be FUBAR a bit here:confused::confused:. Please explain

Damn! Apparently I was shooting at both pockets..... In the same turn...In the same post! Fubar is the perfect description.

wincardona

Verified Member
Playing the 7ball rail first is obviously the correct shot providing he can see the rail on the other side of the side pocket, however, I don't believe that would be the case or the Ghost wouldn't have put this position up for discussion. Lets say that the shooter can't see the rail to play the 7ball rail first..I agree tough spot.

Banking the 10ball looks to me like a very tough shot considering the distance and the thinness of the hit required to execute the shot, plus there's a kiss possibility if the shot is not struck well.:sorry Maybe it's not the time to shoot such a demanding shot, i'll save that shot and get back to it if I can't find anything I like better.

I really don't see any good options coming off the 10ball so i'm going to leave that ball alone as much as I don't want to do it, after all it's still a tough spot to be in and I really don't like coming off the 10ball. You have to defend against the 7ball return bank and you have accuracy problems if you try to bank it. I'll pass that shot for now, but like I said I may go back to it because it is doable but scary. I would like to further the 7ball in some way off the 8ball but there's nothing there that I like, pass that thought too. there's nothing available with coming off the 2ball or 9ball, so i'll cross those two balls off the menu. That leaves only the 13ball and 14ball to figure something out with, slim pickens. I can envision coming off the 13ball and hitting the rail before the 10ball with enough speed to position the cue ball around the score counter on the bottom rail. From there i'll take away the return bank on the 7ball..kinda..and hope to get back to the table. This option is very risky in two ways, even though there may be enough mass with the lined balls to deflect the cue ball to the rail in front of the 10ball it's marginal.:eek: Plus you are going to leave a possible return bank with the 7ball if the shot is not executed well.:confused: Not really in love with that shot either. That leaves the 14ball, and yes there is a shot coming off the 14ball that I like, i'll explain.

By hitting ..rail first.. before the 14ball thinly..I can then hit the side rail and go toward the 7ball with the cue ball and possibly land on top or very close to the 7ball or I can fall short of the 7ball on the side rail a foot short of the 7ball. Nothing wrong with landing there as well. There's a large margin for error with this shot so it plays very comfortably, and you don't leave any thing for your opponent to improve his position , or more importantly to run some balls off of.

My shot would be to go rail first off the 14ball, and settle for just getting out of trouble for the time being.

By the way, The Ghost must have played a good shot off the 2ball to put his opponent in a tough spot, just sayin.:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
Banking the 10ball looks to me like a very tough shot considering the distance and the thinness of the hit required to execute the shot, plus there's a kiss possibility if the shot is not struck well.:sorry Maybe it's not the time to shoot such a demanding shot, i'll save that shot and get back to it if I can't find anything I like better.

My shot would be to go rail first off the 14ball, and settle for just getting out of trouble for the time being.

By the way, The Ghost must have played a good shot off the 2ball to put his opponent in a tough spot, just sayin.:D

Dr. Bill
Geez that B'Day put a hitch in your getalong.
You gotta bank the 10 ball. :)
Rod.

straightback

Verified Member
This new position is tough because the natural inclination is to try to preserve the position of the 7. But, you also don't want to give the guy the 10 ball.

This is one of those layouts that will likely divide the readership. Some might want to double the guy up on the long rail and not give the guy the ten. That tends to give up a free pop on the seven ball bank.

Others will probably say, "Ah, to hell with it. Our positions are both eroding, might as well take a shot while I got the dice." In that event, the 8 ball ticky or 8-7 combo might look appealing.

wincardona

Verified Member
Geez that B'Day put a hitch in your getalong.
You gotta bank the 10 ball. :)
Rod.
Rod, I made my decision based on the "eye ball test" with banking the 10ball, it looked like a tough spot to be in from that perspective but when you said that you gotta bank the 10ball I went to my table and set the shot up six times and shot it. I kissed one time, I crossed it to my side four times safely and made it the other time. Based off of the some what small test sample..you gotta bank the 10ball.:eek:;)

But it wasn't easy.

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
Rod, I made my decision based on the "eye ball test" with banking the 10ball, it looked like a tough spot to be in from that perspective but when you said that you gotta bank the 10ball I went to my table and set the shot up six times and shot it. I kissed one time, I crossed it to my side four times safely and made it the other time. Based off of the some what small test sample..you gotta bank the 10ball.:eek:;)

But it wasn't easy.

Dr. Bill
That's the way I made the decision on the double bank in the other thread.
I don't have a home table, I have another place to stack laundry to be folded. :)

Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
This new position is tough because the natural inclination is to try to preserve the position of the 7. But, you also don't want to give the guy the 10 ball.

This is one of those layouts that will likely divide the readership. Some might want to double the guy up on the long rail and not give the guy the ten. (Dan, you know that's not an option) That tends to give up a free pop on the seven ball bank.

Others will probably say, "Ah, to hell with it. Our positions are both eroding, might as well take a shot while I got the dice." In that event, the 8 ball ticky (If available the best choice by far)or 8-7 combo might look appealing. (not really, but I guess possible)
Banking the 10ball for a large percentage of players would be the right shot, but maybe not for every one. Like I mentioned I set the shot up and had good success with it but it was a tough hit, maybe too tough for some. To make an informed decision you would then have to go to the table and experience the shot for what it is as opposed to eye balling it to make a decision. For those who don't like the shot with banking the 10ball try my rail first shot with the 14ball. This shot gets you away from a shot with the 10ball that you may not feel comfortable with in shooting it, and it's always good to have another way out as an escape option. Plus you can develop the feel for a shot that doesn't come up often but often enough to make a difference.

In the game of Chess this shot would be comparable to moving a pawn. Little risk, waiting for an opening.
Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
That's the way I made the decision on the double bank in the other thread.
I don't have a home table, I have another place to stack laundry to be folded. :)

Rod.
Un stack some of that money you put away years ago and put an addition on your home to put up a table to play on and set up shots on :D Just a thought. You gotta do that.:lol

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
Un stack some of that money you put away years ago and put an addition on your home to put up a table to play on and set up shots on :D Just a thought. You gotta do that.:lol

Dr. Bill
I already used that money to "burn a wet mule."
Rod.
P.S. Guys in the pool room said so and so passed away.
He had all that money but he died broke.
What a shame.:(
I said "looks like he had it timed perfectly" :)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
And now after my missed bank, what should Pat do here - he's in a somewhat problematic spot...
From here I'm rolling the eight past the seven and blocking the 10 with the stack. Depending on the rails, it might be a hanger

wincardona

Verified Member
I already used that money to "burn a wet mule."
Rod.
P.S. Guys in the pool room said so and so passed away.
He had all that money but he died broke.
What a shame.:(
I said "looks like he had it timed perfectly" :)
I always like listening to your scholarly knowledge, you're a wise man in a lot of ways, a guy could learn something from you..you know.:D

By the way, what does..to burn a wet mule.. mean?:eek:

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
I always like listening to your scholarly knowledge, you're a wise man in a lot of ways, a guy could learn something from you..you know.:D

By the way, what does..to burn a wet mule.. mean?:eek:

Dr. Bill
It takes a lot of paper. :D

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Banking the 10ball for a large percentage of players would be the right shot, but maybe not for every one. Like I mentioned I set the shot up and had good success with it but it was a tough hit, maybe too tough for some. To make an informed decision you would then have to go to the table and experience the shot for what it is as opposed to eye balling it to make a decision. For those who don't like the shot with banking the 10ball try my rail first shot with the 14ball. This shot gets you away from a shot with the 10ball that you may not feel comfortable with in shooting it, and it's always good to have another way out as an escape option. Plus you can develop the feel for a shot that doesn't come up often but often enough to make a difference.

Dr. Bill
Billy your even dogging it from the chair these days:frus There are only 2 good options here and coming off the 13 ball when the balls favor your opponent is not it:sorry.. banking the 10 ball is first choice...HOWEVER if it isn't possible for some unknown reason(which a kiss isn't there) then the next best choice is DEFINITELY playing the 8 ball into the 7 ball... now pay close attention boys and girls this is where today's lesson to be learned is... By playing the 8 ball into the 7 ball you will put 2 BALLS!! by your pocket WHILE HOOKING your opponent from the 10 ball. NOW your opponent has to do something to move BOTH balls by YOUR pocket while not leaving you a bank on that nice juicy 10 ball.... GOOD LUCK.... This concludes today's lesson... now for the classes homework assignment... Please write an 8 page paper on why it isn't a good move to take an intentional foul when you are already on 2 fouls!!:lol:D

wincardona

Verified Member
Billy your even dogging it from the chair these days:frus There are only 2 good options here and coming off the 13 ball when the balls favor your opponent is not it:sorry.. banking the 10 ball is first choice...HOWEVER if it isn't possible for some unknown reason(which a kiss isn't there) then the next best choice is DEFINITELY playing the 8 ball into the 7 ball... now pay close attention boys and girls this is where today's lesson to be learned is... By playing the 8 ball into the 7 ball you will put 2 BALLS!! by your pocket WHILE HOOKING your opponent from the 10 ball. NOW your opponent has to do something to move BOTH balls by YOUR pocket while not leaving you a bank on that nice juicy 10 ball.... GOOD LUCK.... This concludes today's lesson... now for the classes homework assignment... Please write an 8 page paper on why it isn't a good move to take an intentional foul when you are already on 2 fouls!!:lol:D
You're a funny guy, i'll concede to banking the 10ball as a good option, you're right there, however, playing the combination on the 8ball has it's problems. The speed that you need to hit the shot with to play a good cue ball will put either the 8ball or 7ball in a possible pricey position. For certain it will position one of the balls out of play for your pocket, so managing from the position you will be left in may not be like you seem to think it will, it could be costly to you and back fire. But then again you're the same guy who wanted to double bank the third ball in the other thread, but i'll give you this much..this shot with the 8ball combo is much better than your suggestion in the other thread on double banking the third ball. For what ever that's worth.:heh

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You're a funny guy, i'll concede to banking the 10ball as a good option, you're right there, however, playing the combination on the 8ball has it's problems. The speed that you need to hit the shot with to play a good cue ball will put either the 8ball or 7ball in a possible pricey position. For certain it will position one of the balls out of play for your pocket, so managing from the position you will be left in may not be like you seem to think it will, it could be costly to you and back fire. But then again you're the same guy who wanted to double bank the third ball in the other thread, but i'll give you this much..this shot with the 8ball combo is much better than your suggestion in the other thread on double banking the third ball. For what ever that's worth.:heh

Dr. Bill
LMFAO.... As far as the double bank goes the shot isn't for everyone.. that shot requires ALOT of talent to execute.. you realized that and looked elsewhere for your shot(it's ok.. a man's got to know his limitations):D
P.S. Im just glad you stopped taking those intentionals when you were on two.. your getting better with age

Scrzbill

Verified Member
Yours is close to the correct shot:eek: but trying to keep your cue ball hidden AND lining up two balls in the hole is too much.:sorry The angle isn't there and you leave a chance of a shot to the other hole if the 8 or the 7 do not co operate and slide off towards the other hole.:heh