Ghost vs. Pat 2 wwyd

LSJohn

Verified Member
2. The shot I would choose here is crossing the 7 ball not trying to make it but instead have it sit on my end rail around where the 3 coins are and playing the cue ball up table to the corner pocket on my side that has 2 balls sitting by it.
That's my shot.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
I like it

I like it

The trick is to look like you are doing something else and when your opponent looks away for one second then you shoot the ticky -- it happens pretty fast so there is often a little doubt about "what did he just do?" lol
I'm definitely going to practice this one and look for more shots like this in my game. I do play some tickys when there are more balls to hide behind. Although in my regular game i try to let him see me play lock down shots. He already asked me the other day why he always looses the flip when he's not looking...lol
And Meech you old codger i can't wait until Derby to see who ends up needing a one pocket spot...lol

Island Drive

Verified Member
I'm definitely going to practice this one and look for more shots like this in my game. I do play some tickys when there are more balls to hide behind. Although in my regular game i try to let him see me play lock down shots. He already asked me the other day why he always looses the flip when he's not looking...lol
And Meech you old codger i can't wait until Derby to see who ends up needing a one pocket spot...lol
:heh.....................Let's get that room situation done this week eh?

ulikastr8pool

Well-Known-Member
The way I see it there are 3 shots worth considering..banking the 2 ball isn't one of them. #1. Kicking the 10 ball isn't bad but the 2 ball is blocking the natural angle so you will have to spin it.. # 2. The shot I would choose here is crossing the 7 ball not trying to make it but instead have it sit on my end rail around where the 3 coins are and playing the cue ball up table to the corner pocket on my side that has 2 balls sitting by it.,, and finally a 3rd option depending if the ball is in the way is to bank the 8 ball toward the 10 ball and drawing off the side over to my side and using the 3 spotted balls to block him from seeing the 7 ball.
Crossing the 7 to about the middle of the foot rail and controlling the rock up by those two balls near the top right corner pocket is the choice I like the best. It depends how natural it lays.

Double banking the 7 towards the 10 and hopefully using those 3 spot balls as blockers could also be a possibility. Not by any means a strong move, unless you luck the ten in or the cue ball ends up perfectly behind those 3 spot balls. But, it moves the 7 ball and sends it to your side without any real return shot.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
my idea of what you played

my idea of what you played

I would bank the eight ball leaving the white ball on the foot rail close to straight in on his ball. Your pocket is pretty big from that bank angle and dropping the cue ball down on the rail is easy with pocket speed on the bank.

wincardona

Verified Member
cross the seven with the emphasis on being whitey bumping those spotted balls
:)
Pretty shot but I don't think the 7ball will be fast enough for the shot to be effective. If you try to position the 7ball near your pocket you figure to sell out the 8ball because your cue ball will be too fast. The 7ball needs to be near your pocket once it's rested, and the cue ball has to strike the string at a soft pace. I don't see that happening with the angle I see. Your shot would play very good if the 7ball was higher on the rail and the cue ball was 6" more toward the center of the table. That angle would speed up the 7ball and slow down the cue ball, exactly how the shot should be executed..imo. However, it's a pretty and effective shot when laying right.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
After reviewing all the shots that were mentioned the shot I like best is Hackers first choice, banking the 7ball to the short rail near where he say's and controlling the cue ball up table toward the two hanging balls. However, his other options were very bad, banking the 8ball is too risky because the angle for the shot is not available, then double banking the third ball is ludicrous. Kissing problems..speed problems...accuracy problems. :eek:

I would either kick the 10ball, or bank the 2ball, much before even considering ..double banking the third ball.:sorry That's a Keith McCready shot..love ya Keith.

Dr. Bill

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
Thats the problem with these camera angles

Thats the problem with these camera angles

After reviewing all the shots that were mentioned the shot I like best is Hackers first choice, banking the 7ball to the short rail near where he say's and controlling the cue ball up table toward the two hanging balls. However, his other options were very bad, banking the 8ball is too risky because the angle for the shot is not available, then double banking the third ball is ludicrous. Kissing problems..speed problems...accuracy problems. :eek:

I would either kick the 10ball, or bank the 2ball, much before even considering ..double banking the third ball.:sorry That's a Keith McCready shot..love ya Keith.

Dr. Bill
With some camera angles, it hard to tell where the bank angles are. I think the eight ball is farther down table than it looks almost even with the diamond past the side and shooting it pocket speed from this angle will lengthen it considerably on a GC. To to me the bank angle looks a whole ball clear so it takes a unintentional kiss out of it and looks like the 2 is a natural backstop for holding the cue ball on the rail. If the cue ball holds on the short side of the 2 it leaves him almost straight in. Of Course as Island Drive says i need a spot from everybody....:eek:

I wanted to add a little to my post as i am new here. Most everybody on here won't know me and in my posts i don't want to come off as a nobody know it all. I am here to learn and to have fun so take my posts with a grain of salt. I know who a lot of you are and i have to utmost respect for everybody's opinions. As for me I learned how to play one pocket by watching and getting advice from Buddy and Blackie. I guess that's why i would never kick long rail at the 10 ball. Blackie would probably roll over in his grave...lol I play in regular sessions with Buddy as my sparring partner so having him as a mentor really has really showed in my game after all these years. I will be at the Derby. I'll be the old guy looking for big spots for small stakes...lol Good luck to you all. John

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I looked at the other mentioned shots, and decided that I liked banking the 2 here...but not necessarily to combinate the 10 as Billy suggested..cuz actually if you look at the screen again, there's room for the 2 to be banked in - so I thought of it as a two-way shot - I'm shooting to make the 2, but if I overcut it I can maybe make the 10...so, winds up, I didn't execute well enough and undercut it instead..:(...

I controlled the cueball dead perfect, leaving the 8-7 doubled up, but I banked the 2 short by a coupla inches - that stun-draw stroke at firm speed on the 2 shortened up the bank angle on me more than I wanted, but I did have to make whitey the priority...here's how it ended up ----->

Attachments

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
Put me in Keith and Hackers camp, No kiss, a possibility to scratch past the 9 ball. :eek:
Rod.
Rod, the way I see it there is a kiss, I shot it four times with inside english and kissed four times. There's also an accuracy demand put on the shot that needs to be met along with a possible cue ball control problem. Set it up and try it.

Playing the third ball you need to control both the cue ball and the OB as you do banking the 2ball, which shot do you feel is easier to control both balls off of? I believe it's banking the 2ball by far.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Rod, the way I see it there is a kiss, I shot it four times with inside english and kissed four times. There's also an accuracy demand put on the shot that needs to be met along with a possible cue ball control problem. Set it up and try it.

Dr. Bill
Yeah Billy....I only looked at that shot for a second, and rejected it, for looking to be very likely, and maybe positively, a kiss.

- Ghost

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
Billy if you read my post as far as banking the 8 ball and also the last spotted ball it depended on the angle, rails, cloth etc.. HOWEVER you will also note that like I said banking the 2 ball was a dead loser.. The results speak for themselves

androd

Verified Member

Playing the third ball you need to control both the cue ball and the OB as you do banking the 2ball, which shot do you feel is easier to control both balls off of? I believe it's banking the 2ball by far.

Dr. Bill
Yeah Billy....I only looked at that shot for a second, and rejected it, for looking to be very likely, and maybe positively, a kiss.

- Ghost
Well you guys know I'll shoot at a white flag in wartime.
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
Billy if you read my post as far as banking the 8 ball and also the last spotted ball it depended on the angle, rails, cloth etc.. HOWEVER you will also note that like I said banking the 2 ball was a dead loser.. The results speak for themselves

Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
After reviewing all the shots that were mentioned the shot I like best is Hackers first choice, banking the 7ball to the short rail near where he say's and controlling the cue ball up table toward the two hanging balls. However, his other options were very bad, banking the 8ball is too risky because the angle for the shot is not available, then double banking the third ball is ludicrous. Kissing problems..speed problems...accuracy problems.

I would either kick the 10ball, or bank the 2ball, much before even considering ..double banking the third ball. That's a Keith McCready shot..love ya Keith.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well you guys know I'll shoot at a white flag in wartime.
Rod.
Yes Rod, but what I want to know is will you open up the car door when you're stopped at a downtown stoplight and a young lady in a mini-skirt comes up to the car and asks you if you - "want a date?"...:eek:...:D...:heh

- Ghost

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
Yes Rod, but what I want to know is will you open up the car door when you're stopped at a downtown stoplight and a young lady in a mini-skirt comes up to the car and asks you if you - "want a date?"...:eek:...:D...:heh

- Ghost
Are you sayin' that shootin' at a white flag is just askin' to get screwed? :heh

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
continuing...

continuing...

And now after my missed bank, what should Pat do here - he's in a somewhat problematic spot...

Attachments

onepockethacker

Verified Member
And now after my missed bank, what should Pat do here - he's in a somewhat problematic spot...
Well if you are lucky enough that he doesn't see the free bank on the 10 ball or the free 8 off the rail into the 7 ball and roll forward so you can't see the 10 ball....maybe his tip will fall off and he will quit