Ghost vs. Pat 16 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
For those of you who are thinking of taking the 2-rail intentional over to the 12ball area...

Careful, don't accidentally clip the 5 on your way by and lose the game..:)...and if you leave me on top of the 12 - I can bank it straight back while doubling you up behind 3-11-6...if you end up under the 12 - I cut it in...and if you don't leave me any shot at the 12, you'll leave me the simple escape of caroming off the top of the 10, then to the long rail, then dropping you down to leave you where you just were.

- Ghost

PS, And why are we only hearing crickets/getting no replies from the rest of our usual wwyd posters? - I've seen their names logged on
I guess it must be cuz they can't find a shot..:heh...:D

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I'll be honest, this is a very tough position to get out of. The best shot (for me) might be to kick 1 rail back into the 14 and make it..really focus on making it. If you make it, you are in a better position to play safe from there.

For those of you who are thinking of taking the 2-rail intentional over to the 12ball area...

Careful, don't accidentally clip the 5 on your way by and lose the game..:)...and if you leave me on top of the 12 - I can bank it straight back while doubling you up behind 3-11-6...if you end up under the 12 - I cut it in...and if you don't leave me any shot at the 12, you'll leave me the simple escape of caroming off the top of the 10, then to the long rail, then dropping you down to leave you where you just were.

- Ghost

PS, And why are we only hearing crickets/getting no replies from the rest of our usual wwyd posters?... I guess it must be cuz they can't find a shot..:heh...:D

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I'll be honest, this is a very tough position to get out of. The best shot (for me) might be to kick 1 rail back into the 14 and make it..really focus on making it. If you make it, you are in a better position to play safe from there.
When I get confused I usually try to find something offensive. As long as I can do the kick without having to use right english, that's probably what I would do. I could butcher it and sell out a return bank on the 14, but I doubt it.

jtompilot

Verified Member
I might shoot the 7 thin into the 10 with follow, QB one rail on top of the 12. 7 and 10 both on your side with the QB long

libertyclick

I can only assume my suggestion is so far detached from reality that charitably explaining how dumb it is is impossible!

cory in dc said:
When I get confused I usually try to find something offensive. As long as I can do the kick without having to use right english, that's probably what I would do. I could butcher it and sell out a return bank on the 14, but I doubt it.
I think this is probably the right shot.

LSJohn

Verified Member
detached from reality
No ,nothing wrong with it and Ghost mentioned coming off the 10 in response from the 12 corner. IMO, the only "problem" is that Ghost asked for a way to improve your position, and I don't see anything that does. For a pure simple safety, it's hard to beat drawing off the 7 behind the 14, but I don't really want to move the 5 or 10 so I'd try to go between them with the 7.

BTW, your "8" is really the 6.

straightback

Verified Member

- Ghost

PS, And why are we only hearing crickets/getting no replies from the rest of our usual wwyd posters? - I've seen their names logged on
I guess it must be cuz they can't find a shot..:heh...:D
True, but something must be done in order to preserve the positional advantage and keep the heat on. That, plus there are really no other workable shots that accomplish this. That's my shot, final answer. (Your effective "alley" when kicking there is at least a foot wide, you'd have to really miscalculate to run into the 5.)

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Why knock balls away from your hole? Unless the 1 ball is too close, simply fan the left side of the 7 ball, which should only move the 7 less than a diamond, and try to freeze whitey on the head rail. Unless he's SVB, he wouldn't be able shoot the 9 from that leave for fear of selling out the game.

~Doc

Jakie

Verified Member
I would take an intentional scratch by playing the cue 2rails between the 5 and 6 up table near the stripe (14 I think). Puts you opponent in a tough spot.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I can't tell if the 14 is froze to the foot rail, but even if it is, I would lightly bump it and freeze to it, shooting straight at it trying not to move it at all and leaving the Ghost with no offense, and not much in the way of bettering his position. Sometimes buying a little time for a better response position by doing something simple is the best way out. Jmo

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I can't tell if the 14 is froze to the foot rail, but even if it is, I would lightly bump it and freeze to it, shooting straight at it trying not to move it at all and leaving the Ghost with no offense, and not much in the way of bettering his position. Sometimes buying a little time for a better response position by doing something simple is the best way out. Jmo
If you let him see the 1 or 7, he's gonna blast them all out and draw back behind the 14, thus losing the position.

baby huey

Verified Member
I am not moving any of the balls by my pocket. I am taking a two rail kick between the five and the six up table towards the ten ball. If it ends up an intentional scratch then it's OK with me. I might actually not scratch if I hit the third rail and move the ten to the bottom rail. Regardless he is in deep dodo.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I would take an intentional scratch by playing the cue 2rails between the 5 and 6 up table near the stripe (14 I think). Puts you opponent in a tough spot.

I am taking a two rail kick between the five and the six up table towards the ten ball. If it ends up an intentional scratch then it's OK with me. I might actually not scratch if I hit the third rail and move the ten to the bottom rail. Regardless he is in deep dodo.

Ahem...I discussed :D that option in a post last night..as copied below ----->

PS, And it's impossible for me to be put in deep doo-doo over by dere <---explanations of that given by request...:heh

- Ghost

Ho hum...and I'm misquoted once again - again, by LSJohnny...:rolleyes: ----->

the only "problem" is that Ghost asked for a way to improve your position, and I don't see anything that does.
Brother John...go back and read my original posts...I asked: can Pat maintain his position here - not can he, improve his position...:cool:

- Specter

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
He's gonna have a triple hard time drawing the rock from on top of the 14 ball
Jmo
From on top of the 14, he will have an angle on one of them, they are spaced enough apart. I'm not disagreeing however, this is a tough position and maybe it could work out.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
If you let him see the 1 or 7, he's gonna blast them all out and draw back behind the 14, thus losing the position.
Agreed - that shot gives up your position...and more likely, is that it would be the 1 and 6 balls that I clear out.

beatle

Verified Member
you either leave him up table,or hidden, or make or leave a ball in your jaws,

if you leave him down table all your balls are ending up table within a few rounds where you dont want them.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
you either leave him up table,or hidden, or make or leave a ball in your jaws,

if you leave him down table all your balls are ending up table within a few rounds where you dont want them.
Agreed, the crux of the problem is how to get up there. You want to protect the 6 as well so uptable behind traffic is desirable. The 9, with the right angle, is also possible for him to shoot and get position to run out.

In a difficult position where you can't win with a shot, but can easily lose shooting it, you want to keep looking until you find something. The 2 rail kick through the gap can cost you the game, but it does offer a chance to win it as well. But this is advanced 1p here so I'm still waiting on Billy to help us!

LSJohn

Verified Member
Ahem...I discussed :D that option in a post last night..as copied below ----->

PS, And it's impossible for me to be put in deep doo-doo over by dere <---explanations of that given by request...:heh

Ho hum...and I'm misquoted once again - again, by LSJohnny...:rolleyes: ----->

Brother John...go back and read my original posts...I asked: can Pat maintain his position here - not can he, improve his position...:cool:

- Specter
Hey, nobody else reads your posts; why should I have to on the pittance you're paying me? :p

:sorry

wincardona

Verified Member
I see a shot that I would consider shooting. If the 7ball is lined up to shoot into the right edge of the 10ball I would shoot the 7ball to cut the 10ball to the left and follow the cue. ball to the side rail past the side pocket and float to the top rail. As long as my cue ball ends up on or near the top rail I would like my shot.

Dr. Bill