Ghost vs. Pat 16 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Pat's shot --- his pocket is at the bottom left --- ball score is 3-2 Ghost ahead, Pat going to 7, Ghost going to 9 --- Pat has superb ball/table position here, but how can he keep, protect, or improve his position? --- wsPd/wwyd ----->

Attachments

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I might just kick gently at the fourteen ball. Let the cue come to rest right up against it...

beatle

Verified Member
skin off the 7 and leave you behind the 10.

or rail first bank in the 14 and come up a little and run a few balls on your ash.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Pat's shot --- his pocket is at the bottom left --- ball score is 3-2 Ghost ahead, Pat going to 7, Ghost going to 9 --- Pat has superb ball/table position here, but is there any way he can keep/protect his position? --- wsPd/wwyd ----->
I can't decide whether it is worth a ball to get CB where I want it: two rails out of my corner to the long rail near the 12, trying to hit the 12 off the 3rd rail. I think that's the best place to be, but is it worth a ball?

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
LS, I like your shot, but you have to really make sure you don't clip the 5 on the way up table. What about sending the 7 up table and drawing the CB to the rail next to the 14.---Smitty

libertyclick

I can't decide whether it is worth a ball to get CB where I want it: two rails out of my corner to the long rail near the 12, trying to hit the 12 off the 3rd rail. I think that's the best place to be, but is it worth a ball?
If the 10 ball wasn't there and I was confident to miss the 5 coming out of the corner I like that shot. But the return play is to come off the ten and leave us behind the 14, or at least lower than the 1 ball.

Therefore I would take the foul by pushing the 1 ball about 2-3 inches. That makes neither the 1 or the 7 bankable in his hole anymore. He can take out a ball now, but he has to choose 1 of four, and I'll surely have a better way to get in a good spot next time. Now that the 1 is right in the path of his reply shot off the 10, being up by the 12 will be a good option next time.

The other thing moving the one does: when I try to get up by the 12 later, or any other various good places in that corner of the table, I can't leave a stop shot on the 8 - the 9 has to hide it. Moving the 1 makes the stop shot less productive and more risky. The closer the 1 is to the rail, the easier it is to hit with the eight coming around the corner with accuracy. Farther away from the rail, and he can't aim the eight into the '7-1' anymore, it has to be either the 7, or the 1, or he'll have to follow the cue ball into my corner, which means he won't be hitting it as hard, which means I will still have all those balls in my quadrant.

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
Two-rail kick at the ball up by Ghost's top pocket. Might hit it and not foul, might hook him with the ball. Just try to not let him see the 1 or 6 and he's got problems. It is an odd position to be in and I would ordinarily think to myself, "How did this layout happen?" However, I see the Windy City Specter is involved.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Pat 16 wwyd

I agree with the 2rail kick uptable at the 12. Even if I don't hit it, it's worth it IMO.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Pat's shot --- his pocket is at the bottom left --- ball score is 3-2 Ghost ahead, Pat going to 7, Ghost going to 9 --- Pat has superb ball/table position here, but is there any way he can keep/protect his position? --- wsPd/wwyd ----->
I'd love to get Dr Bill's input on this one.

The question for Billy: is this one of those times you take an intentional?

All of the suggestions so far work for me, but I don't want to actually shoot any of them in a real game. I want to shoot the 7 in the side pocket so it spots up, and roll the cue ball forward through that gap, but the angle looks off to me.

jrhendy

Verified Member
Bank the seven ball one rail to my hole and put the cue ball on/near the six. Leaves you a long tough combination.

androd

Verified Member
Does anyone know what pocket they're shooting at, after reading this thread I have no idea.

jrhendy

Verified Member
Bank the seven ball one rail to my hole and put the cue ball on/near the six. Leaves you a long tough combination.
Now that I have had my coffee I will shoot at tha right hole. jtompilot
wore me out yesterday and left me more brain dead than usual.

jrhendy

Verified Member
Now that I have had my coffee I will shoot at tha right hole. jtompilot
wore me out yesterday and left me more brain dead than usual.
Shoot the seven into the ten and draw the cue ball to snuggle against the fourteen.

Easy shot with my billiard stroke and carom experience.:D

androd

Verified Member
Shoot the seven into the ten and draw the cue ball to snuggle against the fourteen.

Easy shot with my billiard stroke and carom experience.:D
Yes I was thinking about drawing against the 1ball.

LSJohn

Verified Member
LS, I like your shot, but you have to really make sure you don't clip the 5 on the way up table.
Yeah, it's looking like a smaller window than it did to me before, but I think I'm sticking with it. It's not a killer, but it is the only shot I think I can execute that really improves my situation as Bruce challenged rather than just playing safe.

What about sending the 7 up table and drawing the CB to the rail next to the 14.---Smitty
Easy to execute and safe, but IMO only works really well if you manage to freeze to the 14.

I really think beatle's "skin off the 7 and leave you behind the 10" is the best shot for anyone who can confidently execute, but that ain't me. :)

unoperro

Verified Member
1 into the rail ,then into the 6 . Soft draw back to bottom rail. Take the bottom of the cueball away.

Or 2 rails into a thin hit on the 6. Whitey goes up to opposite corner.