Ghost vs. John 54 wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
John's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- John's in a tough position again --- ball score is 0-0, both going to 8 --- not a whole lot of options here --- wwyd? ----->

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
i am going to lose if i cant clear some balls or get balls by my hole while keeping him at bay.

being aggressive in these spots i would hit the 9 hard and make the 11 off the 7, and clear out some balls and maybe get lucky and make one and be down there and can run a couple . i can see him having only 2 balls down there after that shot.

another shot is to hit the 15 off the 10 towards your hole which blocks him with the 12 ball. and also leave him where he cant make a ball from there easily for himself.

the 6 4 combo is appealing but i dont like leaving him on my side there. but if you can make it thats another story.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
I'd probably lag/scratch between the 2/14....but if I can get the six close to my pocket with draw, and leave my opponent jacked up over the five, that's a go, but the six has to land by the foot rail.

Miller

Verified Member
pretty sporty trap layed down by da ghost.....

i think you gotta take a swing to move some balls because it isn't going to get any better and ghost will just suffocate you....

think i'm framing the deuce into the 14, tad bit of low right/stop stroke, want whitey to go into the rail and bump that 13 (and hopefully not catch a kiss). tough spot for sure.

Miller

Verified Member
orcollo might back cut the 12 with a lot of inside and run into those balls.....

catkins

Verified Member
I am going to soft kick the 2 I think and roll down on to the 7

Kybanks

Verified Member
The 6-4 combo is the shot I would shoot. Drag the cb back to where it is and try and hang the 4 ball or make it. Trying to move all those balls from that distance never works out well for me.

Hardmix

Verified Member
2 into the 14 striking cb at 11:00 with velocity. The cb will clear the 11 and hopefully the 2 and 14 will real havoc on the 7 and 1.

sappo

Verified Member
The 6-4 combo is the shot I would shoot. Drag the cb back to where it is and try and hang the 4 ball or make it. Trying to move all those balls from that distance never works out well for me.
This would definitely be my shot. If the 4 doesn't go three a good chance the 6 will hide the 4. K

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Are you kidding me Ghost, wwid besides sh--t my pants? I needed a pause in my day to get a good laugh! Holy Cow, couldn't you put up a few shots prior? Whitey

Scrzbill

Verified Member
Ticky the five to freeze cue ball to six hoping for a better shot next turn. If the one can be seen full ball, then rolling it up table followed by the cue ball going up table behind the 14. Cross corner the eight, leaving the cue ball next to the 13. Close my eyes and fire.

chicagomike

Verified Member
I see you are obviously playing during this Covid time...we will absolutely have to adjust in my favor when we play again. That being said I play the 8 off the 13 sending both to my hole. CB back to the area it is currently at.

J.R.

Verified Member
Kybanks said:
Sappo said:
This would definitely be my shot. If the 4 doesn't go there's a good chance the 6 will hide the 4.

I would overcut the 6-ball without striking the 4-ball. I would try to place the 6-ball as near to my pocket as possible. I would use high left on the cue ball with the mindset of trying to use the 15-ball to act as a blocker for the 6-ball.

My focus would be two fold. First, to not undercut the 6-ball and second, to play the correct speed to get behind the 15-ball.

Opps. After explaining my shot selection, I re-examined the two photos. The first photo appears that I can execute the shot as described. Here's my caveat. The second photo appears that I cannot execute the shot as described because my cue ball's angle coming off the 6-ball requires too much speed to bring the cue ball behind the 15-ball while controlling the speedy 6-ball to stop near my pocket.

Okay. What shot is simple to execute and leaves my opponent without a clear shot at his pocket? I would just lag the cue ball behind the 5-ball, especially if I am playing an aggressive shooter. Maybe he'll make a mistake in judgment trying to get more balls near his pocket and leave me a makeable kamikaze (suicide shot).

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
The shots I see

- clear the 2 and the 14. The 11 should stop the progress of the CB and not sell out the 7

- elevate and play 6-4 combo not to make it. The only ball that goes for him from there is the 3 so I would draw the CB to roughly where it is now. He could make a mistake or leave me in a better position dealing with the 4 near my pocket.

- Go into the 2 off the 13 at pace. I’d hope to clear those 4 balls and not sell out the 7. May also luck one in.

Efren would cut the 12 in, bump the cluster of 4 balls and run out :)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
The best shot I see is a simple nurse on the 5 with the objective not to leave a shot on the 3 or the wired combination 9/13 off the 7.
But what I want to know is this leave by Ghost planned, for the cb is left whereas there is not a clean shot on any of the opponent's balls by his hole. I do believe the 1 ball can be hit cleanly, and if possible contacting the 1 on the right side *taking out* the 7 or pocketing it, would be the correct shot! Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
First of all, that's a very nasty position for you to leave John in, Ghost. You ought to be ashamed...:cool:

A guy could roll off the 5 and try to wedge the CB between the rail and 6 ball. Hopefully wherever he puts you after that will allow for a more damaging return shot. BTW those advocating for a 2-14 smack, I don't think you can get the 2 to hit the 14.

If a guy wants to be aggressive, the 8 ball is almost dead cross-corner. Pop it with 1 tip of low, so as to leave the 13 as a blocker. If you make it, the 12 would be next.

beatle

Verified Member
if i am going to shot for one it will be the 6 4 combo as it lays good to play position and get those 5 balls that go to my hole.
but if you dont clear out balls there he is going to in the next inning or so open them up some and you then wont have any place to safe him which you do now.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
John's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- John's in a tough position again --- ball score is 0-0, both going to 8 --- not a whole lot of options here --- wwyd? ----->
I would bank the 8 and leave my cueball there . I think the problem is not what to do here for John, but what should he have done 5 or 7 shots ago .
Whenever an opponent always has balls piled up in front of their pocket and you are empty, it is usually because you are playing one ball one pocket. Going for every shot instead of takeouts and ignoring threats that are being developed , thinking you can escape later with a good shot. Maybe he is not doing that , but it will surely lead to these scenarios.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
2 into the 14 striking cb at 11:00 with velocity. The cb will clear the 11 and hopefully the 2 and 14 will real havoc on the 7 and 1.
The way I see the pictures, you cannot see enough of 2 to hit it into the 14. Also, I think it is nearly impossible to slide off the back of the 2 to go down by the 7 -- not impossible, but very, very unlikely to get the right hit.

I'm tempted to play a waiting shot by banking the 15 to my side and freezing the cue to the 10. If I feel good about my speed control on this table, I'm blasting straight at the 9 ball and trying to drift the cue ball forward, but I don't have high hopes of leaving no shot. Most likely, I'm playing the 6-4 and doing the best I can to leave him as much of a problem as possible, but I think he will have something to shoot at.