Ghost vs. John 51 - wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, luckily I saved up a few of these wwyd's for a rainy day = and these are most definitely rainy days ☠.

My shot --- my pocket is at the top left --- the score is 4 to 2, Ghost ahead --- not many shot options here --- if that damn 1ball wasn't sitting there, I could just shoot the basic takeout of kicking off of foot rail and sending the 3ball bye bye...but I can't do that cuz I'll leave John a a simple cross-corner bank of the 1ball............wwyd? >>>

P.S. There is no combination in the small stack that could be made into my pocket.

nice shot tony.... :)
ghost and beatle
i know you said the combo was easy
but if you hit the first ball off alittle you miss the combo since they are both on the rail ....dont you?
if tony can hit straight enough to make the combo
why should he be afraid of the 12 or 15
what am i not understanding regarding the difficulty of the combo???
Larry, I luv ya, but...how many times over my many years of wwyd's have I had to say: "TO REALIZE THE SHOT SITUATION, PLEASE READ ALL OF MY OPENING POST".....excerpted from my opening post >>>

The 3ball (in a 'big ball position) and the 1ball are both between approx. 1/8" off the rail...

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
cut it thin and beat the kiss and come up by the 8 ball.
or if scared just make it for him and follow up to a safe spot
that ball has to go even if i sell out a few

i am eliminating all shots from behind according to your directive.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I may just make the three for him in his pocket and come over half way between the first and second diamond, on the rail, under the one, where he can't see the eight or 15. You would still be up 4-3 and let him worry about not leaving YOU the bank on the one and not leaving you a shot on the five and not leaving you a bank on the eight, and not leaving you the dead combo bank into your hole on the thirteen..

Tobermory

Verified Member
I'd probably just come from behind the 3 with right English so that the CB spins high enough that the bank on the 1 is not so easy, OR, if it looks good enough to shoot I'd thin that striped ball towards the 10 and kick at the bottom of the 3. Even if the CB gets stuck near where the 3 is now, the combo should have moved a couple of balls into the banking lanes blocking a strong counter move. Or not.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
Play the bank with left to run into the rack. I think that will usually end OK.

As for the "forbidden" kick to the 3 ball, I have never played it but I'm thinking if you crank up the speed you might get the cue ball up to the third diamond after it hits the 3. Maybe two rails before the 3 could send the cue ball safe against the rack -- another shot I've never played in this situation.

unoperro

Verified Member
Rail first with left spin thin the three . 3 goes behind the stack , cueball goes 2 rails towards right corner head rail.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Play the bank with left to run into the rack. I think that will usually end OK. <<< If I cut the bank thin enough to not get the kiss, the cueball will not be able to hit the stack.

Maybe two rails before the 3 could send the cue ball safe against the rack -- another shot I've never played in this situation. <<< That's an interesting shot.

catkins

Verified Member
bank the 3 to connect with the one and open the stack and win the game. feels like a shot I saw in to mot in fremont

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I used to be pretty good at banking the 3 to my side and getting back up table ,but it's not worth the risk here, and you have to be playing very well , the only top player I ever saw play the shot that way is Scott Frost.

beatle

Verified Member
the angle is too thin and the ball is too far up the rail for to kick one rail and bank it over and not sell out often. doing this on your first try.

unoperro

Verified Member
the angle is too thin and the ball is too far up the rail for to kick one rail and bank it over and not sell out often. doing this on your first try.
I said thin but its thin at different angle then what would be required to kick bank it into the pocket.

lll

Verified Member
Rail first with left spin thin the three . 3 goes behind the stack , cueball goes 2 rails towards right corner head rail.
when i tried that the cue ball went towards the spot
i must be doing something wrong

lll

Verified Member
this takes a precise hit to not follow into the pocket and to not get a double kiss
but i was able to do it several times
with only one try
:unsure:
ghost 51 wwyd.png