Ghost vs. John 49 - wwyd?

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
bank off point! I believe you click on the blue and the video comes up, and then click once again on the video to get sound.
I heard the calling of oldschool so here I am participating!
Not making the shot would of made it more interesting, but the return shot is to take out the ball by my hole, most likely. If he decides to shoot the 11 then it is a slight back cut which makes it harder to deal with a ball by my hole. It is a stop gap shot as the others are, to live for another shot, and to overcome this adverse situation. But if you happen to make it, who knows. But of course you could hit it poorly and leave a shot, but that is true with a lot of shots.
I liked my odds of leaving him long vs. leaving the cb on this end of the table, for this shot. Whitey
Funny I was showing this exact shot to a friend off mine yesterday... he had never seen it. Nice shot whitey!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Helluva shot, Whitey! Never thought of that one. I've never attempted that shot with the OB frozen to the rail before. Will have to give it a whirl. But your CB speed was perfect, which, even if the shot were not made, would likely preclude the opponent from shooting the 11.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
bank off point! I believe you click on the blue and the video comes up, and then click once again on the video to get sound.
Not making the shot would of made it more interesting, but the return shot is to take out the ball by my hole, most likely. If he decides to shoot the 11 then it is a slight back cut which makes it harder to deal with a ball by my hole. It is a stop gap shot as the others are, to live for another shot, and to overcome this adverse situation. But if you happen to make it, who knows. But of course you could hit it poorly and leave a shot, but that is true with a lot of shots.
I liked my odds of leaving him long vs. leaving the cb on this end of the table, for this shot. Whitey
nice shot whitey
tony chohan and efren like that shot
i need to practice it alot more before i would consider playing it in a game that meant something

jtompilot

Verified Member
Ive played that shot a few times, but I’d rather use draw. Evan played a similar shot against me a few weeks ago. He didn’t make it and I crossed it back to my hole. You hit it well though

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Funny I was showing this exact shot to a friend off mine yesterday... he had never seen it. Nice shot whitey!
Helluva shot, Whitey! Never thought of that one. I've never attempted that shot with the OB frozen to the rail before. Will have to give it a whirl. But your CB speed was perfect, which, even if the shot were not made, would likely preclude the opponent from shooting the 11.

~Doc
Ive played that shot a few times, but I’d rather use draw. Evan played a similar shot against me a few weeks ago. He didn’t make it and I crossed it back to my hole. You hit it well though
Ok, good, youse 3 guys complimented Whitey's shot...but...none of youse said what you would do here - I guess that must mean you're stumped, and don't know what to do 👻 sorry, I'll put up an easier situation for youse guys next time 😊

You're not the only one that doesn’t like that shot
^ Too funny Jim.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
l would hit about a tip and a half with a third ball hit or whatever I felt would get me through the window of the 8 and 11. I shot this once and this was my result. I guess if I played around with it, I would try and figure out a good speed to the the cue ball all the way down to rail... unless I felt a scratch was "on".

Attachments

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Ok, good, youse 3 guys complimented Whitey's shot...but...none of youse said what you would do here - I guess that must mean you're stumped, and don't know what to do 👻 sorry, I'll put up an easier situation for youse guys next time 😊
Didn't mean to keep you in suspense, Ghost..:) My first inclination was to thin the 12 with a left masse type shot, which would remove the 12 while keeping the CB in the lower third of the table.

But now I'm inclined to take Jerry's/Kyb's shot, and go 3 rails with the CB off the 12. Might even accidentally make Whitey's shot!

I don't normally add on when several guys have already suggested my shot.

~Doc

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I had the off the point shot in my original reply, and took it out because after I went and tried it , my make average was 1 in 20 and I sold out most of the other times an easy bank and being able to get a shot at the top ball on his side , either 3 rails or 1 .
I also figured out how to get the cueball near his side pocket by jacking up about 75 degrees and hitting a 1/2 ball with just below center on the cueball . It's a great shot if there are blockers, but not here for me , because it also sells out the bank on the top ball 1 rail , and the original idea was not to leave a shot to the incoming player I thought?
If you can get it in the pocket, or so close there is no return about 4 out of 10 then you are getting good odds on your money with the shot , but if it was a tournament or case game , I don't feel the need to risk the game here.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Your not the only one that doesn’t like that shot
Didn't mean to keep you in suspense, Ghost..:) My first inclination was to thin the 12 with a left masse type shot, which would remove the 12 while keeping the CB in the lower third of the table.

But now I'm inclined to take Jerry's/Kyb's shot, and go 3 rails with the CB off the 12. Might even accidentally make Whitey's shot!

I don't normally add on when several guys have already suggested my shot.

~Doc
Doc, KYB's shot was not Jerry's shot - it was the same as your first inclination shot, which was also Larry's shot.

jtompilot

Verified Member

^ Too funny Jim.

^ Too funny Jim.
Kyb and Larry posted the most reasonable shot. And if you play Fats shot, I’m two railing the 8 and try to run three balls for the win.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Hope no one misunderstood my reply, I love Whiteys shot, if there are balls near the spot for blockers , but not in this particular case, just wanted to make sure . If you hit it near the hole a high percentage of the time , then it's good in a lot more scenarios. I got it on my side and within 6 inches of the pocket most of the time and my cueball along his rail , but I kept selling out a bank on it or the top ball on his side.
You shoot a lot of great shots Whitey , no disrespect meant .
This is undoubtedly a much better shot for you, than me.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Billy Jackets, you have every right to voice your opinion about this shot, and have my respect for that, and honestly saying it did not work for you. I did not just do this video, I worked up to videoing this shot. I worked on the point bank as well as the other shots that were posted. I learn a great deal by working through these wwyd's.
I was having good luck with the point bank, so I filmed it. My first filming attempt turned out ok with the desired results, but the balls did not end up in the position I wanted to represent. This video was the next attempt, and it represented the cb placement I wanted.
I know Efren did this shot quite a few years ago, but I'd like to know the history, if anyone knows! I played with this shot a few months ago, so I knew it was there.
What I worked on pertaining to this wwyd was apply different english to mainly run into the 11 or to miss it and leave the cb where it ended up, and challenge the shooter to shoot. I decided it was better to play for cb on head cushion.
The real danger in this shot is if you hit on the inside of the point to much then the ob stays there and it is probably a sell out, game over! So in this scenario you can caution on the safe side, and if you miss the point altogether you probably will end up ok, as long as the cb is controlled. Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
Wow, yes tough spot there! Dumping the 11 and playing 6-6 is not the worst thing for sure, because it is 100% manageable. Meaning no potential kisses, scratches, accidentally bumping a ball and selling out, hitting the point and having the 11 hang around for a sell out, or anything like that. The worst is okay, you leave a window for a bank on one of those balls at the other end of the table -- with the cue ball at or near frozen on this end. That is not neccessarily a bad thing -- a guy could screw up from there lol. Given the score I would probably do that. Unless -- there is enough room to load up with left english and kick side rail back into the 11 to bank it up and over toward my own side rail. I like that shot if there is room but it looks too close to the corner from the pic. I'll try setting it up on a table though.

I really do love the creativity of Whitey's shot, and Chicago Fats shot too. Both nice creative shots that if hit well could be much better -- but!! -- what about if you don't hit it well? For the Whitey shot, I would worry about either accidentally catching too much of the point and leaving the 11 ball there -- or leaving a bank on the 11.

Okay, I took it to a table.

No way is there room to kick the 11 out unless you masse really well. So that is out for me anyway.

For Fats shot, running the cue ball around the table, I hit it well on my second try. If someone wants to give me one do-over a game that sounds like an interesting spot!

For those of you banking the 11 two rails out of the corner I'd say I left a potential bank on the 11 most of time. But at least I did not kiss.

For Whitey's shot, I often left a bank also, and a couple of times I caught too much of the point and the 11 went point to point and up the table a ways instead of across the table. But I sure do love the way he hit it!

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Billy Jackets, you have every right to voice your opinion about this shot, and have my respect for that, and honestly saying it did not work for you. I did not just do this video, I worked up to videoing this shot. I worked on the point bank as well as the other shots that were posted. I learn a great deal by working through these wwyd's.
I was having good luck with the point bank, so I filmed it. My first filming attempt turned out ok with the desired results, but the balls did not end up in the position I wanted to represent. This video was the next attempt, and it represented the cb placement I wanted.
I know Efren did this shot quite a few years ago, but I'd like to know the history, if anyone knows! I played with this shot a few months ago, so I knew it was there.
What I worked on pertaining to this wwyd was apply different english to mainly run into the 11 or to miss it and leave the cb where it ended up, and challenge the shooter to shoot. I decided it was better to play for cb on head cushion.
The real danger in this shot is if you hit on the inside of the point to much then the ob stays there and it is probably a sell out, game over! So in this scenario you can caution on the safe side, and if you miss the point altogether you probably will end up ok, as long as the cb is controlled. Whitey
I first saw this shot in the mid 1960s, it was a prop shot but the object ball was placed on the center diamond of bottom rail and the cue ball was on the diamond between it and the corner pocket.
I have made it over the years goofing off , and thought for some reason , you had to hit it hard to get it to twist, which made it not so good in one pocket. Then I showed it to an older hustler named Charlie Jenkins about 10 years ago and he hit it pocket speed, and got it near the hole a large percentage of the time.
Which made it viable again to me, in the correct situations.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I first saw this shot in the mid 1960s, it was a prop shot but the object ball was placed on the center diamond of bottom rail and the cue ball was on the diamond between it and the corner pocket.
I have made it over the years goofing off , and thought for some reason , you had to hit it hard to get it to twist, which made it not so good in one pocket. Then I showed it to an older hustler named Charlie Jenkins about 10 years ago and he hit it pocket speed, and got it near the hole a large percentage of the time.
Which made it viable again to me, in the correct situations.
Its MUCH easier when it is not froze to the rail and that is the "famous" one Efren shot that was captured.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Its MUCH easier when it is not froze to the rail and that is the "famous" one Efren shot that was captured.
Both balls were frozen to the rail in the original version I saw in the 60s The owner of the pool room showed it to me , but I have no idea where he saw it.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Ghost, I don't usually post in your wwyd's, but I really enjoy viewing them and all of the replies. I hope the fact that these days you're not getting many responses will not stop you from continuing to post them up. I see what you're saying though, I can think of about 12 different well known members who always post in these wwyd's, that have not posted in this one.

C'mon guys, do your part and keep posting in these wwyd's. As many people have said, they're the most educational and interesting threads on onepocket.org and we don't want the Ghost to stop putting them up.

Old School
Thanks for the post Old School...I'm glad you enjoy the wwyd's, and you are correct in saying that they are a very important part of this site, and the more members that post up their opinion the better...and also as you said, a lot of our regulars are MIA recently in the wwyd's = some of the missing bro's that come to mind are: the three Bills, four John's, Keith, Mitch, larry, Todd, Ben, Darrel, Dustin, Robert, unoperro, J.R. Tom, beatle, tobermory, and more - now that's a whole lot of MIA's - 20+.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I don't think Mitch has posted since that TAptalk thing was taken away... I enjoy the wwyd also. I would have conceded the ball, and don't usually posT if my shot has already been chosen ..