Ghost vs. John 47 wwyd?

wincardona

Verified Member
No trick here partner - I believe there's a good lesson to be learned here - and if you don't realize that then you had better turn in your teaching credentials :sorry.....imo there's one shot that is the best choice, but it isn't necessarily the choice that most players would choose :eek:.

Dr. Ghost
To me there are only two choices for 1% of players, but for the other 99% of players the option with placing the 5ball as close to the 12ball preferably under it would be IMO where to go. The other option for the 1% would be to masse the cue ball to pocket the 10ball in that fashion. Even then for them it would be a tough decision.

Sorry for my criticalness on the issue, and I apologize and am willing to learn. :sorry:)

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
i assume the first picture tells us which pocket you have. and that first pic you have the last ball in your hole with it being the pocket on the left.

that may be some confusion here. at least for me.

but in any case anyone that cant one rail into that ball every single time isnt supposed to be on this forum. there is another forum for those that cant play.
Really. Don't know what to say so I'm not saying anything. :rolleyes:

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
:sorry for not making it clear which pocket is mine: my pocket is the one that the cueball is sitting in...now hopefully more shot-choice responses will be coming - unless Billy and Darrell scared everybody away...:eek:...:lol

- Ghost

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Looks to me like he has earned that ten ball weather you make it for him or he makes it himself. Drawing off the five ball will take some power and who knows where the five ball ends up at. Also there's the possibility that you don't pocket the ten. I would just position the five ball toward the other balls that are out of play and let him have a go with the ten ball.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Just moving the 5 ball doesn't get you out of the trap! Everybody is assuming that the incoming player is gonna pocket the 10 ball and release the strangle hold he has on you. Sometimes in this game you have to shoot to win and this may be one of those situations.

bstroud

Verified Member
The one rail kick is good here but I like the Masse because it leaves a harder bank.

Leaving the ball in his hole is a mistake.

Bill S.

OldSchool

Verified Member
I have one question for you guys who plan on moving the 5 ball up table and allowing your opponent to pocket the 10 ball themselves.
What makes you think that is their only option? Okay, two questions. So if they don't choose to pocket the 10, where would you want to place the 5 and cue balls and what might they do in response?

And for those of you who want to somehow pocket the 10 ball. Do you really want to take even a slim chance of coming off the hill when your opponent needs four and two of them are currently out of play?

Tom
Tom, you didn't say, what do you advise as to the correct shot here?

Old School

darmoose

Verified Member
I have one question for you guys who plan on moving the 5 ball up table and allowing your opponent to pocket the 10 ball themselves.
What makes you think that is their only option? Okay, two questions. So if they don't choose to pocket the 10, where would you want to place the 5 and cue balls and what might they do in response?

And for those of you who want to somehow pocket the 10 ball. Do you really want to take even a slim chance of coming off the hill when your opponent needs four and two of them are currently out of play?

Tom
Good point, Tom. I suppose after I move the 5 ball away, he could chose to do something other than pocket the 10 ball. But, I think it would be to no avail.
To answer your second question, I would want the 5 ball on my long rail above the kitchen line. I would shoot to not allow the 5 ball to reach those balls in the corner cause I certainly don't want to pocket a ball, and I would want the CB on his long rail anywhere below the side pocket (although I don't think it matters too much).

As someone else said, one certainly doesn't want to come off the hill here.:)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
First off, I am stil not sure which pocket is the Ghosts from the description, lol...

But ok, let's say it is the opponent pocket and I need 1 ball to win. I dont want to come off the hill no matter what. So for me it boils down to which shot I think will less likely cause a foul.

For me personally, I think caroming off the 5 with some low RHE, into the long rail right before the pocket and make the 10. if I miss the 10, no problem, he makes it and may even get shape on the 5 depending on where it ended up, but im still the fave 7-6.

I would have to go with the right percentage shot for ME,,, which would be this

beatle

Verified Member
my reply was light hearted too bad it didnt come out that way. sorry

but bank one rail to that ten ball is the easiest way to make it for most people on a cold shot. it is a natural corner to corner. on any new table to me that is one of the first warm up shots i shoot to learn the table.

sure off the point is good but you must know that table well.

the masse shot is easy if you have shot a couple on that table and know that cueball. cold i dont like to shoot them.

i agree that leaving the ten there is terrible. but to each his own. he likely will leave it there and start putting blockers for you and maybe win the game.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Are you serious this must be a trick question there is only one option that I can think of, anything else would be uncivilized. I hate to come on so critical but come on Ghosty you surely can think of a better wwyd then this one. :sorry

Dr. Bill

Sorry for my criticalness on the issue, and I apologize and am willing to learn. :sorry

Dr. Bill
Apology accepted brother Billy...and as you can see there are many different posted up choices (could some of them be "uncivilized"? :eek:), this wwyd is education-worthy...:heh

- Ghost

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
So here is my thinking on this situation.
There is no way I'm kicking or trying to masse into the 10 ball. There is no need to take that risk. Especially with the kick. Sure it look simple but out of 100 times who's going to make it every time? Answer...no one here. And then, isn't there a possibility of giving up a straight back on the 5? Maybe?

So, for my money I'm taking the five out. But how and where would I most like to leave it and the cue ball? First, The cue ball. I think leaving it just about where the 5 is now would be an ideal place. Why? Because the shot on the 10 will require a bridge for most people whether they are right handed or left. That will make playing position on any loose ball far more difficult.

Now for the five ball, and this could be critical. Damn guys, I'm giving away the store here. So pay attention. I should be charging for this one.

Putting the 5 ball with the other two balls could turn out very badly if your opponent can pocket one of these three balls and hook you behind the other two. That may not happen very often but I'm not taking that risk either.

So where is the best place to leave the five. Realistically, leaving it on my side rail and below the 8 would be my choice. Sure I may give up a cross corner bank on the 5 but that bank is one of the toughest banks in the game even if the cue ball lays perfectly. Now should my opponent choose to play the 10 ball, in most cases I will escape any trap or the loss of more than that single ball.

Who would have thought a simple situation like this would generate so must controversy?
I might add that this shot should be very easy to execute.

Nice post Ghost. Hey! I'm a poet too! :D

Tom

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
There is no way I'm kicking or trying to masse into the 10 ball. There is no need to take that risk. Especially with the kick. Sure it look simple but out of 100 times who's going to make it every time? Answer...no one here. And then, isn't there a possibility of giving up a straight back on the 5? Maybe?

So, for my money I'm taking the five out. But how and where would I most like to leave it and the cue ball? First, The cue ball. I think leaving it just about where the 5 is now would be an ideal place. Why? Because the shot on the 10 will require a bridge for most people whether they are right handed or left. That will make playing position on any loose ball far more difficult.

Now for the five ball, and this could be critical. Damn guys, I'm giving away the store here. So pay attention. I should be charging for this one.

Putting the 5 ball with the other two balls could turn out very badly if your opponent can pocket one of these three balls and hook you behind the other two. That may not happen very often but I'm not taking that risk either.

So where is the best place to leave the five. Realistically, leaving it on my side rail and below the 8 would be my choice. Sure I may give up a cross corner bank on the 5 but that bank is one of the toughest banks in the game even if the cue ball lays perfectly. Now should my opponent choose to play the 10 ball, in most cases I will escape any trap or the loss of more than that single ball.

Who would have thought a simple situation like this would generate so must controversy?

Tom
Can't be clearer or more logical than that. I totally agree and people wishing to learn to play better OP should absorb.

Thank you and thank Ghost for a WWYD on "thinking"
:D

baby huey

Verified Member
To me this is a no brainer. If it was the start of the game and the rack was in place and you couldn't see the ten ball, you'd simply kick one rail at the ten. So why is it any different now? I wouldn't try to make the ten ball off the five ball nor would I move the five ball up table. If you kick in the ten ball it appears he can only see the five ball on his shot from where the ten was in the pocket meaning he'd have to move the five ball and perhaps leave you a bank shot to win the game.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
You see Billy...from 5 of the best players on this site...we firstly, have this school of thought:

Are you serious this must be a trick question there is only one option that I can think of, anything else would be uncivilized. placing the 5ball as close to the 12ball preferably under it would be IMO where to go.

Dr. Bill
Looks to me like he has earned that ten ball weather you make it for him or he makes it himself. Drawing off the five ball will take some power and who knows where the five ball ends up at. Also there's the possibility that you don't pocket the ten. I would just position the five ball toward the other balls that are out of play and let him have a go with the ten ball.

So, for my money I'm taking the five out.

Who would have thought a simple situation like this would generate so must controversy? <<< The Ghost did, that's who :heh - and there'd be more, if others weren't ascairt to post up their choice :lol

Tom

And then we have, what Dr. Bill calls this "uncivilized" school of thought :D:

The one rail kick is good here but I like the Masse because it leaves a harder bank.

Leaving the ball in his hole is a mistake.

Bill S.

To me this is a no brainer. If it was the start of the game and the rack was in place and you couldn't see the ten ball, you'd simply kick one rail at the ten. So why is it any different now? I wouldn't try to make the ten ball off the five ball nor would I move the five ball up table. If you kick in the ten ball it appears he can only see the five ball on his shot from where the ten was in the pocket meaning he'd have to move the five ball and perhaps leave you a bank shot to win the game.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
Or, just thin cut the 5 into the upper corner....come two..rails and pocket scratch the cue ball & the ten ball, spot 2 maybe 3 balls.

beatle

Verified Member
this is great .. taking all the heat off of poor me for stating the obvious.