Ghost vs. John 46 wwyd?

Tylerbob

Verified Member
I know this has to be wrong, because the best minds in the game have not mentioned it! My first thought was to thin the 8 toward my pocket at medium speed sending the cue ball two rails into the three. This clears the three and leaves the 8 in front of my hole. If I catch the 3 full off the second rail, my eight is protected. If the cue ball goes toward the end rail, I have still improved my position and not left much.

I have the least experience of any of those who commented, so help me please.

wincardona

Verified Member
I know this has to be wrong, because the best minds in the game have not mentioned it! My first thought was to thin the 8 toward my pocket at medium speed sending the cue ball two rails into the three. This clears the three and leaves the 8 in front of my hole. If I catch the 3 full off the second rail, my eight is protected. If the cue ball goes toward the end rail, I have still improved my position and not left much.

I have the least experience of any of those who commented, so help me please.
Let me try to answer your concern for the option you have chosen. Your thinking is good and in certain situations you would benefit with this type of aggressive thinking. However, in this situation you the shooter have the best position so your strategy should be to protect it. Your option could open the door for your opponent in several ways. First lets say you strike the 8ball and move it near the side rail about a diamond up from your pocket this could turn out to be problematic if the 3ball stopped the progress of the cue ball allowing your opponent to bank either the 5 or 6ball. Now lets say you go into the 3ball with the medium speed you suggested sending the cue ball up table you then expose both the 7ball and the 8ball as possible effective options for your opponent to play off of. Keep in mind your position as it sits before choosing your shot is the better position but it still needs a little ball management to turn it into a strong position. Had you had a strong position then you would have options with your decision and just maybe depending on how the balls are laying going up table would be beneficial. You would of eliminated the 3ball from opponents side and created a stronger position by leaving distance.

Anyways, your position before you shoot now isn't threatening and you need time to develop it to where your forth coming options are winning ones. Stopping the progress of developing a position precipitously often comes back to having to start all over again and it's wearing on a player to have to do that.

Your thinking is good but when to apply it is the key.

Dr. Bill

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Doc, you're welcomed. I believe your shot deserves some scrutiny. There is risk involved as you know and Dr. Bill pointed out, but for my skill level it probably is a good choice for me.
For those that like shooting the 11 into the 3, this morning I was going to video that shot but camera said no more videos. But I worked on it anyway. I only had 1 successful result out of 30 tries. I do not know if it is me, or the shot, but I encourage members to try it and see how it goes for them. I'll work on it some more.

My favorite shot to do is the shot the opponent did! It is a fun shot!

I think we owe Dr. Bill a vote of thanks for giving up his shot. A shot that I thought was impossible. I sure learned something! I believe it is the shot with the least amount of risk. It was not until I started working on it did his intent come to me. He is moving 2 and 3 shots ahead. I can now see why some players like the soft and super soft tips, so they can spin the cb. I like med. hard.
But, there is a return offensive shot to Dr. Bill's shot that has not been discussed that one should be aware of. Depending on how the cb lays on the side rail then the 3 ball can be twist banked back into the opponent's hole. Not easy, but on some cushions this shot is more viable.

Thanks for the thread, Ghost!

Last edited:

JohnInNH

Verified Member
I'm banking the 11 with about 4 oclock low right. Pocket speed .If I get it close , only a handfull of champions and a river of suckers are going to shoot the 3.
{Most of them will either miss , or get 1.
If I am playing a champion I am in a tournament and have no shot at winning anyway except running out the first chance I get.
Billy Jackets Phisolophy 101
Billy,

I like your shot if executed correctly it could be a game winner especially if you make the shot.

Tylerbob

Verified Member
Thanks for your analysis, Dr Bill. I set this up and shot it 6 times. It worked out well twice. The rest of the time not so much. Not good odds. Your strategy of maintaining a strong position makes sense to me. I introduced a lot of risk for not much gain.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I'm going to call on you next after you wake up. :D

Dr. Bill
Billy,
I woke up to this quote of yours from a previous post.

By the way the bank on the 11ball into the 3ball is a very strong shot and would very possibly be my shot of choice from this position.

Dr. Bill

Seems to be a contradiction somewhere. :confused:

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
Billy,
I woke up to this quote of yours from a previous post.

By the way the bank on the 11ball into the 3ball is a very strong shot and would very possibly be my shot of choice from this position.

Dr. Bill

Seems to be a contradiction somewhere. :confused:

Tom
Tom, no co tradition. When I chose my initial shot it was the best option that I could see so I made my choice based off of that assessment. Later in the thread the bank on the 11ball into the 3ball was brought up and it was at that time I recognized the availability of the shot and also evaluated the strength with the shot and concluded it was a very strong shot. I then said it could be quite possible the shot of choice but in no way would I discount the 8ball option because both shots have strengths and I would have to make my decision based off of how I felt at that time.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Very good Bill. I only brought it back up because of the "wake up" comment.
And your shot....after Whitey was able to demonstrate that the shot could be executed as you envisioned I agree that it is a good alternative.

:):):)
:D:DTom