Ghost vs. Ike 1

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I am coming thin off the five, opening those three balls up and going two rails into the stack. Much easier than the bank.
This is the shot I saw also. I wouldn't want to leave the 8 dead off the 5 if they kicked into my corner, been beat too many times with that Hail Mary.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I am coming thin off the five, opening those three balls up and going two rails into the stack. Much easier than the bank.
That's a very nice shot, as long as you don't need to put any left spin on the CB (because it's hard to gauge). Played properly that would really put the opponent in deep do-do...

Otherwise I'd shoot Frank's straight-back on the 1 ball.

~Doc

TxOnePocket

Looks like a natural angle to tick off the 5 ball and send the cue ball 2 rails under the 13 ball, IDK why you'd look to foul up 3 - 0 with the natural angle.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
In this situation with that score I’m shooting my shot no matter whom I’m playing. As much as I admire Ike and his abilities I’m still shooting. Ike and I are no strangers in competition. I don’t see much of a down side to the shot.
I’m usually with Barber and this is no exception.
As Seasons said in that movie...
It ain’t that hard a shot.

PS I’d almost bet most here would shoot it.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
If I am playing cheap, sure I shoot the straight back, it's a good shot!

For me though if I am betting higher or in a tourney really trying to win, my choice to play off the 3 is based on 2 things:

1) I dont like where the 3 is currently sitting. He can keep me off the combo a lot easier with the 3 staying in that position so I want to move it and I also like leaving distance for my opponent coming to the table when I can.

2) Jacking up in any situation gives you less control over the OB and the CB no matter how well you play, so when I can, I also try to shoot more level with the least amount of obstacles.

The zig zag into the stack was the very first thing that popped into my head but I dont want to move that combo by coming off the 5 and I dont need to take a foul here when I can leave him up table and get a better look next time.

just my 2 cents :)

wincardona

Verified Member
I like taking the intentional and kick two rails to the stack. I like where the 5ball is now, no need to move it.

Dr. Bill

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
I like taking the intentional and kick two rails to the stack. I like where the 5ball is now, no need to move it.

Dr. Bill
Zig sagging into the stack will just invite Ike to zig zag back into the five ball and destroy your combo. Just needs to move those balls an inch or two. Easy to do.

That two rail kick into the stack option will cause you a ball and his reply might not cost him any because those balls are so close to the rail.

jrhendy

Verified Member
Zig sagging into the stack will just invite Ike to zig zag back into the five ball and destroy your combo. Just needs to move those balls an inch or two. Easy to do.

That two rail kick into the stack option will cause you a ball and his reply might not cost him any because those balls are so close to the rail.
If he zig zags back, you are likely to have a much better angle to play the bank, and he could/should be jacked up to make his shot harder.

I would rather shoot a short rail shot jacked up than trying to hit the long rail bank jacked up. But I am an old guy with the yips.:D

TxOnePocket

If he zig zags back, you are likely to have a much better angle to play the bank, and he could/should be jacked up to make his shot harder.

I would rather shoot a short rail shot jacked up than trying to hit the long rail bank jacked up. But I am an old guy with the yips.:D
Don't forget with ton's of experience and wisdom, in 100% agreement plus that jacked up bank can go badly a lot of ways.

OneRock

Verified Member
I would take a foul.... kick 2 rails back and forth underneath stack to catcher's mitt. Try and freeze him on back of 15 ball.
If the 3 doesnt pass the 5 clean then I would shoot the same shot but play off the 5 super thin.
You cant leave ike that kick on the 5 8.
This is the only viable option, imo.

Nick B

Verified Member
I would try this since no spin on the cue ball is required. If it goes I have position on the twelve ball, if not, it's protected by the stack.
The eight ball appears to be enough out of the way to allow a decent hit on the cue ball.

View attachment 25245
Frank is the man. Lots of value in this if you get him behind stack and hide your pocket where he can't kick back to those three balls.

catkins

Verified Member
I am banking the three ball at the stack and hitting cue ball with a Bit of right mase to hit top short rail and right side rail and cue ball back to the stack

Attachments

TxOnePocket

Moving the 5 ball starts to look better and better, since we think his only recourse is to two rail back to where he was, because the 5 ball just changed his shot.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I am in the camp of coming off the 5 ball and 2 rails into the stack.

beatle

Verified Member
as usual im mostly with frank on this shot. but to vary a little as i cant tell where i can hit on the cueball. if i can get some draw especially inside i will shoot to bank it and come back to the short rail.

if not top and bank it to make it or put it close and go across and up some to cover. if needed i would bank it into the three balls to go up and cover.

i dont want to be on a scratch with no balls open for me to stymie him.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
No offense meant

No offense meant

I am banking the three ball at the stack and hitting cue ball with a Bit of right mase to hit top short rail and right side rail and cue ball back to the stack
That shot looks impossible.
If it is would someone video it? I’d like to know how to play that