Ghost vs. Ike 1 - the end game - wwyd

wincardona

Verified Member
If the angle lays to cut the 7 towards the 3/1, while focusing on leaving whitey on the long rail just below the side pocket, I think that is a good, simple solution.

The straight back or the two-railer on the 8 from there will be low percentage, and would force him to let go of the cue ball.

I like the amount of control this shot offers, very little chance of hitting it bad or giving up anything easy.
DITTO..DITTO...DITTO...:D;)

Cutting the 7ball towards the 3ball seems to be fairly simple to me, this shot doesn't leave any offensive shots for my opponent plus it doesn't leave a trapping shot like some of the other options may leave.

Dropping below the 3ball or even parallel to the 3ball off the 7ball may leave a return bank on either the 1ball 3ball, or 7ball, or possibly the 8ball if it's moved, with the ability to position the cue ball behind the 1ball or 3ball. Try to stay in front of balls that are positioned near mid table this way you only giving up straight back banks. Dropping behind balls that are positioned near mid table usually opens the door for your opponent to get creative, so with that understanding you must be sure where the balls will end up when you opt to drop behind balls that are positioned around mid table.

Playing off the 7ball seems like a viable option providing you know where the 7ball will end up. From the angle shown it looks iffy to me on where exactly the 7ball will end up, and that's providing the hit is executed well.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

treeMan

Verified Member
Try to stay in front of balls that are positioned near mid table this way you only giving up straight back banks. Dropping behind balls that are positioned near mid table usually opens the door for your opponent to get crteative, so with that understanding you must be sure where the balls will end up when you opt to drop behind balls that are positioned around mid table.

Dr. Bill
Nuggets nuggets, come get your nuggets.

I really appreciate it when a choice or tactic is explained and bolstered with the principle behind it. Thank you Dr Bill.

tree

LSJohn

Verified Member
Nuggets nuggets, come get your nuggets.

I really appreciate it when a choice or tactic is explained and bolstered with the principle behind it. Thank you Dr Bill.

tree
I wanted to say the same thing about the same thing but didn't get around to it. We often get the same kind of thing from Tom.

thanks, tree.

[I sometimes want to give a detailed explanation of my thinking.... then I realize, Who gives a f*** why I chose that stupid s**t? :p]

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
I don't see anything I like, that doesn't leave something...for an opponent like Ike.

So, I'm shooting the 10 in the corner and 2 or likely 3 rail cb back to where it is now. Then hope the 8 or 7 prevents Ike from shooting the spotted 10 at his hole.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
If the angle lays to cut the 7 towards the 3/1, while focusing on leaving whitey on the long rail just below the side pocket, I think that is a good, simple solution.

The straight back or the two-railer on the 8 from there will be low percentage, and would force him to let go of the cue ball.

I like the amount of control this shot offers, very little chance of hitting it bad or giving up anything easy.

BINGO!....Clyde, I've taught you too well - you use a lot of my own defensive strategy against me now..:mad:...:)...

DITTO..DITTO...DITTO...:D;)

Cutting the 7ball towards the 3ball seems to be fairly simple to me, this shot doesn't leave any offensive shots for my opponent plus it doesn't leave a trapping shot like some of the other options may leave.

Dropping below the 3ball or even parallel to the 3ball off the 7ball may leave a return bank on either the 1ball 3ball, or 7ball, or possibly the 8ball if it's moved, with the ability to position the cue ball behind the 1ball or 3ball. Try to stay in front of balls that are positioned near mid table this way you only giving up straight back banks. Dropping behind balls that are positioned near mid table usually opens the door for your opponent to get creative, so with that understanding you must be sure where the balls will end up when you opt to drop behind balls that are positioned around mid table.

Playing off the 7ball seems like a viable option providing you know where the 7ball will end up. From the angle shown it looks iffy to me on where exactly the 7ball will end up, and that's providing the hit is executed well.

Dr. Bill

BINGO again!...no surprise here, because re. strategy and moving, we usually think/analyze the same way - which becomes apparent when we play each other...(and after all, we are two of the three blind mice :heh)

Yep, this was my shot, for exactly all of the spot on reasons that Clyde and Billy gave...it's a simple to execute, and very safe shot - what more could you want....here's how I left Ike ----->

PS, And yes, in case any enquiring minds want to know :cool: the 10 blocks making the the 2-railer on the 1ball.

Attachments

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
Yep, this was my shot, for exactly all of the spot on reasons that Clyde and Billy gave...it's a simple to execute, and very safe shot - what more could you want....here's how I left Ike ----->
Nice try, but after I 3-4 rail that 0ne-ball to the first diamond on my long rail with CB hidden behind the 3-7, you'll be sorry you ever gave me that 11-5 I need. :D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Nice try, but after I 3-4 rail that 0ne-ball to the first diamond on my long rail with CB hidden behind the 3-7, you'll be sorry you ever gave me that 11-5 I need. :D
Why do that, when you could just kick the 8ball cross-corner into your pocket, and run out...:eek:...:heh

jtompilot

Verified Member
From here it looks like you can two rail the 1 with the 3/7 as blockers.
You can have the cookie, it don't like it. It looks burnt

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
... Yep, this was my shot, for exactly all of the spot on reasons that Clyde and Billy gave...it's a simple to execute, and very safe shot - what more could you want. ...
Good shot, Ghost. Simpler is usually better!

AND, congratulations on putting up your choice in only 28 hours. That's something of a record for you.;)

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
Good shot, Ghost. Simpler is usually better!

AND, congratulations on putting up your choice in only 28 hours. That's something of a record for you.;)

~Doc
I think 48 hrs. is a good turn around time to answer wwyd's, at least that would keep the interest at a higher level which would be very beneficial to those who want to learn more about the game of one pocket. Thanks to all that keep the wwyd's going, I know it's a lot of work and I appreciate all who partake in it. Including you Doc.:D

Dr. Bill

unoperro

Verified Member
These wwyd are so difficult because of photo distortion,unknown table conditions and so on.

Here for example your shot appears impossible from the photos.
I just think the 7 has to travel more, or whitey moves less?
I am NOT saying it didnt happen.
I mean no offense.
Is that a red circle cueball?

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
These wwyd are so difficult because of photo distortion,unknown table conditions and so on.

Here for example your shot appears impossible from the photos.
I just think the 7 has to travel more, or whitey moves less?
I am NOT saying it didnt happen.
I mean no offense.
Is that a red circle cueball?
No offense taken onedog....Chris's has several type cueballs, I don't remember which one we were using here....as for the pics - actually I think they display pretty accurately how the balls reacted and ended up...no offense, but I think your analyzing is a little off = the 7 was cut very thin, so it wouldn't travel any further than what you see in the pic..and the thin cut on the 7 doesn't hold up the cueball at all, letting it, roll further.

- Ghost

unoperro

Verified Member
No offense taken onedog....Chris's has several type cueballs, I don't remember which one we were using here....as for the pics - actually I think they display pretty accurately how the balls reacted and ended up...no offense, but I think your analyzing is a little off = the 7 was cut very thin, so it wouldn't travel any further than what you see in the pic..and the thin cut on the 7 doesn't hold up the cueball at all, letting it, roll further.

- Ghost
The thin cut I understand,but cueball appears to be 90° from cut. This requires draw,so,I thought the 7 had to travel further?

Like I said it's hard to see off these pictures:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I think 48 hrs. is a good turn around time to answer wwyd's, at least that would keep the interest at a higher level which would be very beneficial to those who want to learn more about the game of one pocket. Thanks to all that keep the wwyd's going, I know it's a lot of work and I appreciate all who partake in it. Including you Doc.:D Dr. Bill
Hey, WAIT A MINUTE! You were the one who suggested a couple of years ago that we keep the WWYDs to 24 hours. So ever since, I've been a good sport, and have been sticking to that schedule, along with encouraging others to do so as well. NOW it's 48 HOURS?!:confused: Have you and Ghost been colluding?;)

You are SO fickle......:D

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Hey, WAIT A MINUTE! You were the one who suggested a couple of years ago that we keep the WWYDs to 24 hours. So ever since, I've been a good sport, and have been sticking to that schedule, along with encouraging others to do so as well. NOW it's 48 HOURS?!:confused: Have you and Ghost been colluding?;)

~Doc
Doc....I just wait awhile to try and give everybody who wants to, a chance to post their choice...actually, I've been thinking of waiting a week to put up the shot results..:eek:..so as to give jerry matchin a chance to finally get around to putting up his choice...:heh...:D

wincardona

Verified Member
Doc....I just wait awhile to try and give everybody who wants to, a chance to post their choice...actually, I've been thinking of waiting a week to put up the shot results..:eek:..so as to give jerry matchin a chance to finally get around to putting up his choice...:heh...:D
I like that, it's those inconspicuous things that others don't notice that makes you the player you are, kinda. That was funny.:D

That's one of the reasons that I went from 24hrs. to 48hrs. with my recommendation on the turn around time. Whats up Jerry?

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member

~Doc
Doc, why you busting my balls? I guess you have never reconsidered on something you stated? Well, do you like 48hrs as an option? ;)

Dr. Bill