Ghost vs. Donn 24 wwyd?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
I like Henderson's shot. Bank the 12 0ff the 5 and try to leave whitey on the bottom rail.

beatle

Verified Member
i dont want to move any of his balls at this time. as that keeps me from leaving him uptable in the next few moves if i needed to.

that is why i wont shoot the 3 ball as if he gets me behind those three balls then i may not be able to go up table as his hole is now open. i do like the shot though if you can get the cue ball up some and hide him. even then too many chances an easy bank open up.

my best % chance of winning from here looks to me to open my three balls and get one close and put him up table blocked. that instantly makes me the favorite in the game as opposed to me being a decent dog with this layout playing down table.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I'm not sure if it's my number 1 choice here - it would partly depend on who I am playing..but I'm surprised that nobody has chosen to bank the 10 straight back, either to make it, or to play it into the three ball cluster, and let the cueball carom off of the 4 to settle down by the head rail..and with the 2 or the 12 blocking him from the 3ball.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Tobermory

Verified Member
From the end of the table, the balls don't go easily into his hole, so the ten ball bank is definitely my shot. I’d shoot it with enough low left and the right stroke to turn the 10 ball and the right speed to stay above the 4 ball, and then come one rail off the long rail and billiard into the 13 to leave the cue ball behind the 4. It looks to lie perfectly for this shot. If the 10 goes in, I could cut the 4 or the 10, depending on how it lies. If it doesn’t go in, I hope it will be close to my hole or even better, will bump the 1/9 and make it better for me than it is now.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From the end of the table, the balls don't go easily into his hole, so the ten ball bank is definitely my shot. If it doesn’t go in, I hope it will be close to my hole or even better, will bump the 1/9 and make it better for me than it is now.
"Ask and you shall receive" :) = as I posted earlier >>>

I'm not sure if it's my number 1 choice here - it would partly depend on who I am playing..but I'm surprised that nobody has chosen to bank the 10 straight back, either to make it, or to play it into the three ball cluster, and let the cueball carom off of the 4 to settle down by the head rail..and with the 2 or the 12 blocking him from the 3ball.

- Ghost

catkins

Verified Member
I like rolling on the 9 looking to leave the cue ball between the 9 and the 15. I like the place this puts him and feel I will probably get a shot out of the return

J.R.

Verified Member
My first inclination, which is offensive, is to kick behind the 3-ball. My second inclination, which is defensive, is to roll the cue ball off the 12-ball behind the 3-ball. I would probably go offensive and move the 3-ball from my opponent's pocket and bring it to lightly strike the three ball cluster near my pocket.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Here is another possibility. Over bank the six ball into the nine and one balls and send the cue ball softly towards the thirteen using the four as cover.

It would be nice to loosen those three balls up and using the ten to do it looks very risky, especially if the two passes the three.

Tom

Island Drive

Verified Member

- Ghost
oops...........meant the six. lol

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
i dont want to move any of his balls at this time. as that keeps me from leaving him uptable in the next few moves if i needed to.

that is why i wont shoot the 3 ball as if he gets me behind those three balls then i may not be able to go up table as his hole is now open. i do like the shot though if you can get the cue ball up some and hide him. even then too many chances an easy bank open up.

my best % chance of winning from here looks to me to open my three balls and get one close and put him up table blocked. that instantly makes me the favorite in the game as opposed to me being a decent dog with this layout playing down table.
I like your thought process, however depending in where uptable the CB ends up the 3, 8, 7, all go. Also giving up a kick into the cluster is bad news. The 7 is especially bad because if the 7 is made that will probably get another good after moving the cluster.

I’m torn between Hendys and Jeff’s shot. The perfect shot would be to bank the 12 firm off the 5 and kick the 3 towards your hole moving two balls towards your hole. That will leave a pressure bank on the 2 though.

The shooter is in a tough spot. Every shot I see has the potential to go bad, even the simple ones into the cluster. Banking the 10 might have the least downfall. In the end you have to pick the shot your most comfortable with.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
1st choice; Right now Ghost's 3 ball is protected, therefore I am ducking, by skimming off the 12 going in-behind the 3, protecting the 3 balls by my hole. Donn has plenty of open balls going to his hole, so I am waiting for the return shot.

2nd. choice; Also I like JrHendy's shot of banking the 12 into the 5, but I would endeavor to have the cb go to the foot rail and then spin off and go behind the 3. I need that blocker if I can get it. Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I'm not sure if it's my number 1 choice here - it would partly depend on who I am playing..but I'm surprised that nobody has chosen to bank the 10 straight back, either to make it, or to play it into the three ball cluster, and let the cueball carom off of the 4 to settle down by the head rail..and with the 2 or the 12 blocking him from the 3ball.- Ghost
Well, your old bro Doc did suggest that shot in post #8. Not a bad choice.

~Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
1st choice; Right now Ghost's 3 ball is protected, therefore I am ducking, by skimming off the 12 going in-behind the 3, protecting the 3 balls by my hole. Donn has plenty of open balls going to his hole, so I am waiting for the return shot.

2nd. choice; Also I like JrHendy's shot of banking the 12 into the 5, but I would endeavor to have the cb go to the foot rail and then spin off and go behind the 3. I need that blocker if I can get it. Whitey
From near the 3 the 2 ball bank looks too good to pass up sending the CB to the opposite long rail between the rail and 6. I don’t mind giving up a tough bank from the bottom rail after moving some balls my way but not from anywhere by the 3 without a few threats.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From near the 3 the 2 ball bank looks too good to pass up sending the CB to the opposite long rail between the rail and 6. I don’t mind giving up a tough bank from the bottom rail after moving some balls my way but not from anywhere by the 3 without a few threats.
You are missing that by using the 12 to skim off to duck behind the 3 then the 12 blocks the bank on the 2. Also if you use the 12 to bank into the 5 then the possibility of producing more balls to Donn's hole could very well negate the banking of the 2 when coming off the foot rail and ducking behind the 3.

Plus moving the 12 & 5 opens it up for Donn for now the 3 is in jeopardy to be cross corner bank without selling out to those two balls for now there are not there, so now Ghost has to protect the 3. Chess like! Whitey

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
You are missing that by using the 12 to skim off to duck behind the 3 then the 12 blocks the bank on the 2. Also if you use the 12 to bank into the 5 then the possibility of producing more balls to Donn's hole could very well negate the banking of the 2 when coming off the foot rail and ducking behind the 3.

Plus moving the 12 & 5 opens it up for Donn for now the 3 is in jeopardy to be cross corner bank without selling out to those two balls for now there are not there, so now Ghost has to protect the 3. Chess like! Whitey
Good call wise man

Hardmix

Verified Member
I am banking the 10 into the 1 or at my pocket.... Whichever allows me to settle the CB on the top rail behind the 4.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
It would be nice to loosen those three balls up and using the ten to do it looks very risky, especially if the two passes the three.

Tom
Tom...the two does not pass the three - if it did, I wouldn't be liking the 10ball bank.

"2 or 12" seems very un-Ghost-like.
Johnny...I like to throw fate a bone every once-in-awhile...:eek:...:heh

Well, your old bro Doc did suggest that shot in post #8.

~Doc
Sorry Doc, my bad - you were "Johnny on the spot"...:heh

- Ghost

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
I'm trying to figure out, why banking the 6 into that cluster is not good. It would be impossible to miss that ball cluster if you cross the 6 with a VERY controllable lagging cue ball.

Banking the ten tho has allot more going on....you could...1. make it....2. miss the cluster short....3. miss it long. Why would no one want to take this shot? :confused: