Ghost vs. Clyde 6 wwyd

senor

Verified Member
I don't like your shot because it opens up too many balls on the opponents side of the table and doesn't present a threat to him in the process. Actually the only shot I like from the shots that have been discussed is Strouds shot, but even his shot could end up costing him if he allows his opponent to shoot off the left side of the 4ball and send the spotted ball toward his pocket and at the same time rolling the cue ball behind the 6ball. :eek:

If i'm in this spot i'm doing something simple and effective, in terms of getting back to the table to make something happen. My shot would be to simply roll off the 4ball to end up in back of the 14ball near the side rail. From there my opponent cannot do anything to put me in trouble and the next time I come back to the table I will be in a better position then i'm in now.

Dr. Bill
Yes it does have the potential of opening two or three open balls instead of one on his side. Could be a fair trade with the 7/3 opening up.

You described a good shot provided there are no return options with the 7 ball -- doesn't look like there would be.

LSJohn

Verified Member
I don't like your shot because it opens up too many balls on the opponents side of the table and doesn't present a threat to him in the process. Actually the only shot I like from the shots that have been discussed is Strouds shot, but even his shot could end up costing him if he allows his opponent to shoot off the left side of the 4ball and send the spotted ball toward his pocket and at the same time rolling the cue ball behind the 6ball. :eek:

If i'm in this spot i'm doing something simple and effective, in terms of getting back to the table to make something happen. My shot would be to simply roll off the 4ball to end up in back of the 14ball near the side rail. From there my opponent cannot do anything to put me in trouble and the next time I come back to the table I will be in a better position then i'm in now.

Dr. Bill
What I like about this is it's really easy to execute and blocks the two sensible lanes to kick at the 6, and it saves a ball. With my shot (foul behind the 10) he can kick the 6.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Shoot the 7/3 combo off the 11 ball, and carom the cue ball off the 14 to the foot rail and out a little.

treeMan

Verified Member
The best shot here imo is to move the six to more makeable spot while hiding the cue ball. You don't want to bump the 12 obviously because you could give up a bank on the 11 if you do.

If you can achieve the outcome I show, you severely cut down the areas of the table where your opponent could leave you safe. It looks like an easy rolling ball with maybe a touch of right spin would get there.

Whenever I have a situation where a ball on my side is close to the short rail, I will look to bump it over closer to the long rail and hide behind the stack. The opponent can no longer leave me up table and I gain the advantage.

tree

Attachments

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
The best shot here imo is to move the six to more makeable spot while hiding the cue ball. You don't want to bump the 12 obviously because you could give up a bank on the 11 if you do.

If you can achieve the outcome I show, you severely cut down the areas of the table where your opponent could leave you safe. It looks like an easy rolling ball with maybe a touch of right spin would get there.

Whenever I have a situation where a ball on my side is close to the short rail, I will look to bump it over closer to the long rail and hide behind the stack. The opponent can no longer leave me up table and I gain the advantage.

tree
I'd agree if not for being jacked up over the 2. That makes a slow sidespin shot difficult.

pj
chgo

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Actually the only shot I like from the shots that have been discussed is Strouds shot could end up costing him if he allows his opponent to shoot off the left side of the 4ball and send the spotted ball toward his pocket and at the same time rolling the cue ball behind the 6ball, as the Ghost said he would do :eek:

Dr. Bill

Without another ball on the spot the Ghost's suggestion to make the four ball with a carom will be difficult and risky if you leave him near the pocket that is in the diagonal to yours.

Frank...I would of course be playing the 4ball with whatever natural carom angle I had, that would result in leaving the cueball behind the 6 - meaning, I would be playing cueball first...if this angle allowed me to shoot to make the carom, than I would....and if that shot isn't there, Stroud's choice is no good anyway..cuz all I would have to do in reply is shoot into the foot rail and kick the 6 out of there - and with the cueball stopping there, there's no cross-corners, or offensive opportunities available in the stack.

- Ghost

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
another view ----->
I cannot believe no one has seen this shot. Simple is better. The 14 is out just enough to hit it and roll back into the 10. Even if you hit the four first, with the same speed, you are in no danger.

Can't wait to play you guys at Derby City.:lol Gonna be like finding a birds nest on the ground.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, Clyde agreed with LSJohn, Billy, and John H. - he wanted to freeze me behind the 10ball...and hey LSJohn - you might have to take a foul to get there, but Clyde didn't - he's a youngster/31 yrs. old - he's got those young eyes we used to have..:(...he grazed the 4ball, hit it real good, almost perfect, but not quite perfect because I'm not completely froze, I have a little air...he left me here -----> what should I do?

PS, I can see all of the 2ball.

Attachments

LSJohn

Verified Member
Well, Clyde agreed with LSJohn, Billy, and John H. - he wanted to freeze me behind the 10ball...and hey LSJohn - you might have to take a foul to get there, but Clyde didn't - he's a youngster/31 yrs. old - he's got those young eyes we used to have..:(...he grazed the 4ball, hit it real good, almost perfect, but not quite perfect because I'm not completely froze, I have a little air...he left me here -----> what should I do?

I can't see the exact angle on the 1, but follow it with whatever speed you need to get to the long rail behind the 11-2.If you can make it doing that, so much the better (after it's spotted there's a carom off the 7 that might be shootable for you from lots of angles.)

LSJohn

Verified Member

Oh, wait... you said $10 a game, right?

Thin the 2, carom off the 11, go two rails out of the corner, then two more out of the opposite corner and snuggle behind the 6.

Piece of ($10) cake. :D

ulikastr8pool

If possible, I like banking the 5 one rail to my hole and sending the cue ball 3 rails, with inside, towards my opponent's pocket.

jtompilot

Verified Member
Depends on the angle, one or two rail the 5 into the 15 or 2. Those two balls carom to your side drawing the CB to the second diamond

androd

Verified Member
Depends on the angle, one or two rail the 5 into the 15 or 2. Those two balls carom to your side drawing the CB to the second diamond
Wow I thought I was the only gofer here. :)
Is drawing your CB done to prevent any leakage. :D:p
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member

My question isn't if he you can see the 2ball but if you can see the 14ball. If the edge of the 14ball is available then I would play off the 14ball and drop to the head rail utilizing the 5ball as a blocker for the 10ball. It's important to protect the 10ball for several reasons. The 10ball is positioned well for the shooter and possibly at some point he may be able to pocket it and do some damage. The 10ball is positioned nicely for your opponent as well, a ball where your opponent can shoot and stick you to the stack off of, and by allowing him to see the 10ball you may just offer him up the angle to do that as well. And lastly, you really don't want to leave the angle for your opponent to shoot the 10ball into the ball to it's left and stick the cue ball and at the same time move multiple balls toward his pocket.:eek:

Now that you have protected the 10ball and dropped to the top rail your opponent will be a great distance from all the balls and will have a problem finding a good side of any ball as a return option.

If you cannot see the 14ball then I would pinch draw off the 10ball and position the cue ball in basically the same position as it would end up in off the 14ball.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
My question isn't if he you can see the 2ball but if you can see the 14ball. If the edge of the 14ball is available then I would play off the 14ball and drop to the head rail utilizing the 5ball as a blocker for the 10ball. It's important to protect the 10ball for several reasons. The 10ball is positioned well for the shooter and possibly at some point he may be able to pocket it and do some damage. The 10ball is positioned nicely for your opponent as well, a ball where your opponent can shoot and stick you to the stack off of, and by allowing him to see the 10ball you may just offer him up the angle to do that as well. And lastly, you really don't want to leave the angle for your opponent to shoot the 10ball into the ball to it's left and stick the cue ball and at the same time move multiple balls toward his pocket.:eek:

Now that you have protected the 10ball and dropped to the top rail your opponent will be a great distance from all the balls and will have a problem finding a good side of any ball as a return option.

If you cannot see the 14ball then I would pinch draw off the 10ball and position the cue ball in basically the same position as it would end up in off the 14ball.

Dr. Bill
I can't see the 14ball...

I got down on ullika's around-the-world bank on the 5ball a couple of times, but I couldn't pull the trigger because I decided I would for sure run into the 15ball with the cueball...

I can't 2-rail and follow the 5ball on down, because if I don't get Clyde dead on the rail, he's going to fo-sure fire the 10 ball 3-rails, possibly even into the 15 and 2balls, sticking me on the 1 and 8balls - and I'll be in big trouble...

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
...wasn't much to do here, so I rolled up on the 2, putting Clyde back where he was the previous inning ----->

PS, Note to crabcatJohn...almost your shot, but not good to shoot this as you suggested in post #34, because by pocketing the 2, I would be opening up his 15ball - as is, those two balls are no good to him.

PPS, I accidentally left Clyde a good angle to 3-rail the 15, and draw whitey back behind the stack - that had the potential to be a killer shot - I was glad that Clyde didn't see it...:)

Attachments

baby huey

Verified Member
I like San Gabriel John's shot. It's the easiest to accomplish and keeps the six in play for your side. It does not change the game too much however in terms of who is in control. I really didn't see a power shot available is this scenario.